Earrings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earrings?

I am a firefighter (male) and have been for 9 years. I have had (1) earring since I was 14 and recently got another one. I have worn them to the station and dont really see a problem with it. I was wondering if your department allows firefighters to wear them and what you think of it? Thank you for your imput.
    Andrew J. LaPrise

I'm older than dirt and as they say as you get older the terms broad minds and narrow hips simply reverse. Although I personally wouldn't be caught dead with a hole in my ear or anywhere else for that matter unless I decided to take up being a pirate, I will defend your right to do so vehemenently (or however you spell it). Unless your department has rules stating no members can wear them then in my opinion you have every right to. If you have rules saying it is OK for female members but not males then that is wrong. A rule for one member is a rule for all members.

Comment

My Volunteer Dept. has no issues with members of either gender having earrings or nose rings,provided they do not interfere with the correct fit or function of required safety equipment. Nor should they.
      On a personal note, I do find that the SCBA shoulder straps can irritate my nipple rings, if I don't get the straps tight enough.
      But I kinda like it.

William

Comment

Earrings are only an "issue" at the fire academy as is all jewelry and long hair (guys and girls). They don't want you getting hurt/burned. I take all of my earrings out for the fire academy. And I make a conscious effort to remove my hoops as I drive to the station because of the SCBA and turnout coat collar. Haven't had any problems with the belly button ring, either.....LOL.
        "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
        -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

william: That is certainly a personal problem and probably should've stayed that way. I have a buddy, career FF/P, who had the Prince Albert piercing for a while. Anyone who isn't familiar with the Prince Albert, do a search for it. I'm sure you'll find some interesting photos. It wasn't really a problem for him because no one could see it. If someone did see it, well, then he may have very well had some explaining to do.

My department doesn't have a policy and I can only think of one guy that wears an earring (we have 2 females). As long as they are somewhat tasteful and do not interfere with any PPE, no problem. I had my ear pierced about 14 yrs ago. Still have the hole but rarely fill it.

Good Day!
          Lt. D. Gordon
          Greendale Fire Department
          Greendale, IN

Comment

Prince Albert

Gordo..... I sit here LMAO cuz when I was getting my tattoo a guy came in for a Prince Albert. Now imagine my shock when (keep in mind as it was my back getting tattoed I had to straddle the chair backwards so I faced the rest of the "work area") this guy DROPPED his pants and the girl started to apply the anesthetic Most interesting to say the least. I think I am scarred for life after that LOL
            To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Comment

OUCH!

I must've asked my friend "why" a thousand times. He never really came up with a good answer. To this day I cannot imagine how one decides that doing that to oneself is a good thing to do.

I feel for you having to witness such a thing. Might I suggst some counseling?
              Lt. D. Gordon
              Greendale Fire Department
              Greendale, IN

Comment

Guys wearing earings are still not common enough in society to be considered the norm. So we (guys) shouldn't wear earings on duty. It is normal to see girls in earings but for safety reasons they should be restricted to plain studs for on duty wear.

We should make an attempt to fit into the norms of conservitave society while on duty when we go into someones house and are all full of holes, right or wrong the public makes some assumptions about us. Males on duty can't wear earings by me.

Comment

What are the "norms of a conservative society"?
                  IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Originally posted by ADSNWFLD
                    Guys wearing earings are still not common enough in society to be considered the norm. So we (guys) shouldn't wear earings on duty. We should make an attempt to fit into the norms of conservitave society while on duty when we go into someones house and are all full of holes, right or wrong the public makes some assumptions about us. Males on duty can't wear earings by me.
                    Good point. All firemen should have to fit into the conservative norm of their area. New York City firemen in the Battery Park area should wear business suits under their turnouts. Miami beach firemen should wear speedos (for the younger ones), or a flowered Hawaiian shirt, green shorts, black socks pulled up to their knees, black loafers, and those black, virtual reality, sunglasses (for the older ones). Texas firemen should design leathers in the shape of cowboy hats. Boston firemen should design leathers like the old colonial hats (feather and all). And finally, San Francisco firemen should all come out of the closet (out of the broom closet, that is, to, um, ya know, sweep out the engine bay).

After all, we wouldn't want to offend anyone, right?

Stay Safe
                    Last edited by PAVolunteer; 01-28-2003, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Oh, and by the way, that bridge our department is trying to sell is still available. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Here is a picture.

Stay Safe
                      Attached Files

Comment

I really don't see anything wrong with an earring. In fact, this thread comes along as I am debating whether or not to have another hole punched in my head. I think as long as they aren't too "loud" or "Mr. T" like, it should be fine. As with anything, common sense should prevail. Just a simple stud should be ok.
                        Life is only temporary, but freedom goes on forever. God bless those who gave all.

Comment

I personally think they are in poor taste for males and dont think they have a place when you are "on duty", but when you are off .....I am a firm believer in do your own thing ....
                          IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                          Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                          ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                          RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                          LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                          I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                          "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                          http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Earings as a most part should be your choice. But I think that if they are in the way of your PPE that you should get rid of them while your on-duty.

_____
                            Gone, But Not Forgotten - Our Fallen

Comment

If your uniform code specifies that ear rings or neck chains are ok, then wear them.

If it says nothing about them being a part of your uniform, then do not wear them.

PA, how much is the bridge?
                              Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                              Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X