No announcement yet.

Laptops on Apparatus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have an old laptop on one of our rescue trucks with HazMat software on it. It isn't mounted in the cab or anything though. It is in a laptop bag in a rear compartment. I wired shoreline power to the compartment to keep it charged.

I'm working on some mapping software for S&R incidents to put on a new laptop in the new rescue. Still a work in progress though.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

LA City FD have laptops on their apparatus. From memory they receive dispatch information direct to the laptop, as well as having preplan info. etc. Again, from memory they use Panasonic Toughbooks. The only problem I saw while riding with them was that the officer had to keep opening the cover/screen, as it tended to want to close up whenever the rig hit bumps or went round corners while running to a job.
      Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Comment

NM,
        We have a few laptops for my dept to use for S&R. We've been using, along with the 2 surrounding towns, software by Garmin. As far as I've seen, it's worked out great. The crews give GPS corordinates once every 15 minis, and we then plot out where they are, how close to other crews and their landspeed. If you have any questions, feel free to PM or email me.
        The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Comment

We've got Delorme TopoQuads that I am going to try and use. It has full topo maps and can even do 3D rendering. I've been gathering coordinates of various key locations to plot on the software as permanent markers. The greatest thing we can do with this is when someone calls from a GPS enhanced cell phone. The dispatcher can give us the coordinates of the phone, we pop them into the software, and bang... We get a picture of where the person is. Now command and the people making entry to the area have some idea of what they are going into. The crews can also take the handheld GPS with them and just walk towards the coordinates.

Like you said, the crews can report their own position as well, so command can see where they are on the map in relation to the victim and other land features. If they are walking towards a cliff, they can be directed around it for example.
          Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Someday We are looking at grants for a lap top in the DC car. If that works out, perhaps the other apparatus down the road. One of our Lt's and I have been converting our pre-fire plans over to computer for about a year, but have a long way to go.

Some of the departments in my area have had them for a while. Our county dispatch center is looking at way to tie the laptops into the CAD, but its just in the panning stages.
            Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
            RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
            Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

Our department is in the process of buying two Panasonic toughbook 29’s, one for our rescue and one for the chief’s car. We received a records management grant for eighteen thousand and what we would like to see is GPS in all our rigs and a 3 or more mile wireless connection for the toughbooks. As far as software we want to be able to type in the address get all priors on that residence and be able to save the patients medical history and anything else important. We need information on the long distance wireless internet connection if anyone has any experience with them.

Comment

we currently have them installed on our first out engines at each of our stations, currently have respond-ware software for mapping our entire city along with hydrants and pre plans for buildings, this software will map the quickest route to the scene by typing in the address, once we are tyed in to dispatch they can send the info to the mdt's when they tone us and it will be waiting on the screen for us when we leave the station. the mdt's are gps enabled so it updates the mapping screen as we get closer to the address that was entered in the screen. we also have haz mat software installed, that lists everything you would need to know about that product by name or placard numbers or by several other methods.we have just purchased the remaining mdt's for the remaining pumpers rescues and chiefs vehicles.you can check out an article about them at www.lcvfd.com. as for brands and some of the other specs you can e-mail me at [email protected] and i would gladly give any info i could.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. This will give me a place to start.

Lewie
                  Member I.A.C.O.J

Comment

All Lucas Co Fire/EMS/Law Enforcement jurisdictions have MDT's in them...they are Motorola products whose names escapes me. When they work they work great ....when they dont it creates problems since there is no sign when they go down.
                    Last edited by Weruj1; 02-14-2005, 11:45 AM.
                    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

San Antonio uses Panasonic Toughbooks for their laptop-MDT's on all apparattus. For the most part they work great although we had to disble the touchscreen feature. Bumpy roads would cause the layers of the screen to touch each other, leading to unintentional unit status changes/ run cancellations etc. Also sometimes the wireless internet connection will disconnect with loss of signal....kind of a pain in the *** but overall better than the old MDT's.

Comment

We put in 70 Motorola MW800's with a 1.7g processor, 512 meg ram, 40 G hard drive xga screen with about everything you could design or put in the system. Foot prints on building, gps, hydrants, haz mat, all high rises, owners, occupants and fire load, streets, mapping, plus much more
                        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Orlando Fire Department uses Panasonic CF28 Toughbooks on all apparatus. We receive dispatch/CAD/GPS and have begun implementing pre-fire plans. HazMat 1 carries 2 additional Toughbooks mounted in the office running modeling/reference and other software. All Toughbooks are removable and act as a unit identifier. If we swap into a reserve truck, just move it to the reserve and and dispatch automatically associates the unit ID with the reserve. No problems with the screen closing, the mounting bracket has an "arm" that supports the screen.

Comment

Our department uses Panasonic CF 28's on the fire apparatus and CF 72's for administration. We have not had any major problems with this computer. We experience more problems with the air card for the internet connection. Installed on all the units are Cameo, Aloha and Marplot as well as other programs that are department specific. We have not discussed the GPS installation as of yet. Having researched many different brands of computers you cannot go wrong with the Panasonic.
                            Last edited by BFDLT32; 03-07-2005, 09:36 PM.
                            K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
                            EVERYONE GOES HOME
                            IACOJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse