This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For The Gentleman who wanted Info On QUINTS

I didn't want to post in that other thread because it seemed like all that was going on was a bunch of bickering between people who can't see a TROUBLE-MAKING TRUCKIE when he rears his ugly little head up, ready to cause trouble for the quint lovers.

The St. Louis, Missouri Fire Department runs I think 36 quints (rough estimate), 5 hook and ladders and 2 rescues along with back-ups. They started this base system in 1988 with what they call the:

TOTAL QUINT CONCEPT

I don't live too far from St. Louis and have toured many a fire station on visits. I am here to tell you that their quints are extremely awesome and is the reason they have a CLASS 1 ISO RATING.

They are considered to be the cream of the crop. They have a report that they will send you talking all about why they went to quints and how it has affected the department for the better. It is unbelieveable all of the pluses... Just send a letter to head quarters and they will send you a copy. If you can't get one... E-mail me and I will see If I can find the copy they sent to us.

Also... Look back in firehouse magazine to either mid to late 2000 or early early 2001 and you will get an inside tour at their newest trucks and how they configured them all..... PRETTY SWEET!!!!! Oh and by the way... THE NEW QUINTS ARE ALL E-ONES!!!
    Adam Spencer
    Cadet Firefighter/First Responder
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa MO 65714

:::::: and is the reason they have a CLASS 1 ISO RATING.

They have not been rated since they bought their quints. St Louis, insurance rates are based on averages of loss not ISO rating. The Class one is just a part of the past. They are not scheduled to be rated again. SO, NO QUINTS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIR CLASS 1.

Ladders count as 7.6 points, pumpers 18.4 points...so that is 26 points. So if you score 26 points on a 100 point test you don't get a CLASS 1.

If you add in staffing they need 12 guys per rig for full credit (15 points). They don't run 12 per rig, so they couldn't maximize staffing or even carry that many guys.

:::: Oh and by the way... THE NEW QUINTS ARE ALL E-ONES!!!

NO, THEY ARE SMEALS

If you'd like some quint info go to:
    http://www.usfa.fema.gov/pdf/efop/efo28275.PDF
    http://www2.ci.wyoming.mi.us/fire/fire_training.htm
    http://www.jems.com/ffnews/fd2000/12index.html

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: the7tower ]

Comment

Do all of you trouble making truckies have to pick apart everything that is said?

Good God man.... act your age.... It says right in the report what they got their class 1 rating from....don't start this bickering bull**** in here.....this was simply for the man that asked... not for some retard like you that has to pick apart a thread meant to help to make himself feel all high and mighty.... I don't know all about the ISO test but I think it also has to do with man power and hydrant locations and just to let you know.....they run full crews on there quints.

Don't be such a jackass and make yourself come off as knowing it all.... AND FOR THE RECORD.....THE NEW QUINTS ARE E-ONE SMEALS....just look in the magazine....i forgot smeal....but eone had a part in them.... Have a nice day....and buck up...you'll get your turn on jeopardy someday....argue with alex.....he'll be willing to listen....
      Adam Spencer
      Nixa Fire District
      Nixa MO 65714

Comment

whoa. down boy.

i think the7tower was just trying to clarify some miscommunicated information.

(and i think he's mostly correct...)

take some of your own advice and spare us the bickering and name-calling. let's see what we can learn from eachother.

"trouble-making truckie"? please...

http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/fire/stlfdnews.html

The quints are not E-Ones, or E-One/Smeals, they are Smeals.
        God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
        Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
        Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

Quints are crap. Our 2nd due Co. has a Quint and they can't decide if is a truck or an engine so they F- us on alot of calls.

---------------

FFTex
          This is just my opinion, and opinions are like butts--everybody has one and most of them stink.

Comment

No reason to call names,

There is nothing in the report about earning a Class 1with quints, nothing in the magazine articles either.

I simply stated the facts. www.iso.com supports what I said. St Louis earned their rating pre-1964. That was 23 years before quints. ISO lists St Louis a department they no longer rate.

Smeal and E-One do not and have not ever built a fire truck together. Everything in St Louis is a Smeal on a Spartan chassis with a Hale pump.

Go to Smeals website for proof.

Hey if I’m wrong post the proof.

MOSTLY RIGHT? PLEASE SUpPORT THAT STATEMENTS WITH SOME FACTS.

Your neighbors can’t figure out if there rig is an engine or ladder. Sounds like a training thing, not a vehicle thing. Are your neighbors dumber than the guys from St Louis

Comment

Okay I'll admit being wrong and over-reacting... But I CANNOT STAND IT WHEN PEOPLE JUST PICK APART THINGS AND NIT PICK AT CRAP....

AND NOT ALL TRUCKIES ARE TROUBLE MAKERS!!!

ARE YA HAPPY NOW RIDGE????

AND I COULD ALMOST SWEAR THAT I SAW E-ONE SOMEWHERE ON THOSE QUINTS......OH WELL MUST HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THE HOOK AND LADDERS....ANYWAY.....IM SORRY....

HAVE A SAFE SHIFT EVERYONE!
              Adam Spencer
              Nixa Fire District
              Nixa MO 65714

Comment

Originally posted by the7tower:
                www.iso.com supports what I said. St Louis earned their rating pre-1964. That was 23 years before quints. ISO lists St Louis a department they no longer rate.
                I looked everywhere I could think of on that website - where does it list the departments and if they rate them or not?

Comment

I will try to step in for my fellow MO brother.

I work in St. Louis County and have run many calls in / with the city.

The quints are Smeal / Spartan

I think the 100ft platforms are Pierce

ISO of 1 (?) I don't think they are anymore as was stated.

The quints work well for them, they have been doing it for years. That's what happens when the city disbands truck co's and lay's off people. The guy's aren't given a choice of quints or truck co's, believe me.

I work on a 75ft quint that usually has 3 people on it, THAT is wrong. It isn't the truck, its the manning and training that creates problems, problems that SLFD dosen't really have.

What works for us may not work for you, but the fact is you work on whatever truck the city buy's to put in your firehouse.

Adam, save your steam, you have no idea who these people are or where they are from. They will pick apart anything you say, it isn't worth it.

Forget politicians, We are most definately our own worst enemy. (EC vs WC) wow.

Comment

Uhhhhh-Adam-mistaking a Smeal for a E one----I dont think pointing that mistake out is exactly nitpicking--- I hope you accept correction in real life a little better, or you could grow up to be a danger to both yourself and others.

Comment

Here is a nicely done article from FIRE RESCUE Magazine on the St. Louis Fire Department's new generation of quint fire apparatus.
                      http://www.jems.com/ffnews/fd2000/12index.html

These apparatus are assigned to their 30 Engine Companies (Pumpers on radio), there are two 125 ft versions of these assigned to two of their four H-&-L Companies, and they have 2 Rescue Squad Companies. One of the other H-&-L Companies is an E-One ladder tower. I don't know about the fourth H-&-L.

I would like to congradulate the St. Louis Fire Department for establishing such a fine fleet. StLFD did their homework on the designs of these quint apparatus. StLFD also has strict proceedures as to how a company functions on a fireground, and the training program to back it up. Good work, StLFD! I tip my leather to ya!

To young Mr. Spencer...

Hey Kid! Who are you to tell someone to act their age? You are a teenager yourself, and I can testify that I have seen 5 year olds act more maturely than you portray yourself in these forums. Grow up! If your mouth doesn't get you kicked out of the firehouse, you have your whole life ahead of you to get experience that will back up what you say.

Stay safe.

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]

Comment

Interesting to see this topic brought up,
                        I am originally from St. Louis County, but didn’t start firefighting until I got to college. Didn't start paying attention to such matters in St. Louis until I started coming home from school on breaks, some things have always puzzled me.
                        1. What are the SOPs for a quint to put its ladder in service? Does this mean that they are now acting as a truck?
                        2. Do they carry ground ladders?
                        3. What is the training like (Roger)?
                        4. What is the city/county interaction like? I would think that this would be the most interesting on the north side with the smaller municipalities.
                        5. Do you think that we can sign Jason Giambi? If so where does Albert play?

Thanks for the help.
                        I bleed Cardinal Red,
                        Jeff

Comment

I can only base my answers on conversations that I have had through the years with different Firefighter of the StLFD.

1. What are the SOPs for a quint to put its ladder in service? Does this mean that they are now acting as a truck? First in is pumper, second in is truck.

2. Do they carry ground ladders? Yup!

3. What is the training like (Roger)? Starts in the academy, then on the job, in the form of drills, continuing education, in services, etc.

I again wish to state that I can only base my answers on conversations that I have had through the years with different Firefighters of the StLFD. I have met several, in visits to St Louis, at Missouri Fire Schools, and even on vacations out of state. (BTW, I love to sit around a camp fire with firefighters from anywhere and swap stories!)

Comment

I think the greatest insult to the quint concept is up here in Canada in Quebec City. They have a moderatly large departement (8 firehalls, going up to 15 soon). They use the FULL quint concept, no ladders, no pumpers, quints and minis all the way !!!
                            But the problem is, as in many other locations, that they underman these rigs. Instead of having 5 men, they only put 3 !
                            That means a first alarm gets 2 quints, 1 mini-pumper, a district chief. Total: 9 firefighters !

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: mattqc ]
                            mattqc

Comment

Okay.....look.....I was wrong...I said that...

I don't see how mistaking a make on an apparatus can make me a danger to myself and or a department...

Roger you are right... I should act more mature and I apologize to others on this forum. I still think that people should nit pick everything that is said... Or atleast they could be a little bit more friendly about it...

First in is pumper....second is ladder....third in is water supply and that is all i can remember.....

Roger was talking about the article I was speaking of..... Why I said firehouse magazine instead of fire-rescue I don't know but that is the article I was speaking of.... In the report they will lay it out for you head to toe of who what when where and why with their quints...

Once again I'm sorry for acting the way I did... But what someone said is true.... We can be our own worst enemies on here... We need not to insult each other and I am one to talk as I have done my fair share of insulting.... But I'll do better in the future....and I will my research....

BUT I COULD SWEAR THEY WERE E-ONES IN SOME FORM!!!!!! AGGHHH ITS DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!!
                              Adam Spencer
                              Nixa Fire District
                              Nixa MO 65714

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader