Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

3%-6% foam in water extinguishers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3%-6% foam in water extinguishers

Just curious how many departments use 3%-6% foam in "water" extinguishers? Now, I'm not talking about extinguishers marked on the label "Water or Foam", I'm talking about pouring the foam in the water extinguisher and mixing it with water.

I've seen this done, and wondered if anyone has had any problems with the extinguishers.

Thanks

We have used a product called Fuel Buster in water extinguishers for about 4 years. We mix 1 quart in a 2 1/2 gal water extinguisher. It has worked great on small fires.

Comment

Flochief,

Any problems with damage to the extinguisher itself from the fuel buster product? Pitting? Corrosion?

Comment

Sometimes......

When things are really dry, and we get woods fires that start to dig in deep into the moss, roots, Etc. we add a cup of liquid detergent to a 2 1/2 gal. water can. Works well if all you need is penetration. Never had a problem that I am aware of.... Stay Safe....
        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
        In memory of
        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

When we refill APW extinguishers, we dump a small amount of Class A from a bucket sitting around the station. Same stuff we use on the trucks.
          God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
          Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
          Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

Smoke,
            No problem yet, The extinguishers get used fairly often.

Comment

Like hwoods, we do the same thing in our forestry back packs.Pour about 1 1/2 cups of 3% into the reservoir and fill.It penetrates better and we've had no problems.

Comment

I put a cup of foam in a 2.5 gal pressure water extinguisher that I keep in my car. It works alot better on car fires than a 20# dry chem. If you don't have foam, dishwashing liquid works almost as well. I recommend Dawn since it cuts grease & petroleum products really well.

Only suggestion: put the foam/detergent in AFTER you've put in the water.
                Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Comment

We use foam or a product called "Cold Fire", don't know if its even available anymore.
                  "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
                  -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Comment

We now use a product called FIREAID2000. It is mixed with water in the can and labled as such. In our other water extinguisher we put our F500 foam (Class A and B rated).

The fireaid2000 stuff I have not yet seen used in the field, but the marketing video claimed one 2 1/2 gallon water extinguisher with the stuff mixed in is enough to put out a fully involved car fire. I'll believe that when I see it, but they did do it in the video ...so who knows. It is supposed to have a "rapid cooling effect". the Jury is still out on the thermodynamic principles behind that, but, if and when we use it (We have only had the stuff for about 2-3 months now) I'll post results.

Hey, if the stuff gives the water a lot more penetrating power, it's a force multiplier so what the heck. The way I see it, you can work a lot or, you can work smart. Choose wisely.
                    If you can keep your head about you, while those around you are losing theirs, then you will be a man my son.

Rudyard Kipling.

Comment

Most of these additives work real well. From an investigation standpoint, make sure you keep a copy of the MSDS around so the investigator knows what materials have been added to his scene if the ext. has been used on a fire that is being investigated.

There is at least one of these additives that uses a small amount of kerosene it.
                      PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

dish detergent

how much dish soap would u sue in a water can?

Comment

3% -6%

I don't suppose it is really either 3, or 6%, unless the ratio is right, right!

Comment

Mix Ratio..........................

You can work out what you need for your area, or the type of Fire that you're going after. A cup of liquid detergent is not the same as a 3% or 6% AFFF mix. Class A fuels, Brush Fires in particular, Liquid Detergent works well at one cup (8 ounces) to 2.5 gallons of water, and that is about a 2% Ratio. I'll get the Foam salesmen upset, but Liquid Detergent is Cost Effective when compared to class A foam, by about a 3 to 1 margin, 5 Gallons of Liquid detergent @ $4.00/Gallon is $20.00 compared to Class A Foam at $80.00 for a 5 gallon Pail. BUT, you do not get the Foam effect from Detergent, it is generally used as a wetting agent only, real Foam is for Blanketing, Etc.
                            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                            In memory of
                            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

We use AFFF (10 oz I think) in water cans on all trucks and some engines. Generally used for oil burner fires. HAZMAT companies also carry some other products premixed in water cans such as biosolve.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90