Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not for nothing guys but who cares!. I have given UFA (Uniformed Firefighters Assoc.) stickers and NYPD PBA stickers to friends. It shows that you're supporting the Unions not trying to pass yourself off as a fireman or policemen! I'm not a cop but I also have a PBA sticker on my car along with the UFA sticker. Don't sweat the small stuff. It's just a sticker.

Comment

Respectfully 1GoodTrk, I disagree.

I agree that people want to support the IAFF, the FOP or any other affiliate of the AFL-CIO. It's a wonderful thing that other members of civil service and the public in general want to show support for us. But I think it's probably a safe bet to say that the people who are bidding on these items on EBay are pretty much whackers.

I don't see the big deal in visiting the local fire station and ask about opportunities to show support for the IAFF, the DBA or any other group. You can even visit galls or powersiren and order a custom made sticker in a maltese cross fashion. These are all ways to show support for the IAFF without misrepresenting yourself.

This goes back to another forum topic from a little while ago. When in uniform, you represent the department you work for. By the same token, when you display an IAFF sticker, you represent the union and it's collective membership. We in civil service and public safety are constantly subject to the scrutiny of a pubic who often times doesn't understand and a power hungry media who is just waiting to jump on any little mistake we make. It isn't respectful to sell off on some auction site what so many people work to build and establish respect for. It's one thing to give a sticker to a friend you know to be a trustworthy person- it's quite another to SELL a symbol or our pride and heritage on a website. It begs the question of where the money from these sales are going: in the pocket of the seller or to the union where it oughta be...I'm not sure I wanna know the answer to that.
      My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Comment

Let me start off by saying that I am volunteer and I have NO IAFF anything anywhere...I'll leave that to my father-in-law who's a retired career captain...so don't attack me for anything like that...

I think someone getting the logo to pass themselves off as IAFF or to show they are a firefighter (when they are not union members or more in particular when they are volunteers) is wrong because they have the sticker for the wrong reasons, plus they didn't earn it. For the people who have the stickers to show support for you guys, don't attack them. Don't forget, they are on your side. Instead maybe get a sticker that has the union logo and something that says "I support the IAFF" or something along those lines. I don't know if there is anything like that currently available, but maybe someone should come up with another sticker for people who just want to show support if having the logo on their car bothers you that much.
        IACOJ Agitator
        Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

As a former member of the International I tend to agree with the majoriy on this issue. Volunteers & non-members should not display these stickers.

That being said ......

I left a department with an IAFF local for a department that has an AFGE (American Federation of Government Employee's)Firefighter Union (AFL-CIO affiliated). When I left the IAFF,I did not remove the International sticker & a bumper sticker from my vehicles. I have been asked what local I'm with & I tell who ever is asking that I was a member of local ____ but moved on to a different department.

I am proud of my membership with AFGE as they work in partnership with the IAFF on issues for ALL Federal & Department of Defense firefighters. I am also proud of the fact I was a member of the International & their longstanding fight for organized firefighters.........

Comment

There's a vast difference between an "I support" type sticker and a sticker that purports the owner to be a member of the union. Many people buy these stickers because, as Captain Gonzo stated, some people believe that sporting it will get them out of tickets. In my opinion, the people buying these things on Ebay are most likely of the same stock as those going around in the wake of 9-11 and posing as firefighters. I am not a union member, but I do support them. As such, you will never find me, or any other self-respecting person, in possession of a sticker that blatantly misrepresents my affiliations.
            IAFF
            PFANJ

Comment

Have any of you also noticed the people who are buying legitimate memorial shirts and then bidding them up to exorbitant amounts. I wonder if the victims funds are getting any of these additional proceeds?
              IAFF
              PFANJ

Comment

I am a volunteer firefighter and I couldn't agree more with what Adze posted about volunteers putting IAFF stickers on their vehicles. I have no problem with the IAFF, my brother is a member and I have no intentions of asking him for a sticker for my car nor would I expect him to give me one.
                Volunteers that put the stickers on their vehicles are wannabes. They should continue taking tests to get on a paid dept. and earn the priveledge to display the logo. Until then stick to a plain maltese cross sticker.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by 1GoodTruckie:
                  Not for nothing guys but who cares!. I have given UFA (Uniformed Firefighters Assoc.) stickers and NYPD PBA stickers to friends. It shows that you're supporting the Unions not trying to pass yourself off as a fireman or policemen! I'm not a cop but I also have a PBA sticker on my car along with the UFA sticker. Don't sweat the small stuff. It's just a sticker.

I just don't see how having an IAFF sticker on your window is showing support for the union. Showing support for the union is done by paying union dues, and going to union meetings.

Being an IAFF member and paying union dues is what gives someone the right to put the sticker in their window, anyone else is just trying to dodge a ticket or misrepresent themself.

Living the dream...

Comment

As a member of IAFF Local 2612---in a "right to work" state---this is a common but FRUSTRATING problem... Brothers give stickers to fellow ff's that are scabs, management, or relatives. We've found a Division Chief's SON with a "new" IAFF sticker on his SUV.... Our local has adopted a strict NO TOLERANCE stance---and these stickers are removed on-the spot!!! Sometimes---while we are being watched. ZERO TOLERANCE is the answer--and hopefully the the Exec. Board of the IAFF will address this issue w/ Ebay soon!!!!!!!!

In the meantime---display the colors and stand proud of OUR UNION---and challenge those that do not stand with you.

Comment

I have had people come to the station and even on calls!!! trying to buy IAFF stickers. one guy offered me $20 for one. of all these people do not many relized that it was a union sticker, they thought that it was simply a FD one. Their is a guy that goes by the name Rizzi that claims to be a retired FDNY member, though no record of his employment with FDNY has ever been found and we have looked, who sells IAFF stickers for $10 at the Broward Fire Academy in Davie Fl. When confronted he tells some story which is different every time. I have seen IAFF stuff on e-bay and have e-mailed them with no responce. I worked hard to be able to display my IAFF sticker and I get ****ED when I see some low life with one on his car.

J.R. L2928 Palm Beach County
                      Firefighters/Paramedics

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: FM61 ]

If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Lieutenant

Comment

In New Jersey the larger union for firefighters is the NJ F.M.B.A The I.A.F.F is in New Jersey but it is not as big. The P.F.A.N.J is part of the I.A.F.F here. You know what really bugs the hell out of me is when people get a hold of our local t-shirts. Local I mean with having the local # on it. Not to long ago I went to a bar near my house. There was this guy who was hammerd. He was rowdy and making a huge scene. He had a FMBA shirt on with MY local # and department name on it. I found out that he got it from a new probie. We fixed his *** real fast. As far as union stickers on non members cars that bugs me too. We give out "booster" stickers to people who help us with our fund drive. I worked very hard to get my job and EARNED the right to wear the shirt and place a sticker on my car. Now with what I am saying I don't mind if someone has my department shirt on just not the union shirt. I have other department shirts. I have a general rule. If I am going for a night of drinking and debauchery I will not wear my department shirt nor others. It does not matter if it's union or non union.
                        This space for rent

Comment

I will let my IAFF reps know about this, thanks for the post

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: DixieFire53 ]

DixieFire53, Deputy Fire Chief FF/EMT-P, Local 272

Comment

I understand the gripe, but if someone is selling an IAFF item as a "collectors item" (what every groupie calls their stuff even though they're "wanna-be's") can't be busted for it. It's not like the seller is making the stuff (usually) or telling people the sticker will get them out of a ticket or something. Yeah, I look at a lot of that stuff and thing "oh god, who's the idoit that made that- and who would want one?" But lets face it, there's not much we can do about it but chastise the people who put the stickers on their car and aren't members.

Besides, around here, when you see a sticker you can tell the firefighters from the wanna-be's.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X