FDNY and the Vindicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADSN/WFLD: Dont waste your energy!
    I think most of us know where your coming from.

Kirk

Comment

But, it's fun to watch him get cranked up!

Comment

How do you plan for a forklift hitting a sprinkler head?

Who will come out at 9PM Christmas eve to fix a fire pump? ... Forget Christmas eve, who comes out at 9PM saturday night... The system stays down until Monday morning.

Detectors go bad, physical damage puts pull stations OOS, It happens everywhere. Don't BS people into thinking that if you have a sprinkler and an alarm system nothing bad can happen in your district.

"systems overlap"? are you saying that more than one riser feeds the same area? That would be neat. The rest of the country has a hard enough time convincing property owners to put a system in, I can't imagine what they would say if you asked them to put two in.

"use exterior streams." please teach us how to get an exterior stream to the 15th floor.

Back to the 800 GPM handline, tell me where I can read about it. Or tell me yourself. If you can SAFELY put a 800 GPM handline in operation in a firebuilding we would like to know how. That would be the biggest inovation since the fire engine. Don't keep it a secret!!

"They've rarely been the leaders at anything" How about the enclosed crew cab FDNY had five Mack R model 4 door cabs delivered in 1969 and soon after all engines and sticks were purchased with 4 door cabs.

The Rescue Co's of FDNY had thermal imaging cameras years before most people ever heard of a TIC.

Say what you want but the FDNY does the job every single day.

Comment

Every body does the job every single day.

Great, well all of that explains all the other questions asked just fine.

Comment

800 GPM handline, have 3 guys sit on it..well actually Paulie seemed to imply that the 600GPM handline was about as big as you should go when he spoke to us in 1999 at First Due in Las Vegas. His video that you can buy will show you this. You can get it from him [email protected] or from FSP at www.fire-police-ems.com

------------------
            The information presented herin is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

Comment

Let me start off by saying that the Big Paulie high flow handline nozzle is a name that was given to a new handline concept. It can be put together with parts that are sold by several companies. The BP is capable of 800 gpm flows from a 200' 3" handline however I recomend no more then 600 gpm. The nozzle consists of 4 parts. A nozzle valve with at least a 1-1/2" waterway(bigger is better. 1-3/4" or 2" works best. You can even use a 2-/2" inline gate valve most commonly used on a hydrant.)A stream shaper (10" works best. A nozzle capable of the required flows. Smooth bore or combination. I like the 1-1/2" smooth bore best. At 80 psi NP I can get 600gpm. At 60 NP I can get 518 gpm. How about the Vindicator master stream nozzle? I think it can be adapted to this concept. Finally ther is a stream directing handle that is placed between the shaper and the tip to help in manuvering the stream. This is a two person line and is placed into service by sitting on it. No loop is required. It kicks butt.

Comment

I have literature that will explain the concept of the high flow handline . Just send me an E-mail

Comment

"It kicks butt."

It kicks a lot of butt!

Comment

Forgot to put the pic in, see the next post.

[This message has been edited by S. Cook (edited November 04, 2000).]

Comment

Paulie, hope you don't mind.

Big Paulie nozzle, 1-1/8" stack tip @ 80psi.

Comment

Anyone who has moved a 2 1/2 inch line at 250 GPM down a hallway knows how difficult it is. It won't bend very easily and the nozzle reaction is fearsome. FDNY uses 2 1/2 line in projects(fire proof multiple dwellings), high rise buildings, store fires and where the size of the fire cannot be defined. 1 3/4 line at 180 gpm is what is used for almost all other structure fires. Maneuverability for quick water on the fire is the key here.
                        That being said, here is my question;

Would it be possible for a Vindicator flowing over 400 GPM to be utilized effectively by 2 firefighters in an apartment/house fire?

Thanks!
                        Phil D.

Comment

Phil D.

There are several models of the Vindicator knob. We use the Heavy Attack Vindicator that flows 250 g.p.m. at 50 p.s.i. at the tip. It will flow more as the NP is increased. The others are the Light Attack, Blitz Attack, and the deck gun size (I forgot what they call it). I have only used our Heavy Attack model. Lower NP still makes a good stream. At 40 NP we flow 220 g.p.m., with plenty of reach. My choice of knob, for 20 years or more, had been the 15/16" solid bore at 50 NP and 185 g.p.m. I still carry the stack of 15/16" & 1/2" tips in my pocket. The Vindicator tip is screwed onto the shutoff that the solid bore tips were on before. It has an 1-3/8" waterway. I put on the stack and use the 1/2" bore for overhaul, when water damage is a consideration. Just give it a try if you have the chance. This is an old dog that was taught a new trick.

Comment

fdbxny: Due to restrictions placed on Manufacturers I will e-mail you the answer to your question.

------------------
                            Kirk Allen
                            First Strike Technologies, Inc

Comment

As a person who has seen the nozzle used. It is very impressive the gallonage you can get. And we all know more water with less work and wear and tear on the FF the better chance to knock it down quicker and more efficient.

Comment

What kind of stream does one get with a Vindicator? It seems implied from all of the above that it is a straight stream only (still aspirated, but no fog)?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X