Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can relate on how a canceled rig can make morale go down. Again as previously stated, allow first in to respond lights and siren, second due no lights and siren until the scene is secured, as for crowded parking areas at businesses have the apparatus stage on the shoulder of the road or near by larger parking lot. Also remember that the public sees your actions having a fire truck in your front lot doesn't mean that you are just there hanging out your are there for a reason and until you found out the need or malfunction its better to have that piece there just in case.

stay safe

Comment

I have been a volunteer for 27 years and worked EMS, for 12 years. I am glad to be canceled. When we are cancled it means that maybe there are no lives lost, no homes destroyed, my fellow firefighters will be safe again, not exposed to danger, diseases and othe kinds of dangers. Able to go home to their families. I know that many people will not agree with me. But, if all we ever did was drill, I would be happy. Perhaps, we should install the thought into all firefighters that it is better to drill than have to do the real thing. I wish that it could be this way, but I know that it will not be. Tell the new members that they must be prepared for when it happens, cause it is a matter of when it happens not if it happens.
      Larry

Comment

chiefgebel-
        I've been on both sides of the table- responding out of my house as a volly and responding out of a station as a career ff. I can imagine the conflict at your dept. I HATED being turned around going to calls- even if it was nothing, I still wanted to show up and feel like I got out of bed for more than a car ride to the station. I suggest cancelling the rigs and giving them the option to continue in code 2 (no lights or sirens) on some calls. If they want they can show up and assist (or even stand around and chew the fat-still fun) or they can head home and go to bed. Just my opinion.
        stay safe out there.
        try it you'll like it

Comment

I can't believe that I am reading this crap in this day and age.

"Let the trucks roll lights and sirens so that the guys can get their jollies"

You have got to be kidding.

What possible reason is there to continue to roll the truck in lights and sirens when someone is on location confirming no fire. (Whether that someone is a cop or firefighter is another subject).

Giving the firefighters some cheap thrill is no reason to put the public at risk. I don't know if many of you drive or ride front seat, but I can tell you in my area, most people forget how to drive when red lights and sirens are anywhere nearby. I have seen people rush to make that left turn before the unit gets close, or race by in the curb lane to make their turn. I had one idiot ride up a median and hit the traffic signal because my truck turned into the lane across from him. Guess the lights and siren were too much. (Of course, that raises another issue - do you stop to check him or proceed to the structure fire).

Want to have some cheap thrills, ride lights and siren after being recalled or told to slow down, then get in an accident. The lawyer on the other side will have a ball with you. "You mean to tell me that six cops were already on location for the alarm at the donut shop and told you it was an accidental trip, yet you rode 23 miles across town with red lights and siren going?"

Cha-ching goes the jury.

What have we done to address this problem? We have eliminated automatic aid on alarm calls and our "sister" companies have also. That cut our responses by 1/5. We initiated a "non-emergency" response (no lights, no siren, stop at all red lights/stop signs) which has been intiated county wide now. The officer in charge will make a determination from the facts available (PD on location, FF on location, usual alarm call) to lower the response. Sometimes it is necessary to have FD roll in to reset system or access Knox Box. Sometimes second or third due unit on brush fire or car fire is slowed down, kept coming in case water or manpower is needed, but slowed down. We have duty crews at night Sunday - Thursday. They handle the "crap" calls, alarms, odors, dumpsters, cars, etc. That cuts down 4 nights per guy of responding.

There are a lot of ways to make it more interesting and less taxing other than running red lights and siren.
          The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X