This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    i still find it unsettling to see how many of us will rationalize the risk we take. face it, the 30 seconds you save by "packing up" on the way becomes no issue if you are fatally injured. think about it, 30 seconds vs. the rest of your life.
    over the last couple of years, we have seen pictures of fire appartus involved in MVA's that very possibly would not have been LODD incidents had seat belts been used. i think of the picture of the engine in texas where the driver side hit a overpass abutment, and the driver lived. the officer was killed. the only damage you can see on the officer's side is the windshield missing. that picture breaks my heart.
    the absolute short term goal that i have at the start of every shift is that everyone goes home at the end of the shift. a seatbelt is a valuable step toward the accomplishment of that goal.
    be safe......

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    In Nova Scotia it is the law. Regardless of the vehicle you are supposed to be belted. If not and you get stopped it is a $117 fine. But who is going to stop a firetruck?

Due diligence is a big part any safety program. We have the need to protect ourselves every time we go out the door.

Last week, Thursday February 15th, our rescue was responding to a medical emergency. The two MFR's in the cab of the vehicle were not wearing there belts. At 40 km/h, 25 mph, they hit a frost heave ( A depression in the road caused by the freezing and warming cycle of this time of the year.) that was the full width of the road and 3 feet wide and 1 foot deep. They did not see this in the road ahead of them and it was not a commonly travelled road. Both members hit the roof of the truck with enough force to leavemarks in the metal roof liner. The truck came to a complete stop. Both members exited the vehicle to check for damage and then continued on their way after shaking off the impact and warning others responding in POV's about the road damage.

Wear your belts. Everytime. Everywhere.

We are all guilty of not wearing the belts at some time in our past. Unless you are still driving an open cab 1920 pumper you have belts in the truck. As has been said " Do it for your Family."

Philip Publicover, Fire Chief
    District #1 Fire Dept.
    Blandford, N.S., Canada
    E-mail [email protected]

Train Hard and Train Safe

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Tc, it seems to me that there is an easy soloution: Make use of the seatbelts, the nthe buzzers wil magically go away. Now, I know that fire and EMS eprsonnel want to get to the scene as quick as possible, but I have heard of some dept.'s starting to gear fully before ever getting into the truck, or not moving the vehicle until everyone is strapped in and has been strapped into their gear. Mayhaps this would solve the problem? Just my thoughts...

------------------
    "I hate it when someone says something is impossible, because then I have to go and find a way to do it."
    Stay safe, boys and girls. It's for keeps out there.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Interesting timing.....we've just gone through a minor controversy in my Company. Our first-out pumper is a 1999 ALF/General that has belts on all seats as well as sensors on all seats. If you're sitting on the seat and have not put your belt on, a buzzer sounds. It's loud enough to be very annoying enroute to a scene competing with the radio, talking amongst onboard crew, etc. Some members, after a recent structure fire, requested the sensors be disconnected to eliminate the buzzer noise. As you pack-up enroute to a scene you obviously can't put the belt on, consequently the buzzer sounds adding to an already charged atmosphere in the cab. As Chief I said no way, they're a safety feature of the apparatus, they're installed to hopefully save your life if the rig ever has an accident, and lastly, if we had an accident there is no way I could defend the disconnecting of a safety system on the vehicle. I have some grumbling folks who can only see the benefit of reduced noise, but after asking them to put themselves in my place (try and tell the judge that we didn't like the noise so we disconnected them or buckled them behind the seat) they found that there is no defense.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    i always wear my seatbelt in my POV, never in a firetruck..we usually only have a 3-5 minute response time with other companie son our tail, so we have to get dressed in route.
    the way some of our engine drivers are, we really SHOULD wear them though...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Like 14Rescue1 and others said, I am alive, ambulatory, and unharmed thanks to that little 4 inch wide piece of material. I have been involved in 2 headons ( One utility pole, one '95 Camry), one rear ender (we got nailed hard, 35 or more at time of impact)one roll over, and multiple spins and 360's. Let me tell you folks, that seatbelt is on everyone in my car, or we never leave the parking space. Ever.

------------------
    "I hate it when someone says something is impossible, because then I have to go and find a way to do it."
    Stay safe, boys and girls. It's for keeps out there.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Lt. Dave E93:
    I have a only a few words for you reguarding seatbelts. First is FAMILY!!! Is your life worth losing for a stupid accident that happened when you were going to the grocery store? I don't know the answer...ask your FAMILY!!!
    Second, if you aren't wearing your seatbelt and you get killed/injured, most likely your department will NOT pay for your actions (if it is policy to wear them). In other words,you could be very much SCREWED money wise if you chose not to obey the simple seatbelt policies. (again, ask your FAMILY what they think!)

Buckle UP!!!

First point, couldn't agree more.
    Second point, not necessarily true. I was involved in an MVA while responding to an alarm and broke my neck in 3 places and my back in 1. IMO, my injuries would have definitely been less severe if I had my seatbelt on, but the insurance company covered all bills.
    I'm not condoning it (not wearing the belt). It was my on lack of preparedness that got me into the predicament and put me out of service for 4 months.
    Now I wear my seatbelt religiously, except the brush truck, which doesn't have them. Have to have a chat with the mechanic about that.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have a only a few words for you reguarding seatbelts. First is FAMILY!!! Is your life worth losing for a stupid accident that happened when you were going to the grocery store? I don't know the answer...ask your FAMILY!!!
    Second, if you aren't wearing your seatbelt and you get killed/injured, most likely your department will NOT pay for your actions (if it is policy to wear them). In other words,you could be very much SCREWED money wise if you chose not to obey the simple seatbelt policies. (again, ask your FAMILY what they think!)
    As a station supervisor, I have required my guys to wear them. There are a few moments when we might have to take them off to 'bunk up' but they are to put 'em back on. I also told them that I care about their safety and well-being and I don't want to have to tell their wives..."well, if he had only been wearing his seatbelt... I wish I would have made him wear it!!." NOT ME MAN!!
    Buckle UP!!!

------------------
    Lt. Dave E93
    Fishers Fire Dept.
    Fishers, IN

"...to know that one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded. " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Should but for some reason noone in our department doesn't seem to be in the habit.

It's bad. really bad

------------------
    Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    State of Michigan requires by law that all occupants of a motor vehicle be seat belted while the vehicle is in motion. Our dept. has a standing SOG that you must wear your seatbelt on all responses, emergent or otherwise.

------------------
    "Stay Safe, Stay Low and lets Rock-n-Roll"

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I guess I am as guilty as the next when it comes to buckling up in the truck. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It is a habit that we all need to form.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    nope... i know i should though

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    To busy packing up on runs. plus the drive is always so short it's barely enought time to get completly packed up. always on parade's drills, or anything like that

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I was in a truck roll over accident last month, the only reason I'm not seriously hurt is because I did put on my seat belt. PUT IT ON BEFORE YOU START THE TRUCK!!!

Read: http://mu.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/...mtruckr520.frm

------------------
    -FF D. Betka
    NSFD
    Norton Shores, MI

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Have to admit, wear it in my POV, wear it on drills, training, etc. but most of the time the adrenaline rush, getting directions, etc. cause my Peabrain to forget. Can't see my officer's lap to know if he is wearing his, but most of the time he is not. Jumpseats are separate from the driver's compartment so when they tell me let's go...I go. I am glad this topic was brought up....I will definately work on it not only for myself but the entire dept.

Faith in God...Trust in training!!

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X