Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOST DEFINITELY...WHENEVER I AM RIDDING ON THE ENGINE IT WILL NOT LEAVE THE BAY UNTIL ALL MEMBERS ARE BELTED IN. WE TRAIN AND STRIVE TO KEEP THIS IN MIND WHEN WE ARE DOING TRAINING, SO WHEN THE TONE GOES OFF IT WILL STICK IN ALL MEMBERS HEAD TO BUCKLE UP. IT IS LIKE PUTTING YOUR GEAR ON, IT SHOULD COME TO YOU LIKE SECOND NATURE...

Comment

I'm a single daddy and my 8 yr old daughter doesn't care what burns, she just want her daddy to come back home after each call.
      Besides I ALWAYS tell her "I love you and I'll be back" I would hate to become a liar.

Be safe BUCKLE UP!!!

Comment

I wear my belt 95% of the time, but occasionaly I forget as for my crew if they buzz I assume they are belted in. Unfortunetly w/ our new trucks we been having a problem with the FF standing in the back.

Comment

Have to admit, wear it in my POV, wear it on drills, training, etc. but most of the time the adrenaline rush, getting directions, etc. cause my Peabrain to forget. Can't see my officer's lap to know if he is wearing his, but most of the time he is not. Jumpseats are separate from the driver's compartment so when they tell me let's go...I go. I am glad this topic was brought up....I will definately work on it not only for myself but the entire dept.

Faith in God...Trust in training!!

Comment

I was in a truck roll over accident last month, the only reason I'm not seriously hurt is because I did put on my seat belt. PUT IT ON BEFORE YOU START THE TRUCK!!!

Read: http://mu.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/...mtruckr520.frm

------------------
            -FF D. Betka
            NSFD
            Norton Shores, MI

Comment

To busy packing up on runs. plus the drive is always so short it's barely enought time to get completly packed up. always on parade's drills, or anything like that

Comment

nope... i know i should though

Comment

I guess I am as guilty as the next when it comes to buckling up in the truck. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It is a habit that we all need to form.

Comment

State of Michigan requires by law that all occupants of a motor vehicle be seat belted while the vehicle is in motion. Our dept. has a standing SOG that you must wear your seatbelt on all responses, emergent or otherwise.

------------------
                    "Stay Safe, Stay Low and lets Rock-n-Roll"

Comment

Should but for some reason noone in our department doesn't seem to be in the habit.

It's bad. really bad

------------------
                      Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

Comment

I have a only a few words for you reguarding seatbelts. First is FAMILY!!! Is your life worth losing for a stupid accident that happened when you were going to the grocery store? I don't know the answer...ask your FAMILY!!!
                        Second, if you aren't wearing your seatbelt and you get killed/injured, most likely your department will NOT pay for your actions (if it is policy to wear them). In other words,you could be very much SCREWED money wise if you chose not to obey the simple seatbelt policies. (again, ask your FAMILY what they think!)
                        As a station supervisor, I have required my guys to wear them. There are a few moments when we might have to take them off to 'bunk up' but they are to put 'em back on. I also told them that I care about their safety and well-being and I don't want to have to tell their wives..."well, if he had only been wearing his seatbelt... I wish I would have made him wear it!!." NOT ME MAN!!
                        Buckle UP!!!

------------------
                        Lt. Dave E93
                        Fishers Fire Dept.
                        Fishers, IN

"...to know that one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded. " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Dave E93:
                          I have a only a few words for you reguarding seatbelts. First is FAMILY!!! Is your life worth losing for a stupid accident that happened when you were going to the grocery store? I don't know the answer...ask your FAMILY!!!
                          Second, if you aren't wearing your seatbelt and you get killed/injured, most likely your department will NOT pay for your actions (if it is policy to wear them). In other words,you could be very much SCREWED money wise if you chose not to obey the simple seatbelt policies. (again, ask your FAMILY what they think!)

Buckle UP!!!

First point, couldn't agree more.
                          Second point, not necessarily true. I was involved in an MVA while responding to an alarm and broke my neck in 3 places and my back in 1. IMO, my injuries would have definitely been less severe if I had my seatbelt on, but the insurance company covered all bills.
                          I'm not condoning it (not wearing the belt). It was my on lack of preparedness that got me into the predicament and put me out of service for 4 months.
                          Now I wear my seatbelt religiously, except the brush truck, which doesn't have them. Have to have a chat with the mechanic about that.

Comment

Like 14Rescue1 and others said, I am alive, ambulatory, and unharmed thanks to that little 4 inch wide piece of material. I have been involved in 2 headons ( One utility pole, one '95 Camry), one rear ender (we got nailed hard, 35 or more at time of impact)one roll over, and multiple spins and 360's. Let me tell you folks, that seatbelt is on everyone in my car, or we never leave the parking space. Ever.

------------------
                            "I hate it when someone says something is impossible, because then I have to go and find a way to do it."
                            Stay safe, boys and girls. It's for keeps out there.

Comment

i always wear my seatbelt in my POV, never in a firetruck..we usually only have a 3-5 minute response time with other companie son our tail, so we have to get dressed in route.
                              the way some of our engine drivers are, we really SHOULD wear them though...

Comment

Interesting timing.....we've just gone through a minor controversy in my Company. Our first-out pumper is a 1999 ALF/General that has belts on all seats as well as sensors on all seats. If you're sitting on the seat and have not put your belt on, a buzzer sounds. It's loud enough to be very annoying enroute to a scene competing with the radio, talking amongst onboard crew, etc. Some members, after a recent structure fire, requested the sensors be disconnected to eliminate the buzzer noise. As you pack-up enroute to a scene you obviously can't put the belt on, consequently the buzzer sounds adding to an already charged atmosphere in the cab. As Chief I said no way, they're a safety feature of the apparatus, they're installed to hopefully save your life if the rig ever has an accident, and lastly, if we had an accident there is no way I could defend the disconnecting of a safety system on the vehicle. I have some grumbling folks who can only see the benefit of reduced noise, but after asking them to put themselves in my place (try and tell the judge that we didn't like the noise so we disconnected them or buckled them behind the seat) they found that there is no defense.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X