Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every day, every time. The only time I don't have it on is when I'm forced to move in the back of the squad while treating and transporting a patient. But, as soon as I find a seat, the belt goes on.

Comment

AS regular posters on this forum know, I am recuperating from an accident in my POV responding to an alarm. I wear my seatbelt 99% of the time in my POV, but alas, this time I wasn't. I broke C-2, C-5, C-7 and T-3 vertebrae. I am lucky to be sitting here, let alone having full functionality in my extremeties. I am a chauffer on all apparatus and a driving instructor for the Department (I should know better, huh )
      I never used to wear my seatbelt in the truck, even as a Captain riding OIC. When I get back, and I say when not if, that will be a situation that changes. Front or back of the truck, it doesn't matter. It only takes a fraction of a second to change your life forever, whether it's riding the truck, or inside the building.
      Think about it brothers and sisters.
      Be Safe

Ian Wood

Comment

SOGs for our district have the apparatus operator responsible for not moving the vehicle until all are seated and belted. This is rigidly enforced, to the point that on a run last night we sat for about 30 sec. while the operator got his recalcitrant belt to fasten.

The operator was our Chief, so it was satisfying to know that the rules apply to all. (I think I heard him on the radio this morning talking to our mechanic about fixing a certain seat belt.)

Comment

Neither my car or any apparatus I'm driving turn a wheel until I'm belted in. My former dept, where we had fully staffed engines and paramedic units, if I was in the jumpseats (fully enclosed) I would delay belting in until the SCBA pack was on - more than once I had somehow attached myself to the seatbelts and gotten stuck. In the back of the ambulance, most of the time it was impractical to be belted, no matter how bad you wanted to be. I guess working the patient in back includes some calculated risks . . .

Comment

ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!

Last week two teenagers were killed when the vehicle they were in rolled. Both were ejected, the driver who was wearing her seatbelt walked away with minor injuries. One was the son of one of the paramedics who responded.

Drive Safe
            Arrive Safe

Comment

I always try to wear my seatbelt on the engine becuase it is an open cab but i don't always wear it in the squad or brush truck.

------------------
              Matt Briskey
              Eastern Garrett County
              Station 80

"What's in it for me?

Hard Work
              Injury
              Possible Death
              A deep and abiding feeling of personal satisfaction found in few aspects of life"

"Nobody ever called the fire department when they did something smart!!"

Comment

Everyone in our company wears them. To and from alarms, or when we are just in service. We also secure our air packs.

AAD
                Eng. Co. 9
                RFD

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fm2b:
                  I saw a poll on the main page that asked if you wear your seatbelt when responding to a run on the truck or engine. I wasn't able to review the results, but I am curious- do you wear your seatbelt? Reasons for wearing one are obvious, but I don't wear mine. Do you?

[This message has been edited by fm2b (edited October 20, 2000).]
                  [/QUOT
                  I HAVE TO SAY THAT I HAVE NEVER ONCE WORN MY SEATBELT EITHER ON DRILLS, CALLS, OR EVEN COVERING FOR FIREWORKS DISPLAYS. TO TELL THE TRUTH I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT OUR APPARATUS HAD SEATBELTS UNTILL ABOUT 3 MONTHS AFTER I JOINED. ALSO OUR RESCUE SQUAD ONLY HAS BELTS FOR THE DRIVER AND OFFICER, WHICH IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE MANY REASONS WE'RE GETTING A NEW ONE. BUT I DOUBT I'LL WEAR A BELT IN THAT TRUCK EITHER.

Comment

Dear ffirefighter, do not play with fate, it will get you at some point. The seal belts are in OUR apparatus for a good reason and they are not to just look at. Wear them, I do not want to see the LOFF notice telling us you have died because you were not doing the right thing. Maybe you could ask your wife her opinion of whether you should or not.

Don Zimmerman

Comment

Always, every time. POV or fire rig. Why? No. 1--common sense. 2-- Town policy is for everyone in the rig to wear a seatbelt.

------------------
                      Stay Safe.
                      You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Comment

In my dept. it is in the S.O.P's that ALL PERSONS will be belted in at ALL times. If we respond to a M.V.A. with ejection why should we do the same stupid thing and go out without ours on. Remember one thing our life saftey comes before anything or anyone. I would rather take a few extra seconds to get belted in than taking off without the belt on. Remember this is just my opinion. Happy Holidays to all. Please Stay safe

Comment

If in my personal Vehicle I do wear it some of the time. My 7 year old will remind me of it. On the way to the station for a call-no....in the apparatus-no. I know that we should, but do not. It is the adrenalin rush.....affects memory.

Comment

Always. Everytime. Every vehicle.

Comment

I would say the 90 percent of the time I do wear my seatbelt, and the rest of the time its because I overlooked putting it on, not because I didn't want to. My bigger concern is that now that I am all strapped in, all the stuff in the cab has a nice staedy target to hit if we get in an accident. When are we going to stop putting projectiles in our cabs?

As for it being the engineers responsibilty not to operate the truck until all are belted, true. However, when the guys in the seat say all set, I assume they are. I am not going to get out and check them, and it is their responsibilty if they are not belted in. It is a policy in my department as well.

Dave

------------------
                              In Memory of those who have passed before us, may their loss not be in vain........

[email protected]

Comment

For all of those who don't wear your belt, START.
                                I was involved in an accident involving a piece of apparatus less than a week ago. The seatbelt saved my life as well as taking the hit squarely on the frame in this headon crash.
                                Before you roll out the door think of family and ptu the belt on.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X