This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iliturats in thu fir survece

Just wondering if anyone else is appalled by some of the borderline illiterate posts seen on the forums. If it didn't strike me as so sad, it would be funny sometimes. I wonder what the public reading these posts thinks, after they have been told or heard about all the technical schooling and training required in the fire service. I'll be the first to admit that I am no rocket scientist, and thankfully I've never had to worry about spelling or grammar in a burning building, but what kind of impression are we giving the public, both on these forums as well as when dealing with them face to face?

"Appalled" doesn't even come close, considering how much it bugs me when people just can't use "your/you're" and "its/it's" correctly. Reading this forum is liking watching the language die before my eyes - some of the folks that post on here appear to be retarded. There's no excuse for it, either.

Comment

It take's BALLS to do this JOB...You don't have to be an ENGLISH MAJOR to post from your heart.
      ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
      NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
      CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
      LT. John Ginley Engine 40
      FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
      FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
      FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
      FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
      FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
      FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
      FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
      FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
      FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
      "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
      *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

Amen, brother.
        "Greater love hath no man than this; that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Comment

The ability to write well is important but you would not know it from looking at these forums. We are not talking about having an english major. This is just simple spelling, grammar, and sentences that we were all supposed to LEARN in grade school.

BKE
          You just can't fix stupid!!
          BKE
          Proud to be an American.

"No animals were used in the posting of this thread. Two sticks of bubble gum and a hulahoop yes, animals no..."

Comment

That's true, but you have to realize that there are other factors. When I was in college, there was a guy that belonged to the local volunteer department who had dyslexia. He could convey his thoughts fine most of the time unless he had to write them down, in which case he looked foolish.

You can not censor someone just because they have a learning disability, especially in these forums. Like was said earlier....it's from the heart, that's all that matters. They are the people I want working for me.
            "Greater love hath no man than this; that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Comment

Yep...BALLS are required....as well as a lot of heart. Nobody is going to disagree with that. I know some damn good firefighters who wouldn't know the correct spelling of a four letter word if you gave them the first three. Thankfully, those guys realize it, and aren't writing any books or posting on the net. I'm no intellectual giant, but I feel like one sometimes after reading some of the threads here on firehouse.com. Like the old commercial used to say, "A mind is a terrible thing to waste". In the case of these forums, sometimes, a mind is just a terrible thing.

Comment

DEAR
                PyroSlayer, Quint1Medic, bke

A person that criticizes and berates the shortcomings of others makes me want to puke. Vocabulary, sentence structure and vernacular have little to do with this job, contrary to your opinion. Pointing out the imperfections of others is merely a way to make you feel better. Please refrain from boosting your deflated and misguided ego in the firehouse forums. You do not impress me or anyone else.
                Go raibh maith agat Go gcuire Dia an t-ádh ort! Dyfal donc a dyrr y garreg!!!!!

IN MEMORY OF THE "MOOSE" 1974-2002<br />Ni bheidh mo leitheid ar'ris ann.

Brothers till the end. "If they don't have GUINNESS in heaven we aint goin!"

Comment

UNIONPROUD,

A-There-Men !!!!!!!
                  These views/ opinions are my own and not those of my employer/ department.

Comment

Union I'm with you here. And 15 truck you make excellent points. My 11 year old has a fantastic brain, but that doesn't often come through in verbal or written form. I feel really sorry for kids with disabilities that don't have good family or school support systems.

Everyone have a good holiday..........

Comment

To all,

I'm with E40FDNYL35, 15 TRUCK and unionproud.

A lot of what has been posted here (especially over the last two months) has come from the heart. The authors have all shared their feelings, fears, respects and sense of family with the rest of us. For some of us that takes guts and/or balls.

Many of the posts have come at the end of a tour or as the inspiration flows. Have the words always been spelled correctly, has the syntax always been precise or has the grammer always been right? No, but who really cares. We have all been able to read, understand and feel what the authors have been saying. That's good enough for me.

To all the people who post on these pages...."Keep those cards and letters coming"

Happy AND Safe Thanksgiving to all!

Jim Boyle (aka 1261Truckie)

Comment

Ditto Grit! The way I look at it is, don't read how someone says it, read WHAT they are saying.

As my grandpappy used to say, "It's fun to be dumb, but it sometimes sure is unhandy!" Nobody's perfect.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving folks.
                        - Remember our brothers in FDNY -

Comment

Grit,

FINALLY YOU AND I AGREE ON SOMETHING. I KNEW IT WOULD HAPPEN SOMEDAY.
                          Go raibh maith agat Go gcuire Dia an t-ádh ort! Dyfal donc a dyrr y garreg!!!!!

IN MEMORY OF THE "MOOSE" 1974-2002<br />Ni bheidh mo leitheid ar'ris ann.

Brothers till the end. "If they don't have GUINNESS in heaven we aint goin!"

Comment

What a mean topic to post on the forums! Who cares if some firefighters can't write well or spell well or any of that. No one is perfect.
                            Probie Name: HurryUpMichelle!!

Comment

Some people, like myself, are poor typist and mistrike keys and such causing spelling errors and we just don't go back and correct them. Proof reading your own work is sometimes an extremely hard thing to do as it sounds good to you when you type it so why shouldn't it when you proof it? I will stop teetering the fence to say that I would like to see more compulsory use of spell checkers. And hell, 10 years ago I couldn't spell fyr fitor/emerjuncee medakul teknishun and now i are one.
                              Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X