X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shevais
    replied
    standard issue (at this time) is the metro style. After seeing what some of them did in high heat situations i started looking at the leather style. our chief (at the time) said he wasn't allowing any "yankee" helmet to be worn on his FD. well after 3 of us went and bought Paul Conway Leathers he finally gave up and let us wear them as long as it was only on our volunteer time. (funny thing was he was wearing a 1010). well i will NEVER EVER EVER go back to a metro style for structural firefighting, i did 2 burns on 2 back to back days, one with metro and one with my conway... i had steam burns from water running off the back of the metro and down my neck. the next burn i was wearing my conway, water ran straight towards my SCBA and away from my neck. that day i vowed to wear my leather 24/7. Now that we have a new chief it will be my goal to if not make leather std issue at least to make that style SI. Basically right now i have my black conway with 4" shield. but with a pending promotion i'm gonna be looking at the Sam Houstons with Borques or another conway with borques. I still do keep my metro on hand for extrication/rescue calls as we run quite a bit of those and that helmet is alot better suited for those kind of calls. I plan on persuing the brimless rescue/extrication helmets to be placed on our rescue truck, with goggles pre-installed.

but as for structural firefighting.. leather will forever be on my head

Leave a comment:

• NMFD33
    replied
    if it looks like leather that dosnt make it leather. those PLASTIC helmets dont hold up the same. when i was a junior my PLASTIC helmet's liner kept coming out, i just didnt trust that thing. i know that my leather can be run over by my truck and still work. my helmet is a cairn's leather, just got refurbished last year and looks pretty. if have leather boots too but i cant. (im on the hazmat teams, need the rubbers.) all but one person on my company has a leather. and that one person who has a PLASTIC helmet has a shirt that says "LEATHER FOREVER".

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: NMFD33 ]

Leave a comment:

• FHandz17
    replied
    The "Bronx Bend", I assume that is the bend in the rear brim of the helmet that prevents it from smacking your tank while crawling?

How do you get this bend without cracking the leather or any other damage.

Seriosly, I want to know, just curious.

Leave a comment:

• shammrock54
    replied
    LEATHER FOREVER!!

I happen to be a fan of the cairns N5A

Leave a comment:

• PFD147
    replied
    I have a Conway leather, it is NFPA and is a very good helmet. I could have bought the Cairns but I did not like how the paint came off and I did not like how it felt on my head. That being said I do not like the rubber edging or the fact that the Conway can't be shaped,it is an excellent helmet though. My personal feeling is that Leather is best, it won't melt and it is more substantial. I had an incident a few weeks ago and I feel that if I didn't have a leather on I would have been hurt. Do yourself a favor and try both of the helmets Cairns and Conway see how they fit and which you are most comfortable with and go from there.

Leave a comment:

• eng10drvr
    replied
    LEATHER FOREVER !!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• brother hoot
    replied
    you can't buy anything better than a leather,people say there to heavy but what's for protection,keep the tradition alive check out the fools international website,remember stay low and let it blow-FTM-PTB-EGH better a sister in a whorehouse than a brother in a metro

Leave a comment:

• engine117
    replied
    I love my Cairns New Yorker. The extra money is well worth it

Leave a comment:

• afd7951
    replied
    Leather Leather Leather, I own a Paul Conway Leather, It fits better than my trusty ball cap and has a hell-of-a-look to it.

Leave a comment:

• Medic162
    replied
    Hey Guys hold on... Remember when you were a child and the bright red fire truck ran by... what were the guys wearing? LEATHER! (If you grew up in or near a "large" city.) Now think back again... When you asked Santa for a firefighter helmet for Christmas, what did you get? PLASTIC! There is a reason children still get these from Santa - even today. They make great toys for the little ones. Own a New Yorker, Paid for the New Yorker, Love the New Yorker...

Leave a comment:

• BUGGY5632
    replied
    My new department issues the 1010, I HATE the damn thing. I have been lobbying the Board of Fire Commissioners that leather is the way to go. I have 2 of them. 1 is still at my old firehouse downstate in case they need a hand and I have another one that is ready to be put into service when the Commissioners will allow them. I will never wear one of those salad bowls again, I handed mine back in and got my 5 cent deposit back. (If this is a joke grenade for some, soda cans and plastic bottles are redeemed for 5 cents in NY). Both of my converted n6a's have Bourke shields, ratchets ripped out of them, and have a nice "Bronx Bend" in the back. The Cairns helmet is by far the best in my book, the other knock-offs don't even look the same.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I grew up in a firehouse and around firemen.And the now infamous quote "Leather Forever" was instilled in me. The guys who bought the leathers always said that. Since then I have joined a different fire company and we are issued leather helmets. OUr Fire Explorers are issued the Cairns 1010. I was an explorer at one time and i do like the 1010. Dont get me wrong its not a bad helmet, but I like my leather.

This Post is of my own opinion

F/F Dan Devitt
    Westmont Fire Co #1
    Station 15-1

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I've worn a leather for almost 20 years and only have one thing to say..... LEATHER FOREVER!!!!! Plastic is for storing food NOT fighting fire

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I've had leather for over 20 years!!!!!!
    LEATHER FOREVER..... Plastic is for storing food not fighting fire!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I wear a leather rather than a plastic helmet for one reason- durability. Real men wear leather? Great saying... for a T-shirt. I've known some complete idiots that wear leather, so that staement is obviously not a completely true one. I guess it all comes down to finances... are you willing to spend a little to wear a more durable product? I am, and will not change, as long as the choice is still mine... I will stay "LEATHER FOREVER!"

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X