Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll stick with the thick-headed Yankee contingent - cowhide for this guy. I have worn a leather for most of my 20 years in the fire service. When I didn't have a Carins N5A, I was wearing a knock-off plastic lookalike.

The department issues metro style helmets. You must purchase your own leather.

Besides the leather keeps you head warmer in the cold weather and cooler in the warm weather. Or it just seems that way....

We have nickname for the metros - wheelchocks (All in good fun - SSD)

FF/Diver from TX - You mean with all the cattle in Texas, everyone doesn't wear leather?!

Kidding aside, it doesn't matter what you wear on your head as long as you do your job well and with pride.

I plan on retiring with my now slightly off-white N5A that I purchased when I was promoted several years back.

Be and Stay Safe.

Comment

In short...LEATHER! No substitution!

It won't:
      -Melt
      -Break
      -Crack
      -expire like plastic
      -get soft in high heat enviroments

It will:
      -maintain its strength
      -maintain its durability
      -keep your head safe
      -outlast your career

Overall I feel it is personal preference:
      If you feel that you want a plastic helmet..more power to you.
      If I had a choice I would still be wearing leather.

Just two cents from a fireman.

Comment

Leather Forever.

The County issues 660C Metros but a lot of the brothers go out and buy leathers. I've seen a good number of Metros that have bubbled or melted in fires that did nothing more than cause the paint to blister on a leather.

Comment

Feel lucky you have the option. We are forced to bear the embarrassment of wearing the metro. I would be wearing leather tomorrow if I could

------------------
          Views stated do not reflect that of my department or local.

Comment

Consider yourself lucky you have the option. We are forced to endure the embarrassment of wearing metros. I would have leather on tommorow if i could.

------------------
            Views stated do not reflect that of my department or local.

Comment

Let's see... Hmmm.... yeah, the last time I checked, plastic still melts. It's fine if you like wearing pudding when things go sour, so I'll just say...

LEATHER FOREVER!!!

And ANYTHING but a Cairns N5A is just a toy... give 'em to your kids for playtime.

Comment

Let's see... Hmmm.... yeah, the last time I checked, plastic still melts. It's fine if you like wearing pudding when things go sour, so I'll just say...

LEATHER FOREVER!!!

And ANYTHING but a Cairns N5A is just a toy... give 'em to your kids for playtime.

Comment

LEATHER FOREVER!!!

Comment

LEATHER FOREVER!!!

Comment

Last time I checked, plastic still melts under heat. Here's another faithful "LEATHER FOREVER" wearer. As long as the choice is up to me, I will refuse to wear something that may become as useful as a lump of Play-Dough on my head when things go downhill...

Comment

Last time I checked, plastic melts... so that just leaves one option: LEATHER FOREVER!

Comment

Last time I checked, plastic still melts when it gets hot... LEATHER FOREVER! Those "salad bowls" are great- for kindrergarten play-time.

Comment

I bought a N5a New Yorker 6 years ago for $325. Liked it so much I got another for when I got hired as a paid guy. Have both and use both. They are the best. The weight takes a little getting used to, but it's worth it.

Comment

I bought a N5a New Yorker 6 years ago for $325. Liked it so much I got another for when I got hired as a paid guy. Have both and use both. They are the best. The weight takes a little getting used to, but it's worth it.

Comment

I'VE HAD MY LEATHER FOR 7 YR'S NOW,NO PROBLEMS AT ALL IT HAS MADE MY NECK ALOT STRONGER NOW,N5A FOREVER.

------------------

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X