Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just out of curiousity...of all you guys (and maybe gals) who have leathers...how many of you bought them yourself as opposed to your FD buying them?

Both the FD's in my town issue leathers...we just give plastic metros to Juniors and Probies. Actually, when I was a junior we all had leather. Sucks to be the current juniors. As far as new regular members go, once they pass Firefighter 1 class, then they get leather as their reward.

Comment

Cairns 1010 lighter than a leather and cooler looking than a metro.

------------------
      The statements above are my own opinions

FF Greg Grudzinski
      Oaklyn Fire Dept.
      Station 18-3

Comment

Another New England vote for leather...Cairns New Yorker; I paid for mine myself

Comment

The leather helmet will last you a very long time. Most guys I know have had theirs for their entire career. I recommend the Cairns N5A "New Yorker". You can rip the rachet system out of it for a lower riding, better fitting helmet. I would say that the Leather Helmets are safer than the composite helmets because they are of tougher materials and construction. With a composite helmet, such as the Metro, you may need to replace it once the shell is compromised. That is very easy to do if you drop it. The visor alone can do it by rubbing each time you raise and lower it.
          You can buy a new leather for about $400.00. It is an investment that will last.

[This message has been edited by GBordas (edited 06-06-2001).]

Comment

Cairns Leather N5A New Yorker with Bourkes. Nothing else. Don't compromise with the Paul Conway, you'll regret it later. There is a difference, the Conways don't sit as high nor do they look like the Cairns. Go for it...you got an extra $400 laying around I know it!! Get the Cairns.

------------------
            Mike DeVuono
            Warminster Fire Dept.
            Engine Co. 91

"There are few atheists inside a burning building."

Comment

I haven't saved enough yet but LEATHER

Comment

Check out the Conway Heritage Leather helmets. They are a beter helmet than what Cairns is producing: field replaceable hardware(no need to send your helmet back to have the suspension or liner replaced)Leather lined suspension is standard not an expensive upgrade,Carved brass eagle standard again not an upgrade, dyed leather throught out, not painted so you dont have blistering or chipping problems like you do with Cairns. All options of eye protection are the same price. Prices now running about 320.00 complete.Do yourself a favor and check them out I think you will like the way it fits and feels better than the N5A's
                The folks at Conway have done their homework and understand what the firefighter wants.
                Stay Safe.

Comment

I have to agree with Rich F. The Conway is the better of the options I have seen. Most guys stick with the Cairns because they have been around forever. The Conway fits better, wears better, is less expensive and as stated before, it doesn't get chipped since it's died the whoel way through no matter whether it is red, yellow, white or black. I still have to say that the leather liner inside fits better than any other helmets I have tried.

------------------
                  I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it. You can't prove anything.

Comment

I can't comment on the Cairns - Conway issue because I've never used a Conway, but I have a few other comments:

1. If you have to use a rationalization like "it looks like leather, but...", then it isn't worth buying...just buy the leather!!

2. If you're using your leather properly, you'll burn, crush or otherwise bang up those fancy eagles anyway...why spend the extra money?? Same goes for gold-leaf fronts. The exceptions, of course, would be ceremonial helmets used for special occasions, given to retiring chiefs, etc.

3. Changing colors with changes in ranks is never a problem if you just buy a "natural" and keep it "natural"...I've just changed my frontpieces when I've change ranks and I was good to go.

4. Full face shields ruin the whole concept of a leather...only Bourkes are authentic. You can always carry goggles in your pocket if it's an issue for you. Personally, I actually use face shields, Bourkes, etc. so rarely that it makes no difference to me.

5. Leather is a preference...I bought mine myself, and I'd do it again. I'm also equipment officer for my company, and I buy Bullard Firedomes for company issue. We can't afford to be spending 4X as much on helmets to issue to everyone. If people want a leather in my company (like me), then they need to fork over the $400+ to get it. I don't see anything wrong with that. (I issued myself a Bullard like everybody else...no favorites...it sits in the trunk of my car with my spare turnout gear and rarely sees the light of day).

So, you can probably figure out my "optimal" helmet: Cairns N5A New Yorker (ratchet taken out), natural leather (no paint), Bourke shields, basic (name/rank/company number) leather frontpiece in the appropriate color(s) for the company/rank. Just exactly like the one on my shelf on the gear rack in my station.

Comment

Real Men wear leather.

Comment

I have a Cairns N5A New Yorker on its way to me. I am getting the black painted helmet. I have worn others to get a feel for them and i like them a lot. A lot of you guys are talking about taking out the ratchet systems in them, what does that do and how do you do it??
                        Thanks
                        DAN

Comment

Ford- Got leather as soon as I could afford it. New Cairns N5A is about a pound or a pound and a half lighter than about five years ago. I had a Bullard salesman come to the station recently and try to sell me one of their plastic traditional styles before he knew I already had leather; we weighed 'em up and they were dern near the same!! Newer suspensions are much more comfortable. As for the Conway-Cairns debate, I have never had a Conway-- had heard bad things, but there are obviously some that are very happy with them.
                          Yes, the Cairns will blister under high heat, but it is not a big deal to slap a new coat of paint on. After seeing salad-bowl domes under high heat and my leather under high heat, I would NEVER go without the leather.
                          As for ripping out the ratchet, that's a new one on me. I need it one size for extrication, etc., and a little bigger for the SCBA mask. I wouldn't want that investment flopping around. Stay on my melon!

Comment

I wasn't aware of a REAL helmet being made of anything else but leather.

Leather is forever.

------------------
                            David DeCant
                            Firefighter/NREMT-B
                            New Jersey, USA
                            Career or volunteer we are all brothers. Just feel good for the good you do for others.

Comment

Come on now brother--look's like leather!!

Once you buy your leather you will regret ever saying that. I have a New Yorker with bourkes. I would never go back to the junk 1010's, 1000's, etc...

LEATHER FOREVER!!

Comment

I don't use tupperware in my kitchen, I'm not wearing it on my head in a fire! We had switched to metro helmets in the early 80's, and mid-decade we went right back to leather. Now, most of our guys have been upgraded to the newest composite traditional style. They are lighter, but I'll keep my leather thank you. Besides, how well does a salad bowl keep debris from going down your collar(I know it's supposed to be up, but sometimes stuff gets in there anyway!). Sadly enough, you don't see leather much south of the mason dixon line, and not much west of Chicago.

Stay safe brothers and sisters...
                                and for the New Englanders...Leathah Forevah!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X