Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Chief, the question has been answered so many times, I am getting sick of writing it. Three items to take care of.

1. FD completes background check of applicant to include interview of all references (at least three should be provided) and past employers. Develop comprehensive list of questions before you call.

2. Have applicant provide you with a complete abstract of his driver's license history (put the onus on him/her). A DL history will give you a real good idea as to what kind of person the applicant is.

3. Complete psychological examination. A competent forensic psychologist can provide this service and make a strong recommendation as to whether or not the applicant meets the standard for what you, as a professional fire service administrator would expect from an applicant. (Don't be afraid to make a stand and then stick to your guns).

What? You're only a volunteer and you don't have time to do all this crap? And what? You need all the applicants you get and you can't afford to get that picky? Then you are not truly interested in fixing the problem.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

Come on guys! You can't be on both sides of the fence. Either you fight fire or you light fire, not both. As for punishment, try this on for size:
      Since they like fire SO much, why not lock them in a fire proof room and give them each 1,000,000 birthday candles and not let them out until every one is lit and burning. That should keep those two Dumb @$$es busy for a while. Just for kicks make it a room with an exhaust fan in the ceiling that won't shut off!!

Or....we could just burn them at the stake! Whatever works for u guys!

Comment

Old Chief: I love your opinion, the good 'ol boy way of handling these things is the best as i am old school myself...but, although it may work down in North Carolina (which is a state i love) in good 'ol lawyer-ridden, liberal NJ, those ways just wont cut it anymore.
        In my Dept. in central NJ we have an extensive application process which includes fingerprinting which, as was previously stated, will only return criminal convictions. It includes an interview process as well. As a police officer i will tell you that in NJ you can not obtain driving history from a local PD. That is illegal and can mean the end of a career for an officer or dispatcher. As far as JV records in NJ, forget it. You as an FD will NOT be getting that info either. Your best solution is to protect yourself legally with a criminal fingerprint background investigation followed up with a character interview and then your membership will have to monitor the new recurits as best as u can. The leadership and fellowship in a Dept will have to do all it can to prevent these tragic cases of fire setters. We can not prevent this from happening totally, just as the police cant prevent police officers from committing crimes totally. We just have to do the best we can and hope for the best.

Comment

Good list George.

Fire Engineering (sorry Firehouse) had a good article recently regarding this issue. Some very good advise on how to make sure that you get firefighters instead of firelighters.

One that you failed to list George.

Get at least three references. Then get at least three references from those references who also know the applicant. You now have 12 references and at least nine (9) of those are not ones given by the applicant. If the applicant has a questionable character and he knows it s/he isn't likely to give you references that will speak ill of him/her. The second level, the nine that you got from the applicants' references might give you a clearer picture of the applicant.

If you still have some questions regarding the applicant, ask the second level of references for two or three more people that know the applicant. If in doubt don't recommend him for membership or maybe invest in that phycological exam that George recommends.

And I agree, if you aren't willing to spend the time to check out the people who want to join an organization that has the publics trust, you should not be in the position to violate that trust. DO THE JOB OR FIND SOMEONE WILLING TO DO IT RIGHT. The time you take now to check them out might just cause less pain in the future for you and your organization.

Comment

we had a guy that was in a neighboring wanted to join the that f.d. so this guy said "if you join you gotta set fire to a house or barn." So he set fire to a house.they caught him put him in a pen for 3-4 years. He got out about 4 years ago. then this last fall he tried to join our dept(cause he knows the dept he orginally tried join wouldn't take him on)(which i wouldn't blame Them)them before we even took a vote we had him sit in his pickup as we voted. He said The chief and Asst Chief (cause the Asst Chief is wife of the chief) would quit if he got voted on. and with only about 13-15 . so not we'd loose our 2 most important officers in the dept. plus we'd have a felon on the dept which looks bad for us.

Comment

Whoa. Maplewood. Two questions.

How do you know that someone from the FD said this? If it was common knowledge, why wasn't someone from the neighboring dept. held accountable? Seems to me that this moron would have had a pretty good chance at a favorable plea bargain if he could provide solid info that the FD put him up to it.

Secondly, why was he even allowed to put in an app? Doesn't OH have any laws which prohibit a convicted felon from holding a public position? Seems to me that even if they didn't, the app could have been torn up and thrown away. What is the complaint going to be? "I am a convicted arsonist and I want to be a FF and they won't let me."? Come on.

Comment

"And the beat goes on.........."

Most interesting is the last paragraph. Background checks only work if you actually do them.

MD Firefighter Charged In Arson Fires

KATE LECKIE
                The Frederick News Post

BRUNSWICK -- Twenty more arson charges have been issued against a former Brunswick firefighter suspected of setting nearly two dozen blazes in Maryland and West Virginia, Police Chief Clark Price told the Brunswick City Council on Tuesday night.

In addition to two charges filed by Maryland authorities last week, Shane Michael Manner, 31, has now been charged locally with four counts of second-degree malicious burning and one count of arson involving a trash container, Chief Price said.

Sheriff's deputies in Hedgesville, W.Va., also have warrants charging Mr. Manner with 15 felony counts of arson for field fires there since last fall.

Mr. Manner moved from Brunswick to Hedgesville, a small town about 6 miles west of Martinsburg, about a month ago when he was dropped from the Brunswick Volunteer Fire Co.

One of the first two charges placed against Mr. Manner locally involved a fire on the property of Charles Leopold, who at the time was the Brunswick fire company president.

Chief Price commended Brunswick Police Capt. Donald Rough and Officer Ed Kornacki for the long hours they spent investigating numerous arson cases that led to the charges.

"They've taken a dangerous person off the streets," Chief Price said.

Brunswick Mayor Carroll Jones went a step further, thanking City Administrator David Dunn and Chief Price, who last week marked one year in the job, for his "tenacity" in pursuing the arson investigations.

"You kept it active. You" made it clear "you were not going to let this pass."

The investigation is not over yet, Chief Price said.

"We are continuing to investigate a lot of other fires," he said.

Deputies with the State Fire Marshal's Office said the case came to fruition last week when Brunswick police charged Mr. Manner with driving while intoxicated and filing a false report of a fire on South Virginia Avenue in Brunswick in November 2001.

Mr. Manner remains jailed in the Frederick County Adult Detention Center in lieu of $150,000 bail, authorities said.

Court documents report that Mr. Manner said he "had a lot of stress and would set fires to alleviate stress."

He also said he had "a serious drinking problem ... and hoped" he'd "get caught," the documents said.

While volunteering with the Brunswick fire company, Mr. Manner was recognized with one of its highest awards for dedication as its training officer.

Court records show that Mr. Manner has a criminal history dating back to 1989, including convictions on charges of harassment, assault with intent to maim, battery, breaking and entering, stalking and carrying a concealed deadly weapon.

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: George Wendt, CFI ]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X