This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This guy has a LOT of gall . . .

I received the following e-mail in response to my sending out Connor's letter re the Nat'l FF Day e-mail campaign. I cannot believe this man's arrogance :

"To Carla Smith of Dallas Texas.
    Since [email protected] is not a recognizable name, and since I could find nothing in aol's directory for Rockville Centre that comes even close, I leave it to you to pass this message on. If you want to. Otherwise, let me know Conner Geraghty's aol moniker. TKS CFE

Dear Conner,

My sympathy to you and your family. It is always hard to lose a parent, no matter how it happens. That is the point that must be remembered, and that, I am afraid to say, the firefighter families seem to forget.
    As a result of the World Trade Center disaster -
    At least 4,000 children will no longer see their father
    At least 4,000 wives, husbands, aunts, uncles, nephews and nieces will never see their loved ones again.
    Don't you think they deserve a national day of remembrance?

Your father and your family are among the lucky ones.
    You have a support team ready to step in and help.
    You have a community which honored your Dad. Even a Mayor and a Governor who attended his funeral (or if they didn't, it was because they were attending a funeral service for another firefighter or policeman).
    Your family will have the financial support, not only from the contract under which your father worked, but from the large sums collected by firefighters throughout the United States.

Have you thought about the poor Mexican immigrant worker earning minimum wages washing dishes in Windows on the World or bussing tables?
    Many could not even afford a funeral
    And if they did, no dignitaries attended their services
    Their families will have no death benefits.
    No one is collecting money for their survivors
    Unlike you, they will probably lose their homes and definitely have to do with less.
    And you know what's worse? Many may have been here illegally and working under somebody else's name, so that noone will even know they're dead.
    How would you like that? In comparison, you are lucky.

No, Conner, as sorry as I feel for you, I think this whole fireman thing has been overdone
    I, for one, have become calloused to the overblown wailing and hero worship.
    Your father took the job of fireman knowing what he was getting into.
    Your father's union regularly plays the "hero" and "danger" and "for others" cards during labor negotiations and has reaped a good pay, good fringe benefits, and the ability to retire on conditions that us ordinary folks can only dream about.
    The fact that he died while fighting a fire is part of risk he knew he was taking and getting paid for.

You ask for a National Firefighters Day.
    But do you know that your father's fellow firefighters rejected such an offer.?
    Not only did they reject a service honoring your father, but they kicked Mayor Guiliani in the teeth in the process.
    And why?
    Because your father's union leaders wanted to stand on your father's bones to make a political statement.
    When I see some humility among the firefighter community I will support your quest
    Absent such an attitude, I am afraid that the existing arrogance will only be perpetuated by the creation of a National Firefighters' Day, and that I will not support.

In the meantime, I have no doubt your father was a good man about whom you have many happy memories. And that is how it should be. You should, and I hope you will, celebrate your father because he was your father. Period.

With my best wishes
    Caspar F. Ewig" ([email protected])

Mr. Ewig:

I cannot believe your attitude. Pay attention here, son, because apparently, you haven't done so up to this point:

1. NO ONE has said, or even implied, that the effort to establish a Nat'l FF's Day is to the exclusion of any memorial effort on behalf of the thousands of victims.

2. NYC's leaders, and the rest of us, honor the fallen rescue workers - not JUST the firefighters - because while the office workers were scrambling to get OUT of the WTC, the rescuers were going IN, because we EXPECTED them to 'fix' it.

3. Please remember the "support" and financial benefits were NOT originally OFFERED to the firemen. Due to the relative danger of their jobs, compared to the rest of ours, they were able to bargain these into their contracts. I am just a bookkeeper, and my salary is still 28% HIGHER than a firefighter's starting pay. Since the duty is quite hazardous, and they willingly take those risks, I hardly find these benefits to be on the same level as 'perks.' Just what do you risk at YOUR job, for the benefit of YOUR community? A papercut? Bumping your heel on the casters of your chair?

4. As for the "poor immigrant workers," just what did the firefighters DO to make them poor, or immigrants? If they are here legally, then like all the other families of victims, the Salvation Army and Red Cross and Hollywood's stars have collected HUNDREDS of MILLIONS for them. If they are here illegally, and cannot apply for any of these death benefits, again I ask, just how is that the firefighters' fault? Since you are making so many illogical, apples-to-oranges comparison, the whole argument you made on this subject is just moot.

The rest of your letter deals with your opinion on a political matter, and as such is of little concern to a 14-year-old like Connor. I cannot believe you really think you needed to unload all these snide, hateful words on a young man whose father died while helping people survive the worst tragedy this country has ever seen. It is apparent you simply wanted to pontificate on the subject of unions, and that is subject-matter better suited to the Editorial page of your local newspaper (let me spell that out for you: here's a quarter, call someone who cares).

Carla Smith

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Carla Smith ]

Carla,

If you like you may forward this to Casper Ewig.

Why are you surprised by his attitude? It is the standard attitude of many civilians who have no clue about the job, but are sure we are overpaid, with extravagant benefits and retirement. Nevermind the fact that we tend to suffer higher injury rates than most any other job, as well as the fact that on average around 100 of us die every year on the job. And add to that that many of us do not get to enjoy a long retirement because cancers and heart disease take many out at very early ages. Yep...its all gravy being a firefighter.

I'm not whining...because I understand that the massive out pouring of love and admiration the FDNY is getting right now and the residual boost for the rest of us won't last forever. It sure feels great right now though. People have short memories and eventually we will be just those guys making noise on the big trucks.

As far as his comments on the rest of this...let me see if I have this right: Conner is lucky his Dad is dead because his family has a support network to help take care of them. The other victims families are unlucky their loved ones are dead because they don't have the same network of support. I think the obvious idiocy of this bears some enlightenment. Neither group of victims is "LUCKY" their dead loved ones has a support network. I would wager that Conner and his family would gladly pay ten times the amount of support they will get to have his Dad back.

Further more, what possible connection does a national firefighter day have to do with any of that, or illegal imigrants working at the WTC under aliases, or whatever happened politically over the memorial service in New York? Yes Conner's Dad took the job knowing the danger and he gladly accepted that fact. I feel sorry for you Caspar, you say you have become "calloused to the overblown wailing and hero worship", well, I have become tired of people like you who have no respect for anything or anyone. You are a evil, mean spirited man with no human compassion. I could actually not possibly care less what you think about firefighters, but to want your letter sent on to a child who lost his father is simply beyond my ability to comprehend.

Sleep well tonight Caspar for I am sure that you are well protected in your little world by overpaid, over benefitted, Firefighters, EMT'S, and police officers.

Don
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Carla,

When I was in New York 2 months ago I just happenned to see the letter that Connor had written, asking his father to come home. It was pinned to the fire station wall where his father worked. Of all the things I saw in New York, this was the saddest. In fact, it's probably the saddest thing I've ever seen and I was very emotionaly moved; What can be sadder than a boy waiting for his dad to come home...who never will come home. Whoever the guy that sent this reply is, let him know from me and let him know from all the firefighters in Australia, he is a disgrace as a human being. And his contempt for this boy who has lost the person who is everything in the world to him is just reprensible. I suggest you send his reply to the firefighters union, also to the IAFF and also to as many of the media as you can find...This animal belongs in the same cage as Bin Laden. Also, please pass on to Connor, the thanks from all the firefighters in Australia for what his daddy did. And if there is anything we can do to help his project, please let me know.

Kernin Lambert
      Firefighter
      Sydney
      Australia

Comment

Caspar F.Ewig...what kind of person would be named that?

How about an elitist, "old money" pseudo intellectual (who never inherited a fortune he didn't like) who is probably ****ed off because his stockbroker's office was in the WTC and the market was closed for a week. Someone who feigns compassion for illegal immigrants (he probably employs a few of them as nannies, gardeners, cooks and maids and pays them less than a living wage.) and looks down those employed in the public sector as overpaid, underworked and a burden on his earnings...in other words, he's a MUTT!

Conner, you dad is hero...don't ever forget that. He and his brother firefighters will be honored long after Caspar Ewig is just another obituary in the New York Times.
        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

That letter made me sick...sorry I was sick again, this man should be made to spend a month (if he can last)seeing what we see, doing what we do, being where we have to be, maybe he would have a differant point of view, that is if any department would treat him to this after what he has said.
          Stay safe

Comment

Just when I thought I'd seen it all....anybody know Caspar's address, and I don't mean his electronic one.

Comment

words can't describe how sick this guy makes me. Unfortunately, we've got the same sort here in my town. They're the kind of people who bad-mouth what we do and say we're overpaid and not necessary...that is, until THEY need us. Hope this ******* never needs a fire truck at his house.
              I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine.

--Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Au contraire, Trumpeter 75... you do want to to be on the fire truck that goes to his house...and get to show him what the job is all about!

We had an incident a few weeks ago, illegal burning, reported by the resident who lived next door to the perpetrator. Imagine the surprise of the crew when the address was that of one of our most vocal critics on the City Council! The personnel and company officer got off the rig and politely informed the Councilor that burning leaves was illegal in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and they gave him the choice of extinguishing the fire himself or that they would do it for him. Through the grapevine, I heard that he was impressed by the professionalism of the firefighters. I guess he was expecting to be read the riot act and treated harshly!

Every town and city has its Caspar Ewigs, they are mutts. We just have to work a little harder at turning mutts into buffs!
                ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Well, Well, Well,

It seems that Mr. Ewig thinks that he knows all about what we do. I didn't see him out at a woods fire at 3 a.m this morning nor do I suspect that anyone else saw him on any incident they were working. No, Ol' Caspar was home in his warm bed, No doubt dreaming about how he can further traumatize a 14 year old son of a fallen brother.

Mr. Ewig asks to see some "humility among the firefighter community". after portraying firefighters everywhere as a bunch of greedy, overpaid, underworked city employees who rob the honest, hardworking taxpayer of their hard-earned pay.

Try this for humility. If you are ever unfortunate to find yourself in trouble in my first due area, It just might be ME that has to cut you out of your mangled vehicle or drag you out of your burning home. You can rest assured that if it is me, I will do my very best to save your sorry ***, possibly at the cost of my own life. I do this for no salary or retirement and just a small insurance benefit. You see, I am a volunteer. I, and MANY others like myself spend hours and hours of our time responding to incidents, attending training, and raising funds so we can buy the equipment that the local gov't cannot or will not buy. Not to mention the missed sleep, missed meals, missed family activities. All for the reward of helping others when it counts. Sadly, we also get to take a lot of nasty, hateful BS from ignorant mutts like yourself.

What you obviously cannot understand is that the fire service is a brotherhood. We may not know each other, we may dress differently, Hell, we may not even speak the same language or worship the same god. BUT... And pay attention, this is important,

ALL FIREFIGHTERS ARE PART OF THIS BROTHERHOOD. Regardless if they are male, female, white, black, red, yellow. It doesn't matter what nationality they are or if they are paid or volunteer, public or private, local, state, federal or military. You, Mr. Ewig, can bet your last dime on the fact that WE ARE GONNA STICK TOGETHER!! Especially when it comes to your hateful attack directed at a hurting 14 year old boy.

If you cannot say something good, Don't say anything at all! Your Mother should have taught you that when you were a young child.

Best Wishes to You, too, Mr. Ewig.

Carla Smith,

Please feel free to forward my comments to Mr. Ewig directly.

Thanks

Jim

Comment

Carla-
                    Could you please forward this to Mr Ewig.

Mr. Ewig

I along with many of my brothers are appauled at the gall and lack of respect that you have shown Connor. The fire service is full of tradition and one of them is standing beside our brothers and their family in times of need. What you have said to this young man is enexcusable and heartless. Maybe you should spend a day in our shoes and see what exactly what it is that we do. No one but you can explain why you said what you did to this young man. Maybe its because you envy us, maybe its because your stockbroker's office was in the WTC and you are ****ed off because the stock market was closed for several days, or maybe its because your what we in the fire service refer to as a MUTT. You sir, are someone who would rather sit at home or in your place of business and talk bad about the fire service. You think that we are overpaid and underworked. Well here's a newsflash. There are more firefighters in this county who are NOT PAID. Yes, people like me, actually do this for FREE. We do it for many reasons, but I'm sure that none of them are important to you. Why dont you visit your local firehouse and ask them if you can ride with them for 24 hours. See whats its like to be up at 3 a.m. and be cold and tired from fighting fire.
                    As for your statement regarding the civilian victims of the WTC. Their death is saddening, just as the death of our brothers is. But how is that the fire department or anyone elses fault. Did the fire department force them to come here illegally and obtain fake names. No, I dont think so. So, I'll close this reply with a simple set of acronyms. Mr. Ewig, visit your local firehouse or ask a firefighter what they mean. If they can't tell you, please feel free to email me at [email protected] and I'll be more than happy to explain it to you.

FTM-PTB-EGH

M. Imrie
                    Proud member of the IACOJ
                    ftm-ptb-egh
                    *** These are my opinions, they do not in any way reflect those of my department.***

Comment

WOW.....just when you think you've met the biggest jerk in the world, along comes another to top him. To take the time to write such a despicable letter to a child is as unimaginable as what happened on 9/11. What a low-life. He mentions how concerned he is for the illegal aliens (aka, criminals) but who showed more care for them? Gee, it was the Rescue workers, wasn't it?! They all risked their lives to save those criminals, I mean illegal aliens.

I going out on a limb here and guessing that if this individual was in the Towers at the time of the attack, he would have been racing down those stairs pushing pregnant woman, the elderly, and the handicap, out of his way, and I bet he sure wouldn't have given a passing thought to those illegal aliens.

I'm also guessing that he's jealous of Connor's relationship with his Dad. After all he must not have a had a good one with his own Dad since he was named Casper F. Ewig (I keep looking it over to see if its one of those bogus names you used to give a substitute teacher!)

Carla, Please let Connor know we all love him. And all you firefighters reading this, we love you all too! You're all the best and no one can take that away from you, especially someone named Casper.

Comment

Carla,

I read the email and an truly outraged. If you could would you forward this the "person" who wrote it.

Mr. Ewig, you are truly a low, hateful person if you feel the need to write such a horrible email to a child mourning his father. Did you try to get hired on and fail the test? Maybe that is why you are so cruel.
                        We do not feel that we are a special group because of what we chose as a career. We are a family, we take care of each other and we honor each other. I'm not a hero because I'm a firefighter/EMT. The heros are those who go in when they know they might not come back out. The men and women who died in the World Trade Center went into that building and knew there was a real chance they wouldn't survive the day. They went in anyway and they deserve to be honored and their families should be cared for.
                        Mr. Ewig, let me ask if you have critized the Red Cross for its haphazard handling of the billions of dollars raised for the victims of 09-11-01? Any nasty critical letters to them? Or are you waiting for another victim's orphaned child to write a letter asking for some closure.
                        Mr. Ewig, we risk our lives for all. Even critical, mean people like yourself. We take your abuse and still respond when you call 911. Pardon my crudeness, but, to hell with you. I seriously hope that one day you realize how mean and narrow-minded you really are. And by the way, I'll still respond if you call 911 in my jurisdiction.

Sincerely,
                        PSO H. Langston, Firefighter/EMT-B, LEO

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: firebear235 ]
                        Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

Comment

Hey, I don't know if this is any help, but, i found this email address for Mr. Ewig.

[email protected]

Just thought I'd pass it on to everyone.

Stay safe and Happy Thanksgiving
                          Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

Comment

i wrote this turd a note. i just wish he lived are here to teach him not to pick on little kids. all well the ignorance continues i guess. hope everyone had a safe holiday!!
                            This is your brain... Pierce
                            This is your brain on drugs... E-One

Comment

What does one expect?He is a self righteous pompus and idiotic ***!Picking on a 14 yo???Probably a sorry little man.Mr Ewig or whatever your name is,bring it on over to me.As in days of old I will be happy to be the champion of this boy.In other words the gauntlet has been cast down Caspar.If you have the courage to say to me face to face the same self righteous pap,I will be happy to debate you.Marquis of Queensbury rules?Gloves?Or bare fist?Even if this was a debate of words,I would tear you apart.Your whole what of the immigrants?If they are illegal so what!They knew the dangers(sound familiar?)they couldnt afford a funeral?Hmmm you also said most of them were under assumed names.So how do we know who we got out of there?Here is an idea Caspar.Seeings I am such a mean guy why dont you go talk to someone that will go easy on you.How about you go down to Engine 54 and ladder 4 in Manhattan.Tell them your ideas.They lost the most in this act of war.I am sure they will feel your pain and have a big hug and cry in with you.Maybe light a few candles and sing Kumbayah or however you spell it.Feel free to e-mail me Caspar.It will be a delight!Just to hear you try to make sense of an illogical argument.Stay safe brothers and good job exposing this clown Carla.We all love ya here.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X