Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

dual band handheld portable radio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual band handheld portable radio?

Looking for information on a dual band handheld portable radio. Our county works on UHF 500MHz, the nearby county uses 154 MHz VHF frequencies. We keep hearing that there are dual band portable radios on the market, but as of yet, have been able to identify one. Does anyone know if one is made? Manufacturer?

Thanks,
    Steve Mower
    Station 15-1
    Woodbury Heights, NJ

Your on 500MHz? Well, that isn't going to help you much.

Vertex makes the only current Dual Band commercial radio but it only will go up to 490 in UHF. You may be able to special order it though Vertex to get all the way up into the 500's. If that doesn't work, there is no other portable out there. Mobiles are easy. Motorola and Kenwood both make setups to use two bands on one or two control heads. It simply uses two seperate trancievers and a connecting cable.

I know someone will bring it up so I might as well dispell it right now. You could probably get a dual band Ham Radio to tune up into 500MHz. However, this is not legal and will not perform nearly as well as one designed to be on those frequencies. The Ham radio is tuned to be on 430/440, not 50Mhz higher on 500. And even if it did work, using a radio that is a violation of federal law is generally not good practice in a Fire Department. So just pretend the dual band ham radios do not exist.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

There is a technical difficulty in getting a radio to transmit on two widely different frequencies involving antenna matching. Basically the length of the antenna must be a harmonic of the frequency of the transmitter. In VHF it is commonly 1/2 or 1/3 the wave length.

The problem is that if you use an antenna which is the wrong length, some of the power transmitted by the radio will reflect back into the radio and fry its own circuits. This is why a cheap scanner can cover multiple bands, but not an expensive handheld transmitter.

If I recall, there was one handheld on the market some years back which was both hi and lowbad VHF (154Mhz & 39Mhz) but you had to switch antennas before transmitting on the opposite band. It is possible that there are some radios which can use one antenna, but the freq's they use need to be harmonics of each other. This might limit you to two very narrow bands.

I'm sure any two band radio would be alot more expensive than just buying a 2nd handheld.

Just be glad you're not using 3 bands, Hi-VHF, 400Mhz, and 800Mhz as a city near me does. Yes, command carries 3 portables.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Comment

Whats up Heights

We have Motorola's but we are getting Kenwoods for all the trucks. 5 portables on each truck. I dont know the setup but the kenwoods work here in westville and in Camden County. We use to have the Motorola's for the Gloucester County and the Kenwood's for Camden County. I dont know if this helps
        Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
        Gloucester County
        New Jersey

Comment

It seems likely that most of the major radio manufacturers will have some type of dual or multi band radio available. Check the web site for Motorola or Kenwood. There are two other companies out there that make Ham equipment (but I don't know if they do otherwise- although it seems likely) and they are Yaesu and Icom.

I operate regularly on 144 MHz and 450 Mhz from the same handheld (a dwarf by comparison to the 800 MHz portables our department uses) with the same antenna. Technology is changing rapidly and there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to find a radio to suit your needs. Just be ready to pay the price.

Comment

Vertex is the commercial line from Yeasu. Same company, different name for the commercial line of radios.

Icom America makes both Ham Radio and commercial radios. They make good stuff but nothing Dual Band.

Kenwood also makes Ham Radio and Commercial radios. Again, nothing in dual band portable but still excellent quality.

Motorola makes only commercial radios. They used to have a ham radio but I don't think they make it anymore. They also make everything else under the sun.

As for antennas, there is a nifty gadget for your use. It is called a "Dual Band Antenna". They have been using them in Ham Radios for many many years. I use one myself on portable and mobile radios. You don't have to worry about trying to match a 1/4 wave VHF to 3/4 wave UHF etc etc etc. The antenans are designed with coils to work fine on both bands.

So basicly, from what I know of, you are SOL unless you can special order something from Vertex. They may start getting pricy though. For having communication with ONE mutual aid dept, I don't know if that would justify the cost. It may be better to just get a few VHF portables, maybe one for each unit. It all depends on your situation.

Comment

more about mobile units?

YOH WESTVILLE! Guess you know where we’re going with this…
              You probably have the answer, as you’ve been doin’ it all along.

Thanks to everyone else for taking the time to respond, this is helping us out.

I know this tread started with dual band “portables”, but we would like to expound a little on what nmfire said about mobile units. He writes that Motorola and Kenwood mobile units can be set up to run two transceivers under one control head with a connecting cable. Does anyone have a setup such as this? Should I expect a Motorola or Kenwood installer to be familiar with this set-up, or is this something that a couple of guys are going to have to put together from a back issue of Popular Science Magazine? Again just to refresh, we would like to work on a 500 MHz UHF frequency, and a 154 MHz VHF frequency off of the same mobile (head) unit.

As far as portables, I think we are going to find (as suggested in an earlier post) separate portables to be the most economic way to go.
              Thanks for your help,
              Steve Mower
              Station 15-1
              Woodbury Heights, NJ

Comment

One option for you might be an in vehicle cross band repeater. The way this would work is you would still use the 500 mHz portables that you use now but you would have an extra channel. This channel would talk to the in vehicle unit on 500 mHz and link you to the VHF channel you need. The disadvantage is that you would only be able to talk to 1 channel on the other band at a time so you would have to change the channel at the truck to talk on a different VHF channel.
                Hope this helps!

Comment

In regards to the two radio one control head question, a full line Motorola dealer should be able to do this with out problem but it is expensive. I know it works with the Spectra series radios and my also work with the CDM and MCS radios but I am not sure about those. The set up requires to compute radios (one VHF and one UHF) plus a special control unit. Expect to pay about 2 and a half time the cost of a single radio for the complete set up. I think this would be about $5,000 or $6,000 all together but it may be less I’m not sure.

Comment

The dual band mobiles that Motorola and Kenwood make are quite standard. No back issues of Popular Science. There is standard connecting cable and the software is designed for it. Any decent Kenwood or Motorola sales shop (not some rinky dink place) should know it exists and what you need.

Comment

Cross band repeater

Our county dispatchs on low band, and gives us a few other low band channels for fire gound ops.

About 5 years ago, my dept went out and licensed ourselves on 3 VHF frequencies. We've always carried 2 portable because of this.

I'm working on pricing out a cross band repeater system by Motorola that would be placed at a station to replace an antiquated base station radio. (Rather surprised by cost, approximately $3,000 for both radios, RIC, 1 antenna & power supply.)

In a nutshell, I will be able to carry 1 VHF radio, communicate will our 3 VHF fireground frequencies, and if necessary, have the repeater kick me out to low band dispatch frequency.

Limitations
                      Repeater is located at station, not on apparatus, so coverage from the portable may be an issue.
                      Locked into only being able to cross talk to the 1 frequency on low band.

Advantages
                      Cost (low band equipment is very expensive),also not buying 2 portables for every officer.
                      Simplicity, just switch to channel X and can transmit on low band.

Also looking at the Kenwood dual-band mobiles: like nmfire said, pretty straight forward (tab A goes into slot A, & very user friendly when set-up)
                      Chief Jim Bator
                      www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
                      Got Crust?
                      FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

nmfire,

I don't want to start an argument, however I am familiar with and use a mutil band hand-held radio that is capable of 50MHz,144MHz and 440MHz in a package that is 5" tall 3"wide and 1.3" deep including battery. Motorola makes a radio that is capable of 144,222,and 440 Mhz's in the same size. These are nothing more than multiple radios attached to the same head. In fact, on my Yaesu- I can listen to two separate frequencies at the same time. Or scan two separate fqcy's likewise.

Also, if the company makes a radio like what you're looking for, guaranteed that it will come with an antenna that works.

Call your Vertex or Motorola rep. I'm sure they will have more solutions than you can imagine. After all- this is their business.

Comment

I apologize for bump an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting things from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future I have many models of the Baofeng radios mostly the UV-5R series, some 888's and some GT's. The software and a cable is mandatory for programming the 888's and GT's because they lack a keyboard and screen. Everyone talks about the UV series as being difficult to program but I find menu system very easy to navigate. Also, a word on the advertised output of these units. Despite what the manual or the ad claims these radios will not put out the advertised watts. I test each radio I purchased. The following statement almost always rings true of HT's and that would be output is higher in the VHF range and will get close to advertised ratings (4.2 watts vers 5 watts) but on UHF it will be a little more than half of the advertised rating (2.5 vers 4 watts). The frequency in the band you plan to operate on will figure in as well. Mobile units seem to be the exception. I still have some old Radio Shack 2 channel MURS radios https://secretstorages.com/best-handheld-ham-radios/ These units are programmable and operate on the VHF band. Advertised output is 5 watts. One unit tested in at a full 8 watts and the other one managed about 7.5 watts which is well above the advertised RF output of 5 watts. I was very surprised at those numbers. My Icom dual bander also managed to beat out the advertised RF ratings on both VHF and UHF bands. Advertised VHF is 55 watts, actual was 62. 50 watts UHF advertised, actual was 54. I have yet to find the perfect radio, HT or mobile. There are pros and cons with all of them. IMHO the Baofeng radios may not be up to everyone's standard but for the money they can't be beat.I often look at Youtube for different videos on this topic, I'll leave you here, maybe this will be useful to someone in the future

Comment

Bump a 15 year old thread to recommend a piece of crap radio. Well done, sir.
                            Two departments, twice the fun...

Comment

15 year thread and BS information. This is great.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X