This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stations near UMD

i am looking for PGFD stations near the university of maryland. Stations 1, 12, 14 and 31 are near there, right? anyone currently with these stations? where can i get info on them? any other statiosn near UMD?

I think Branchville is there, too..They have a College Park mailing addy...

Try:
    Hyattsville: www.hvfd.com
    Branchville: www.bvfco11.com
    College Park: www.cpvfd.org
    Berwyn Hts: www.bhvfd14.org
    Beltsville: www.homestead.com/beltsvillefiredept
    My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Comment

patch361, check out Berwyn Heights Co. 14 at www.bhvfd14.org
      The above is my opinion only, it doesn't reflect that of any dept./agency I work for, am a member of, or deal with. Also, I do not intend to bash anyone, I'm just stating what I do, and have seen. If anyone is offended I apologize.

Comment

patch361, check out Berwyn Heights Co. 14 at www.bhvfd14.org

To tell you a little about the station we are 1 mile east of UMD. The station operates 2 Heavy Rescues, a Tractor-Drawn Aerial, a Boat, and an Ambulance.

Run Stats as of 2400 hours on 10/18/01
        Squad-2217 (both squads combined)
        Truck-625
        Ambo-1132
        Boat-2

Our squad ranks in the top 3 as far as runs for every year, but Squad 27-Morningside will definately be first this year b/c of all the anthrax scares (suspicious packages) they have been runnning. Our Truck is usually in the top 2 for Trucks, and our Ambulance is the 3rd slowest in the county.

If you are interested in our live-in program feel free to email me.
        The above is my opinion only, it doesn't reflect that of any dept./agency I work for, am a member of, or deal with. Also, I do not intend to bash anyone, I'm just stating what I do, and have seen. If anyone is offended I apologize.

Comment

Wow...Third busiest special services and one of the slowest ambulances....Firefighter's dream...

When does RS14 go, and when does RS14R go? And does 14R ever go as Engine 141?
          My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Comment

12 (college park) id first due on most of the campus. Immediately surrounding are Branchville 11, Chillum Adelphi 34, Hyattsville 1, and Riverdale 7. Other companies such as Beltsville and Berwyn Heights are due on box alarms as well

Please ask tiller for an explanation of why they have a class A pumper, but it cannot run as a pumper. Don't wanna step on any toes.

Comment

Hey Grit, I don't know who you are, but it doesn't sound like you've been around PG for a while. Our reserve squad our SQ14R is not a rescue pumper. We sold that to the PGVFD (Pleasant Gap VFD) in PA about 1 1/2 years ago. We do not run an engine company b/c in a 1960's study their was more than enough engines in the area, but not enough trucks. That being the case engine co. 14 was placed out of service and truck co. 14 was placed inservice. This was in 1968.

SQ14 is our primary rescue squad, SQ14R is our reserve or back-up squad. Kind of like how some stations have 2 or 3 engines. PGFD only has 1 reserve squad which I do not know where it is right now, but SQ49-Laurel Rescue has been running an old Ford reserve engine for 2 months now while theirs is out.

Hope that helps you out Grit.

Comment

to tillerman, what kind of requirements are needed for live-in at 14?

to everyone, do a lot of companies have live-in programs or are some do it b/c of the univeristy? anyone actually in a live-in program or was in one? anything you can share? what's the difference between a sackroom (college park 12) and a bunkroom? how does running calls affect homework/projects?

Truro, thanks for the links. very helpful.

Comment

Here's another

West Lanham Hills Co 28 PG County

Good Luck.

GO TERPS!!!!!!!!!!

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Phildabox ]

Comment

There are plenty of stations within a 10-15 minute drive to UMD (1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 28, 31, 34, 35, 41, 48) I'm pretty sure that most of these stations have some type of live in program.

The only station within walking distance of UMD is Station 12. Stations 1 and 34 are pretty close to UM Shuttle Bus routes. All the others are a quick drive.
                    Move fast or move aside...

Comment

Difference between a sackroom and a bunkroom:

spelling

Comment

got a source that told me about some stations when i considered being a vollie in PG: 12 is a bunch college kids so if you want the dorm experience w/o spending $$$ join their dorm(frat?)...you get riots as a bonus. 11? nevermind. suprised truckman even mentioned 13. 14 has no pumper so i hope you like squad work cuz that'll all you'll probably do. good luck, kid.

Comment

Patch361 the live-in requirements at 14 are pretty simple. You have to be there 5 nights a week from 2300-0700 and get turned over to drive the ambo and tiller within 18 months. Station 12 is very strict as far as their rules for riding, grades, etc. Also I think you have to be a student at the University of MD to live in their bunkroom. Station 14 i on the UM Shuttle route as well.

Comment

College Park VFD Company 12 is on the campus and first due to almost all of it. We are almost totally run by college students and have been for a long long time. We have a very organized program that offers a lot. We may be stricter to some people but we like how we do things. We get the job done and we still have fun. More and more companies nearby are looking to college students. Some are kind of like us and some are very different. We each have our positives and negatives. Stop by we are right at the main gate to campus on Route 1. www.cpvfd.org

Comment

As tillerman14 said, Berwyn Heights has a lot to offer students. We run plenty of calls to keep busy. It is great to live there (I did not go to school, but did live there). If you want more info on the department, go to Berwyn Heights web site. There are pictures there and I believe more info on the bunkroom. We do not have separate rooms but have high walls between bunk areas. Also have DSL for computer access.

The above is based on my opinions and does not reflect those of my company.
                              THE ABOVE REFLECTS MY OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY REFLECTS THOSE OF MY DEPARTMENT.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X