This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for IAFF guys...

What does IAFF Constitution and By-Laws, Article XV, Section 3 say?

Found it referenced at http://www.ufoa.org/prez/gmm0601.html#eight
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

To sumarize it says that any IAFF member found to be working as a paid on call, per diem, industrial fire fighter or working for a private company who provides emergency medical or fire suppression services shall have their membership revoked.
    Go raibh maith agat Go gcuire Dia an t-ádh ort! Dyfal donc a dyrr y garreg!!!!!

IN MEMORY OF THE "MOOSE" 1974-2002<br />Ni bheidh mo leitheid ar'ris ann.

Brothers till the end. "If they don't have GUINNESS in heaven we aint goin!"

Comment

Does it say that union members cannot volunteer for a strictly volunteer department?
      IACOJ Agitator

Comment

Yes, there are strict rules against working as a paid on call or vollie when you are a member of the IAFF. It is one of the rare instances where your membership can be terminated. Now thats according to the IAFF bylaws every local has adopted their own bylaws but in the case where your bylays do not cover or address an issue you fall back on the IAFF bylaws.

Comment

Thanks for the info
          IACOJ Agitator

Comment

Gee, it was really dangerous of me to go to all those FDNY funerals, belonging to such a conflicting organization and all....

Comment

IF YOU DONT LIKE IT THE ADDRESS TO TURN YOUR CARD IN IS ON THE BACK OF YOUR IAFF CARD OR I WILL GLADLY TELL YOU THE ADDRESS AND I WILL EVEN MAIL YOU A WITHDRAW CARD. IF NOT DONT WORRY ABOUT IT AND KEEP ON DOING WHAT YOUR DOING.

Comment

Gentlemen...let's try NOT to turn this post into a ****ing contest...create a new post for that

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Adze ]
                IACOJ Agitator

Comment

I'm glad unionproud is proud. I'm glad h feels confident this issue is so black and white. I think it's grayer than he does.

I am not a Vol FF, and have been a Union member for 12 yrs or so. I understand the constitution is pretty clear, and actually a Local would not be allowed to change that part of the By Laws.

That all said, I also believe if you are a union member living in Podunk County of Your State that has no paid firefighters, you should seriously consider being involved with your local Vol FD.

If, on the other hand you lived where there is a combination FD, and you being a volunteer would or could impact whether this locale hired additioanl firefighters you should refrain from becoming involved with that FD.

I feel that is the intent of the By Law.

Just my opinion... Opinions are like *******s... everyone has one.

Comment

That all said, I also believe if you are a union member living in Podunk County of Your State that has no paid firefighters, you should seriously consider being involved with your local Vol FD.

If, on the other hand you lived where there is a combination FD, and you being a volunteer would or could impact whether this locale hired additioanl firefighters you should refrain from becoming involved with that FD.
                    I'm just a volunteer, but I agree with the above quote. If you live in a town or county that cannot afford to hire career guys, then the excuse of "taking away jobs" is illogical. I cannot really see a valid point for a union to oppose that. However, I can see it being a point from a department saying that if you got hurt volunteering then they have to pay someone overtime, yadda, yadda, yadda.

As far as the combo departments go, the IAFF is a pro-career UNION. Its job is to protect its own. If a combo department has many volunteers, they might try to justify axing a career position or two and the IAFF wants to prevent stuff like that.
                    IACOJ Agitator

Comment

The funny thing is, from my humble experience, the folks I have seen with Union's attitude over the past 27 years have been the biggest gung-ho volunteers before they were career. And then, they were back to volunteering AFTER they retired!!! This just cracks me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Adze:

the excuse of "taking away jobs" is illogical. I cannot really see a valid point for a union to oppose that. However, I can see it being a point from a department saying that if you got hurt volunteering then they have to pay someone overtime, yadda, yadda, yadda.
                        Funny that the IAFF takes this position, since none of the departments they work for started as paid. Its only a matter of time till most (if not all) depts. are paid, but to prevent volunteerism, that is ridiculous.
                        The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Comment

Too much Fire Dept. is not HEALTHY. If you are a paid firefighter, you should get all the excitement you need with your fulltime job. It is good to do other things with your life. The Fire/EMS service can be difficult on both your body and your mind. Do other things. Spend time with your family and friends. I am a Local Union President who spent the first 8 out of over 20 years in the fire service as a paid-on-call firefighter. I understand the need and the dedication of POC/Volunteer firefighters. I DO NOT understand why a union firefighter finds it necessary to come into my firehouse and TRY to boss me or my fellow firefighters around because they are part time officers.
                          IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

I'm just a volunteer, but I agree with the above quote
                            adze, your nor any of the rest of us are JUST volunteers, we (volunteers) provide the same service to out cities as paid F/F, without volunteers most small towns or even larger towns would be waiting for there nearest paid dept to come to there aid because they cant afford to have their own. i have absolutely no problem with Paid/Non paid but most cities/towns cannot afford paid depts and thats where we come in
                            9/11/01 forever in our hearts

Comment

Just thought I should point out that a large number (unsure if it's a majority) of FDNY firefighters volunteer at home. I can't imagine how they are taking away any career jobs.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X