This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad 13 PGFD

I was listening to PGFD on the internet and heard Squad 13. I haven't been to MD in a while and was wondering when did they get a squad, also how does this affect other squads.

I had heard something to that effect a while back, but I'm suprised that Riverdale Heights Vol. Fire Co. still has the membership in numbers capable of running another service out of that house - Good luck to them (but I'd bet the guys at 14 aren't too happy - they keep losing first-due area more and more!! )
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Comment

BTW, UMD99, what link do you use to listen to the PG communications? I used to hook up through www.10-75.com, but I haven't been able to get that to work lately.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

RS13 went in service about three months ago, if memory serves...Grit, Phildabox, anybody from PG, how is it working? How's new Truck 1? I've heard reports the loom of smoke from the Bowie fire could be seen from DC?

IJ- Try www.laurelvfd.org or www.riverdalevfd.org ...Both have links to a live feed...
        My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Comment

From what I understand there is constantly a "War" going on in PG County between the Volunteers, The Career Firefighters, and the Fire Department Brass. One company always trying to out do the other, One thinking they are better than the other and so on....I may be wrong about all this and someone correct me if I'm wrong but my information source is pretty reliable. My personal opinion is that the PGFD is one hell of a department with some of the best trained volunteer and career firefighters out there {I say this because of the work load they get and because I had the chance to ride with 33's about 3 years ago.} What I'll never understand though is why these companies can't get along and why they always have to try and out do the other. Squad 13 probably fiqured they'd start a Rescue/Special Service simply so that 14's wouldn't be on their boxes any longer...Thats so stupid ---- I say one department...Work together to accomplish the mission....Not against each other !

......And the PGFD Saga goes ON.!!
          ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

Comment

IJ I go to www.riverdalevfd.org to listen to PGFD. Also IJ did the membership at Riverdale Heights decline. Truro I have seen a pic of the new Truck 1 on Hyattsville's website. It is a real short (wheelspan) piece. Also I saw on Code 3 that they were making Engine 333 from Kentland.

Comment

Truro...that column from the Michael's in Bowie was visible from further away than DC.
              Move fast or move aside...

Comment

Thanks for the tip, UMD99 - I'm tuned in right now!
                As for RHVFD membership, I was only going by my limited knowledge from a few years back (in the early - mid 90's) when their numbers of volunteers seemed to be dropping - I guess they have a fairly good membership, though to get a Squad up and running - to do that properly takes a lot of man-hours of training and preparation. Does anyone have or know where one could see a picture of their squad?

Comment

you want to know what it looks like? Take a look at a freightliner ambulance and add 8 feet or so, a weird paint job and people that should not be running a squad and you will have a pretty good idea.

Comment

This is just classic PG one-upmanship. Nothing new UMD.

Brian: I'd rather be down here outdoing each other than up in NJ (where I left 23 years ago) where they still wear ice-cream man uniforms on first aid calls, base mutual aid on who your friends are, pass directly by the quarters of nonresponding companies due to first due configuration, on, and on...... Man I was even ordered to watch a house burn one time because it was ACROSS THE STREET from our first due and the other company wasn't there to give us permission to play

Anyway, everywhere has their issues. I have a lot of friends that have gone career, some already retired. I am always amused because I hear stories from both sides of that fence.

As for the Michael's fire, the main feed valve was almost closed, rendering the sprinklers inoperative altyhough enough was getting through to flush the crappers. NOW PICTURE THIS: the emerald society tried to pump the connection with a reserve pumper but hit a dead hydrant. Still no word on how their nomex kilts held up.

Comment

Emerald Society engine??? Good grief, Charlie Brown...

Lemme ask..When something this big burns- do you guys get mutual aid from the district? and do they have equipment to take runs in the county (correctly sized connections, proper radio channels, etc)...What about the other way around?

And is there ANYONE on here who hasnt ridden or volunteered at Kentland at some point?
                      My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Comment

Here I am - never ridden at Kentland. I started at a time when station loyalty was high, and there was very little riding elsewhere or transferring like is prevalent now.

No mutual aid from DC. Some goes the other way. Some residents of NW DC actually call Bethesda - Chevy Chase Rescue in Montgomery County directly rather than diling 911 for DC.

DC's 2 1/2 threads are the same but steamer connections are a different size

Comment

Well...some people's definition of being "members" at Kentland (Namely from PA, NY and NJ) is a very different picture in their minds than in the minds of actual members of 33 or any other PG station for that matter. I would venture to say that most of these people that consider themselves "members" at 33 wouldn't be recognised as having ever stepped foot in the station by anyone that is a real member.
                          Basically, because PG is one of the busiest FD in the country and the volunteers are still in control (perilously at this point)vollies from all over the east coast like to ride and say that they "belong" down here. Just my feelings after 12 years in this fire department.

Comment

Did Engine Co. 13 purchase SQ13 or did the county buy it? From what I have seen and have done research on, aren't there quiet a few squads on northside? So what did Eng. Co. 13 do to get a squad?

Comment

Chalk me up as one who has never riden at Kentland.

13 bought the Squad. It was a demo from some company and they bought it as is. Looks like a big giant Freightliner Medic Unit.

And to someone elses comment...yes there is an overabundance of Squad Companies in 13s area. In addition there is an overabundance of Truck Companies in the area.

And how did 13 get a sqaud in service...sometimes you say the right thing to the right person who's got the right job at the right place and at the right time.
                              Move fast or move aside...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X