This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• positive pressure ventilation

comments and suggestions from the house as to whether ppv can be used as a substitute for the use of scba when doing overhaul or fire investigation at a fire scene.
    keep your hoses charged.

I don't see how. There's a lot of yucky poison in the air and PPV fans probably wouldn't move enough volume to replace the tainted air fast enough.

But I don't know. I'm just a probie.
    Probie Name: HurryUpMichelle!!

Comment

Definitely not! What you can't see will hurt you. You normally ventilate from room to room or section to section. When entering these areas to provide a ventilation opening without SCBA you will breathe the toxins that are in the air. Also, gasoline powered PPV fans produce significant amounts of carbon monoxide, which will be drawn into the fan and into the building. I learned that one while trying to lower the amount of CO in a building by using a gas powered PPV fan.

Comment

Definately not.During overhaul as your fans remove the heat the worst of the toxic gases will come down from the upper level of the structure. True you are moving them out faster with the PPV but they are still there. We do allow of a mask with resp. filters so you can shed the pak but you must maintain respiratory safety throughout the incident clear through to the end. Manny also made a very important point with the CO levels from the fan itself.
        I shall fear no evil, for I am a Firefighter

Comment

I agree, you need to protect yourself till you know the air is good.
          If you have one around, after the bulk of the smoke is gone, use a quad meter to check out the air.
          The MSA Orion looks like a good model for this because of its construction and filters.

I can remember on more than one call, to clear smoke from a building, introducing enough CO into the structure to set off a CO detector. I personally don't want to expose myself to more co than is necessary.

Comment

We had a guy inspecting the ppv fan on our service truck one day , he was blowing it straight into the trucks back door with the front ones closed, just for kicks and giggls we checked the CO with the gas monitor to find out what level it was. It had risen to over 200 parts per million in just a few minutes. A positive pressure fan's primary use is to remove smoke, gases and heat from a structure. It will help to prevent flashovers and improve visibility during a fire attack if done correctly, but the so called "fresh air" that it pumps into a house is not as fresh as it seems. I would suggest purchasing a gas monitor and use it to determine when the atmosphere is safe to operate in without SCBA or another form of breathing protection.

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: fireeater650 ]

Comment

SCBA while doing overhall?!?!?!?

Oh that's *cough* what I *cough* have been doing *cough* wrong all these years.

The proper way is to know if you can take off your SCBA is to meter the atmosphere. That is the only way you will know if it is actually safe to breath what's floating around you.

PPV might expediate the time you have to wait to not use SCBA, but it doesn't replace it.
              IACOJ Agitator
              Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...