No announcement yet.

Bunker gear on EMS calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always wear at least the pants and usually the coat. If upon arrival we find out it not too messy then the coat comes off. A few f/fs on the dept. have had some serious tests due to the exposure (AIDS, Hepatitis, etc.) I feel you can always wash bunker gear or replace it but it is harder to wash or replace a firefighter.

Comment

I like to wear my turn outs on crashes and when there is inclement weather, i.e. snow, rain, etc. I will wear them if I am working out, instead of changing back into my trousers. Not too much at night, unless, again, the weather. There are some guys on my department who you think will have an MI when I wear them. I think that's another reason I wear them.

Be safe,
      Heibs

Comment

I wear my bunker pants and helmet on ambulance assists and my full gear on mva. But i always take my full gear with me on the truck just in case we would happen to get another call. I can always take the coat off and put it in the truck.

------------------
        Matt Briskey
        Eastern Garrett County
        Station 80

"What's in it for me?

Hard Work
        Injury
        Possible Death
        A deep and abiding feeling of personal satisfaction found in few aspects of life"

"Nobody ever called the fire department when they did something smart!!"

Comment

I wear my bunker pants when I do not have my station blues on. I wear my coat on all crashes or when I need to be highly visible. I mainly wear the bunker pants because I would rather ruin a pair of the county's bunker pants and get new ones for free than have to shell out a go chunk of change for a new pair of jeans.

Comment

On an ems call you need to look professional and wearing a pair of shorts doesn't cut it. You definitely need to have pants on. If you have your station blues on I would say that is sufficient for most calls. If you are running an accident I would say you definitely need to have bunker gear on. Rescue squads need to have gear on when performing an extrication, so if you are gonna be anywhere working with them you better have it on too. Plus, on regular calls you can't go wrong have at least the pants on because if they get ruined who cares, the county/station buys you a new pair. If you ruin your own pair of paints, time to go buy yourself something new.

Comment

My department runs a tiered system where a fire company whether it be engine or truck first responds to all ems runs. During cold weather i pretty wear my bunkers all day including ems calls, it helps with warmth and reduces prep time if you get a fire while out and about. I wear bunkers on all runs after bed time. Keeping in mind my company makes about 4000 runs a year so sometimes its just easier to leave them on rather than jumping in and out all day.

Comment

On a medical call I prefer to wear my night hitch. It doesn't matter wether it is day or night. In some parts of town you certainly don't wish to be kneeling on the floor in just your station wear!!!!!

Comment

Some of the new sets of bunker gear is NFPA 1999 compliant, this means that it is made to protect you from body fluids, I feel that on any call where there is a possibility of coming in contact with body fluids you should take the extra precaution, my department issues squad coats that are NFPA 1999 compliant so most of the time I wear the coat to protect myself from exposure.

------------------
                  STAY SAFE ALL OF MY BROTHERS.

Comment

Just like everyone else I usually only wear them when not wearing my usual on duty clothes.

------------------
                    Fishers Fire Dept.
                    FF/Medic
                    Local 416

Comment

I think you should wear your gear when the scene necessitates the wearing of protective clothing. I don't think you should wear your gear because it makes you look good.

Comment

Sometimes in the winter or other bad weather I'll bring my bunkers home and set them by my bed or the door.

Coat and Helmet stays at station.
                        BE A BACKBONE - NOT A JAWBONE

Comment

WOW, 7 year resurrection. Nice!
                          FTM-PTB-RFB
                          IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by Ha11igan View Post
                            Sometimes in the winter or other bad weather I'll bring my bunkers home and set them by my bed or the door.

??? Why..this doesn't make any sense.
                            'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ha11igan View Post

I think its best to keep your gear all together at all times.
                              Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
                              4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Comment

Originally posted by PureAdrenalin View Post
                                ??? Why..this doesn't make any sense.

I'm going to respond to the station anyways, it just makes it that much easier and faster if I don't have to put a pair of shoes on, take them off, put bunkers on.

Instead I can just throw the bunkers on faster than a pair of shoes and I'm out the door.

What good would it do to have the coat and helmet at home too?
                                BE A BACKBONE - NOT A JAWBONE

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X