This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Helmet Help?

The Department where I work issues firefighters Cairns 1010 helmets. I am intresed in purchasing my first leather. I am looking at either the Cairns Sam Houston or Paul Conway American Heritage Leather. I like the Paul Conway because of its lower profile. I do not know anyone who has Paul Conway Leather so I have not heard anyones testimonies. Any advise you guys out there could give me would be great. the pro's and con's of both may help me make a better decision.
    thanks!

Stay Safe.
    EGH-RFB

I have had a Conway for a year adn a half now. I absolutely love it. It is about comparable in weight but I personally feel it sits better on your head. The carved eagle, for asthetics, is not an additional price and teh leather wrapped padding and supports in the helmet make it more comfortable and the helmet doesn't slide or move around at all on you when you do quick movements or if you sweat like a stuck pig, like I do. The best thing you can do if you get a Conway though is put a pair of ESS goggles on it. The original goggles just aren't the best and teh ESSs are much easier to use with gloved hands.

Take care, stay safe and see you at the big one.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

Personally, I have a Sam Houston. I love the helmet, and would buy another if I needed to. The only thing I would change is the leather band at the fore-head section. Make sure you get the right sized helmet for your head.
      "Honor Above Thyself"

Patrick Harper

NOTE: THE VIEWS EXPRESSED BY ME IN THIS FORUM DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Our dept. issues Sam Houston, personally I love mine. Some guy have a problem with the weight, these are the same people that have a problem with any change. That is a subject for another day. The Conway is a nice helmet also, it sits a little lower on the melon.

Comment

I have owned all 3 helmets, Houston, New Yorker, and I currently have a Paul Conway. It is balanced perfectly and feels great. I will not buy any other helmet but Conway anymore.
          Craig Walker

Union Strong...Union Proud

An Irishman is the only person in the world who would walk over 12 naked women to get to a bottle of Stout.

Comment

I have a Sam Houston and I LOVE it! It is a little heavy, but is the best helmet out there. My fire Lt. has a Paul Conway and she likes it because it is light, But I'm a cairns man myself.

This is just my opinion and opinions are like butts, everybody has one and most of them stink. FFTex

Comment

I have the American Heritage. I also agree that it is a great helmet. Although I have no experience with other leathers, the AH is great, and I see no reason not to get one.
              IAFF
              PFANJ

Comment

I use a New Yorker, had problems with the balance and comfort until I removed the wratchet and cut the support straps, then velcroed the pad to the top of the inside of the helmet (which totally voids any warranties or safety certs).

Now it fits tight, rides lower, and is balanced perfect. Just fold the neck liner up against the inside of the helmet to get a tight fit when not wearing your mask.

Got the helmet as a gift 5 years ago, would spend the money to replace it if needed.

My testimonial for NY'rs.

Comment

I have had my Conway for about a year now and would never buy any other helment. By far the most comfortable helmet that I have ever worn.

Steve

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X