Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What got You started in the Fireservice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like many others have stated previously, my dad was a firefighter on a volunteer department, so that's what interested me initially. When I moved to the town I live in now, I was finding it difficult to get to know people. Fact of life in a small town--if you weren't born and raised there, you will always be an outsider. I figured joining the fire department was a good way to get to know people and prove I was part of the community. When I joined 14 years ago, I had just enough rebel in me (and still do) to do what many thought I shouldn't or couldn't do. Many assume my husband is a volunteer firefighter also, but he's not.

Comment

When I was 15 a guy I knew in high school got me interested in the rescue squad. When I was 17 I took a class offered by my high school called fire science. Found out I was more interested in fire than ems so at 19 joined a local vol. co. and quit rescue squad. Been there since.

Comment

I joined the local Fire brigade in 1984 after a friend of my father aproached me and asked if I would be interestd as I lived and worked in my home town of 1500 people. Anyway I joined the brigade and after about 2 years took over engine keeping duties from the chap who asked me to join as he was being forced to quit due to ill health. I then transferred to a neigbouring station in a bigger town which had a career officer attached and moved there as well. In that time we were involved in everything that could fly the flag for the Fire brigade which I thought was absolutely brilliant. It was the officer attached to this station that inspired me to join full time as he truely loved the job and made it fun to be in as well. It took 2 attempts at the entrance exams to get in, that was 10 years ago and I have 20 plus left to go. Stay safe Smokey

Comment

Like many of you, had family in the service. My father was a Philadelphia firefighter for 30 years after leaving the Marine Corps. I was and am proud of him and the things that he did, plus I got to hang around the station once in a while (once you see those rigs up close, especially as a kid, there's no turning back!).

Then, of course, there's the usual...a steady diet of Johnny and Roy and the guys at Station 51, plus innumerable summer days spent "rescuing" other kids from burning jungle gyms and treeforts...

For whatever reason you do this job...thanks for being a brother or sister in the service.

Stay safe!

Comment

I'm a third generation volunteer. My grandfather was a past chief as well as my father. My father is also a retired paid chief with the Veterans Admin. I have a younger brother who has been in for 5yrs. I'm just a late bloomer I guess. I always knew that I would be a volley. I have been in for almost a year and kick myself all the time for not doing it sooner.

Be Safe and protect each other!!

Comment

This may sound stupid, but I really don't know. I've always have been a person that liked to help others. No one in my family was ever involved in the service prior to me. I had cousins in another state that are involved with EMS, but that's all I can think of. I do recall at a very young age riding my bike to the fire house when I heard the whistles go off. Was always interested to see what was going on at the firehouse and just about on a daily basis riding by the firehouse. I guess I was a so called wacker at a young age. LMAO

------------------
              David DeCant
              Firefighter/NREMT-B
              New Jersey, USA
              Career or volunteer we are all brothers. Just feel good for the good you do for others.

Comment

Johnny and Roy and the Gang got me intrested also I was also inspired by my cousin who is a Firefighter with the LAFD down at 9's in the Skid Row section of the city. I am only the second person in my family to become a firefighter and only the third person from both sides of the my family to get involved in Emergency Services, Two Firefighters and One Police officer

------------------
                Tim Macias
                [email protected]
                Engine 101

Comment

When I was little we had a large grass fire on some property we had out of town. I remember the firemen letting me sit in the cabs of the firetrucks after it was over. My elementary school had a fire station on each side of it, for two different cities, and I later joined one of them. Also, my mom always read to me when I was little and I loved books about firemen like "Old No. 9" and "Sesame Street Fire Department". When my cousin joined his local VFD when I was in elementary school, that sealed the deal.

------------------
                  In Omnia Paratus

Comment

I stopped at our local fire hall to visit with my younger brother. He and some other volunteer firefighters were working on a van they were converting to an equipment hauler. They were installing the radios and I made the mistake of telling them how to do it easier. They said that if I was so smart that I could do it. I told them that I wasn't a firefighter so I couldn't do it. They told me that could be fixed. That was on Sunday. On Monday evening I got a call to come pick up my gear, I had just volunteered. That was in 1989. The rest is history.

Comment

Well, my best friend got me to join. We had been friends since middle school. played football together and did all the stupid stuff teenagers do. The day he turned 18 he joined. He tried to get me to join, but I told him it was stupid. Well after listening to him talk about all the fun he had for 1 year I finally gave up and told him "ok I'll join for a few weeks just to prove I tryed it then leave" Well I never left after the first call I fell in love with it. I never realised how good helping people would make me feel.That was in febuary of 99. Greg and I were at differnt stations, but we ran so many calls together We joke about joining each other's station. All that ended this last Nov,12 When Greg lost a year long battle with leukemia. Now I stay with the Fire dept for 2 reasons 1 for the love of the job, and in honor of my best friend and Brother.

------------------
                      Derek

Comment

Yeah, I kinda have the same old story, my Grandfather and Great Uncle were both Firefighters for the same department I am now, but that's not really what got me hooked.

My high school has a mentoring program, through which Seniors are able to take an hour from school and go work with people in the field they thought they were interested in. If you want to know if it works, 7 out of the last 10 mentor students are now firefighters for our department, two of the others are not on because of budget problems and one just didn't work out.

The program was a great experience for me, it gave me a real world chance too see what the job was all about. Plus it's a great opportunity for the department as well. They were able to get a look at me as a prospective employee, and it's great PR.

There is also the Explorer Program through the Boy Scouts of America. Don't judge it before you see it at work, the Scouting program is great in these arias, even if the person (male or female) isn't interested in the regular Scout stuff.

I f anybody is interested in knowing more about these programs, let me know

-FF D. Betka

Comment

What would a post like this be without a little mischief involved?
                          For the first, oh, seven years of my life, all I ever wanted was to be a surgen. You know, wear cool masks, fix people, make tons of money. My mother was, and still is a career RN, so I always grew up with the blood and gore stories. ( Grosses out my sister and father. SCORE!!) My father, on the other hand, is an engineer. No, not like Dilbert. Older, more like the Pointy Haired Boss, really.
                          Anyway, so I always wanted to be a surgeon, right? Well, then came the day I discovered this box of matches on the counter that I could now see over. Not being COMPLETLY stupid, I opened up our manual fireplace, and started to experiment. I would strike a match, watch it burn, blow it out, drop it, and light the next one. Went through a brand new pack of matches like this.
                          Then my folks came home. And I tell you guys, nothing compares to PO'd parents for a good, ole' fashioned *** chewin'.
                          However, this did not have quite the effect on me they had hoped for. I was fascinated listening to them describe what that one little match could do. Man, that was cool.
                          So, from then on, every chance I got, I would have a camp fire, or a fire in the fire place, or just go buy a lighter at the 7-11. Just to watch the way the Animal danced. Man, I could sit and watch that for hours. ( Okay, okay, I know, but who can honestly say that they don't have just a bit of pyromania? Especially FF's. Come on, be honest.)
                          As time wore on, I grew older, and I found out that there were not that many carrear tracks for an arsonist. But, there was this incrediable job were I would still be involved in fire, I would be able to be out in the World, and not stuck at a desk, and best of all, I could get paid to slide down a shiny brass pole.
                          So, here I am, a freshman getting a double degree in Fire Science, and then it's on to the Big BFD. Peace be with you all.

------------------
                          "I hate it when someone says something is impossible, because then I have to go and find a way to do it."
                          Stay safe, boys and girls. It's for keeps out there.

Comment

I, too, grew up in the station, but for a slightly different reason.

When I was 7 or 8, we moved to the suburbs (urban flight syndrome). We didn't even know we had a volunteer fire dept. Then one day, a pumper pulled off a side street in front of us while on the way to the store. They were returning from a call, and someone had left a complete SCBA on the tailboard.

Of course, first bump it fell off. My dad picked it up, followed them to the station, and gave it back. That's when he found out they were volunteer, and he joined the next week. For the rest of the story, see my post in the "what else have you dropped off the truck..." thread.

Comment

plain and simple my dad.he has been a member of my fire company for 38 years. he was the chief for 4 years. now i am the chief

Comment

Quite honestly I have no idea what got me started either. I barely knew that volunteer ff even existed. Can you believe that? My uncle was a volunteer with the same department that I am now, but I only found that out after the fact. If I had to really choose a reason, I would have to say that it's because of my GrandFather. He was a Fireman with the Airport here in Moncton. So I think that's why, or at least that's my reason.

Until next time.

------------------
                                Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X