Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What got You started in the Fireservice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got interested in firefighting because of my dad. I can remember in first grade my dad and I doing homework together because that is when he took his firefighter classes. In December I got to join our local vol. dept. Since then I have went through the required training courses and am loving every minute of the job. Now it's just deciding if I want to try to get on a full time dept. or not. I guess I have time to decide being I'm only 18.

Be Safe

[This message has been edited by firekid519 (edited September 20, 2000).]

Comment

I am a third generation firefighter myself. My grandfather is a retired career captain, and my father is due to retire in the next couple of years as a career assistant fire chief. He also served as a volunteer fire captain for over 20 years. I have seen an old photo of one of my mothers relatives holding a fire helmet, so I could be a fourth. Third definatly. I have been in the volunteer service since 1991 and absolutely love the service to my community. I have served with three different fire departments, one of which is an air service that runs to primarily stucture fires in Clinton County, New York. That was the best experience of my life, lot's of fire. I am currently a Lieut./ NREMT-B on Rollinsford Fire & Rescue. My brother is also a firefighter, volunteer and career. It's really a family affair as I have uncles that are in it as well. Great topic, I always love to hear how others got their start.

Take care, stay safe, and stay low.

Lt. M Spinney
      Rollinsford Fire & Rescue

Comment

Never thought about joining until my first house burnt to the ground! The Vol fire dept. did everything they could. Middle of the night, I was at work, was fully involved before neighbour noticed it.Was talking to the chief the next day. Joined right after finished rebuilding. Only regret was not joining sooner.

------------------

Comment

Im 16 yrs old, female & a Fire Explorer. I've wanted to be a firefighter for as long as i can remember. It started when i was around 3 i think and i was always in the hospital. dealt with bad asthma, many cases of pneumonia, and basically just being a kid. i was always getting injured, being a major klutz and daredevil (typical tomboy). i was so fascinated by the firemen who came to "save me" i knew thats what i wanted to do when i was older. when people asked what i wanted to be when i grew up the first word out of my mouth was "firefighter!" but who's gonna take a little kid seriously. then a few years ago i become more interested in the medical side. i have a fainting problem ( i faint all the time, no diagnosis made yet) so i basically spent the last 6 years in the back of an ambulance on the way to my second home, the hospital. thats when i got very interested in becoming a medic also. so im planning to become a Firefighter/Paramedic in the near future. =) i've been a Fire Explorer since 1998 and i love it so much. I definately know that im destined to be a FF/Medic.

------------------
          "STAND BACK 500 FEET"

Comment

A friend of mine got my brother involved and being that he is my big brother I wanted to get invovled also. Being a Firefighter is the best thing that you can give to your neighbors. That is a very big reason.

Comment

First of all, I would like to point out that I am not a firefighter. But being a firefighter is my childhood dream. Nobody had influence on me to join the fire services. I personally enjoy the life and work of a firefighter, this is because the fire service is the most respectable career (in my mind). All firefighters are highly-respected because they risk their life when saving others.

I have tried very hard in joining this career but it really broke my heart when I was notified by the department that I failed the interview (I have applied for a fire officer position four times, during the second time, I passed all the interview, due to some mishap, I was being rejected from joining the training course.)

God, would you please give a chance to me so that I can be a real firefighter!!!

Comment

My Dad would take me to his firehouse where he was a volunteer. I remember standing on the back step pretending to go to a fire. Also the firehouse had a brass pole that i would slide down.

Also there were the summer picnics and Christmas parties every year. Nearly every member who had sons at the time joined a soon as they turned 18, that is one way we got new members

Today I have 25 years in that fire company although I no longer live in that town. My Dad is going on 45 years

Comment

My grandmother lived next door to one of the fireman in town and ever scince I was a kid I wanted to be a fireman.

Comment

I got started when I was about six and caught the kitchen on fire, I never fought fire so hard in my life.

Then in high school my best friend's Dad and his partner were killed fighting an arson fire in Claremore Oklahoma and I thought this is what I need to do for Brad's dad and Brad. Now I cant think of anything I would rather do...

Comment

My Grandfather belonged to the Fire Co. and when the whistle would go off I would ride my bike down to the firehouse. They had a chalk board where they would write the address of the call. If it was close I would ride my bike down to watch. As I got older, my Grandfather didn't do very much with the Fire Co., and it wasn't until a good friend of the family asked me how old I was. I said I was 18. So down I went to fill out an application. Now look at the mess he got me into! I can't think of anything I love more. I've been doing it for 8 years now and plan to do it for many more!

------------------
                      Be safe everyone!

Comment

I'm a second generation firefighter. I got started when my father was a firefighter in the Air Force. I spent my younger years around lime green crash trucks and the red ones in my hometown and just never got rid of the bug. I've been a volunteer in my combination department a little over 2 years and I love every minute of it.

------------------
                        **The preceding comments in no way represent the views of my department, its members, or associations that it may belong to.**

Comment

I got involved the day i came hom from the hosptal after being born. Dad is a 24 yr vetern in the fie service I got into it changeing bottles and other stuff like that until Iu turned 16 and joined as a cadat. I am finshing up my probie strch to be a full time ff
                          2197 :cool

Comment

I can honestly say that it was a combination of watching Emergency! on television when I was a little kid and learning more about the field when I was involved with the Boy Scouts.

I have been a volunteer firefighter for almost 4 years now and am trying to get on a career department.

Main reason "Just like to help people in the community that I live in"

[This message has been edited by SRFD3114 (edited October 09, 2000).]

Comment

My grandfather was once the chief of his hometown volunteer department. My father was a cop. After heavy doses of "CHiPs" and "Emergency," I was destined to to be involved in some type of emergency service. However, it wasn't until I was covering the fire department as a reporter that I decided to get involved for real.

Comment

I have to admit it was probably the show Emergency that I watched as a kid.

Kristian

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X