This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC responds to another plane crash MCI

Not again, was my response when my sister called and told me to turn on the tv - another plane was down. This time, in my ambulance's response area.

I repeated the same 'routine' I went through on 9-11, running around, gettin on my uniform. But this time my wife and kids were home. As I left not knowing if this was a terrorist incident or accident, I gave my wife a kiss as she wiped away the tears, my son a hug, and my newborn daughter a soft touch on her resting head. Again, I pushed my car to it's limit in the twenty mile drive to my station, on B 72 & Amstel in Rockaway. It was an eerie ride.

People began showing up, and we took a bus to the scene. We helped triage about a dozen people or so, most were rescuers who were complaining of respiratory problems. At one point I walked up B 130st, right through the debris field. I remember walking on all kinds of stuff, and saw lots of clothing and sheets which I thought was from the homes that the plane had crashed into. Then I remember hearing a fire Lt. say, . . . 'just leave the bodies where they are, we'll deal with the removal later.' I had walked 20 - 40 ft. through all this debris, and then realized that we were on top of burnt bodies. Some were covered in sheets, some weren't. After I made it through to the other side, I looked back. I could not believe that a major jetliner had crashed in my units repsonse area (47B - sits at B 116 / Beach Channel Dr.), and that it was (for the most part) confined to a 6 house radius and a street corner. I looped down B 129 st, and saw the airplanes engine IFO the gas station, where i used to fill up my dad's pick up when I worked in construction w/ him, some 10 years ago in Rockaway, and couldn't believe their luck.

I met up w/ my partner at one point near the site, who is a volly in the Point Breeze VFD, in Breezy Point, and he told me his course of events. How they responded began stretching lines, and such. Some time later we were relesed and my partner came in to work. We were detailed back to stagging, and then to the morgue to assist w/ loading up the human remains into ambulances. Then I lost site of him, and found out that a friend of his was missing and that this guys house was struck. There were alot of ff's whose homes were spared by less than 20 ft. And the remains that were coming out from the 'crater', were literally piled on top of each other. Everything in the area reminded some rescue workers of the last major incident in NYC, the destruction, the smells, the optical overload - it was just on a much MUCH smaller scale.

Yesterday at work, I sat on my corner and was fortunate that it wasn't busy. My partner banged in emer. leave, and the guy I worked w/ yesterday said he lives at B 122 and Newport (he does, he had to use the bathroom and I drove him home). He spent alittle time telling me his course of events, how he was asleep in bed, heard a bus go by w/ sirens. Then a loud crash and rumble, but thought nothing of it until he began to hear the screams. Looked out his window, got dressed . . . . . . . . .

I know this post was long winded, . . . but I can be so at times ( ). I'd like to thank unionproud for his thoughts on my well being, and hope that NO ONE EVER AGAIN has to deal with the devestation that NYC has had to endure these past few months.

I've definately seen too much horror, in a short amount of time and will have some images burned into my memory that I have chosen not to share here, or with loved ones. Not out of being selfish, but out of restraint. I don't want others remembering things that they hadn't seen or experienced for themselves.

God bless all you guys (even the ones I don't agree with). We're all a part of a much larger family now.

Take care, be safe and if you come to my neck of the woods, say Nov. 27&28 for a service for a lost friend & ff from the WTC, I'll buy u a beer, give you a smoke, and a place to hang out with good people.

cya!

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]
    May God bless all the people and families who have lost
    their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
    [email protected]

toneloc177,

WORKED YESTERDAY SO I COULDNT GET TO A COMPUTER. GLAD TO HEAR YOUR OK AND NO ONE GOT TOO HURT. BIG FAT SLAP ON THE BACK FOR ALL WHO HAVE WORKED SO HARD OVER THE PAST MONTHS. I KNOW YOU ALL HAVE TO BE HURTING BUT YOU PUSH ON AND RESPOND TO YET ANOTHER DISASTER. THOUGHT AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND IF YOUR EVER IN THE MOTOR CITY I WILL BUY YOU AS MANY BEERS AS YOU CAN HANDLE. REMEMBER HEAD UP AND *** DOWN. LATER BRO
    Go raibh maith agat Go gcuire Dia an t-ádh ort! Dyfal donc a dyrr y garreg!!!!!

IN MEMORY OF THE "MOOSE" 1974-2002<br />Ni bheidh mo leitheid ar'ris ann.

Brothers till the end. "If they don't have GUINNESS in heaven we aint goin!"

Comment

thanks again. It's been real busy up here. we had the memorial service at the crash site last night. There was alot of everything going on there. We had about a total of like 20 pts - 16 of which RMA'd. All in all though, things there went pretty good. I had heard though that the families of the victims had some 'skirmishes' at the Ramada Inn near the airport (where most of the families are staying). Breakin windows, conflicts w/ police, etc. I think it's all starting to calm down now. Heard that this week (like thursday) the site will be a construction site, w/ construction crews cleaning up the rest of the debris and such.

Anyway, thanks again for your concerns. Be safe out there!
      May God bless all the people and families who have lost
      their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
      [email protected]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader