This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE: Stolen Flags

Some of you might remember a post I did on september 18th or so about a small problem we had. We put out 200 flags along our busy strip in town and called it "The Memorial Mile". The flags were put out by us and by the next morning, all but 3 were stolen. A week later a citizen saw someone selling them out of his trunk at the grocery store. He was not caught. Well, last shift, we got a new shipment of flags and did it again. We have over 300 flags out flappin in the wind all over town. About 220 are along the new "Memorial Mile" and I say 'about' beacause some are already missing. However, since the last stealing spree was so well published, the public is on high alert. A motorist saw someone jump out of his car and grab one yesterday and called the cops. They got his address and busted him. I hope he gets community service and has to come to the fire station to work out his sentence. Any suggestions on what we should make him do? I was thinking maybe sweep a little, wash a few trucks, maybe help do a little gardening, oh yea, and he would have to do it all with a flag rammed up his butt and his nether regions nailed to a 12x12 block of wood that he has to drag around between his legs. But maybe thats just cause Im a little upset right now, Im sure after I have had time to cool off I would consider making the block of wood 9x9 or even 8x8. But the main thing is that we got the flags back up and so far the majority are still standing.
    My comments posted here do not reflect the views of my department.

Even though it is tempting to wonder "why" someone would steal an American flag (at anytime, but especially now) but what would a 'good' reason be?
    This is just one of those times that you have to accept the fact that there are always going to be people in this world that 'just don't GET IT'...
    Look at the flag thieves as an opportunity to play up the image of honor and morals to your children. (I say 'your' children meaning OUR children)
    Consider it a cheap lesson and use it. "Oh my GOD kids! Can you IMAGINE someone actually STOLE the AMERICAN flag?"
    Somebody's parents did not show THEIR kid such a lesson. Look how HE turned out.
    These painful, unsettled times..these times of unpromised futures and broken life illusions can become the cemented bricks that will help build a generation of caring, dedicated and selfless citizens.
    Before Sept.11 most parents barely SAW their kids. They rushed them to daycare, then afterschool care and lessons and sports and on weekends they stuffed 'family time' with shopping sprees and fast food dining and capped it off with a movie watched in silence.
    Kids don't become thieves that steal American flags in the night because they are predisposed to a life of mindless crime due to small gene-pools.
    They grow-up to be heartless and empty because they were un-nurtured and and shuffled through their vulnerable youth instead of danced through those golden years by parents committed to preparing children to be a reflection of the BEST of a family unit.
    Sorry to rant, but at a time that I catch myself wondering how so MANY bad guys could do so MANY heartless things, I must have simply lost my own grip here.
    I believe children are born good. I don't know where they go wrong for the FIRST time but I know there are places we can step in and guide them back ontrack. But they won't stay there unless their parents promise to get more involved.
    Kids want our time. Until we are prepared to give that that...well, nail your flags down boys!
    Colleen McQuaid

Comment

My thats a twist I didnt expect to get from my post. I agree with you as long as you still believe that I should nail the flag thiefs nuts to a block of wood and make him drag it around behind him.

Comment

I remember the flags (US & NM) were stolen from the front of my Dad's station twice when I was a kid. He has the newspaper clippings in his scrapbook. I have always wondered, growing up, why anybody would do something like that. I would have to say you are right KP, like anything else, we have to teach our children right and wrong.
        To you Waterboy, I think hanging him by his toenails with sharp hooks and raising him up the flagpole for an hour would be a sufficient punishment. Oh and take a picture for the newspaper, I'm sure that the Flag thefts would stop.

BKE
        BKE
        Proud to be an American.

"No animals were used in the posting of this thread. Two sticks of bubble gum and a hulahoop yes, animals no..."

Comment

I dont think the toenail can support the full weight of a human body. You would have to get into the soft tissue for more support. I drove by it today and not one was missing. A few are kinda crooked and well probably go fix it tomorrow.

Comment

I had two flags in the plastic casing behind my license plate..not to mention that below my license plate is my firefighter plate...and someone stole one of them right off my truck!!! How is that for a slap in the face? I think these people should get fined, community service, and have their faces posted in the newspaper as "Unforgivable Americans". That might embarrass them enought to teach them that this is wrong. I was so ****ed when I realized that someone stole one of my flags from my truck...knowing I am a firefighter..knowing what our fire service has gone through recently..and knowing that I work a mere 35 minutes from NYC. People are sick and not much has changed in this country in the aftermath of 09-11-01..that is the lesson I learned from this.
            Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

Waterboy,
              Nail a block of wood to the flag thiefs nuts and then fly him from the flag pole. All the while holding an American flag and singing God Bless America!
              Shawn M. Cecula
              Firefighter
              IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse