This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Way..

Now I have heard it all a local news Station reported that the United Way has donated 8 million dollars to an organization that will be supporting the legal fee's for those arrested for a possible part in the recent acts of terriorism...In light of that news and a conversation with a FDNY Firefighter that I talked to, who basically said screw the United Way..That was not his quote no need to quote him.

I could puke..

FYI - I already knew better then to send any money to the United Way.. the money our Dept sent went to the Uniformed Firefighter's Assoc.

Screw the United Way!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOD Bless FDNY and all the lost Brother's

Dave
    HTFD
    FTM, PTB, EGH

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: FF.1205 ]

Ok man here it is, and you can find this out for yourself by asking a united way person and they will confirm. They have been pushing their crap on us here for years. You have to specify a certain charity to recieve the donations if not the money goes into a pool. if you just dropped money into a can at your local mall designated for the united way i could promise you it was not going to the fallen fire fighters families or any where near there. To get your united way money to go to a certain charity you have to fill out a paper designating the charity. so its that easy right?????? WRONG!!!!! In order for your money to go to that charity you have to donate a certain amount and it varies from state to state....if you dont your money is going swiming in the pool. So all of the money everyone donated to so called fire fighter relief funds i can promise you went to your local crack head or welfare case in the city that they chose. THEY PICK WHO THEY THINK NEEDS IT MOST. Also i forgot to mention their distribution fee.......YOU DONT EVEN WANT TO KNOW.
    Go raibh maith agat Go gcuire Dia an t-ádh ort! Dyfal donc a dyrr y garreg!!!!!

IN MEMORY OF THE "MOOSE" 1974-2002<br />Ni bheidh mo leitheid ar'ris ann.

Brothers till the end. "If they don't have GUINNESS in heaven we aint goin!"

Comment

The United Way give to organizations, not individuals.

One of the organizations that the United Way gave to provides legal help to people who can't afford it. Just so happens that some of the people they are giving legal advice to are terrorist suspects. They're also helping victims of the attacks.

This is America, and suspects are suposed to be presumed innocent until proven guilty, no?
      Bryan Beall
      Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Comment

Silver City 4,

You can see where this would leave a sour taste in everyones mouths though right.....give money MEANT TO GO TO the familes of fallen firefighters......free a suspected terroist. UGH A PUNCH RIGHT IN THE GUT

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: unionproud ]

Comment

Unfortunately, like everything else, you gotta do your homework...

I was recently approached at work to donate to United Way (aren't we all?) I wanted to make a contribution to the New York Firefighter's 9-11 Relief Fund which goes to benefit the UFA and UFOA Widows and Children's Funds. I asked if I could designate that fund specifically.
          Long story short, the United Way rep gave me a code to use that was supposed to send my money to this cause however, when I called the IAFF offices in Washington D.C. they said they didn't work with the United Way and that there was no designation code.

Someone probably figured terrorists needed the funds more than the families of our fallen brothers.

I'm now sending my check directly to the IAFF New York Firefighter's 9-11 Relief Fund,
          http://daily.iaff.org/fund.htm

and it'll be a cold day in hell before the United Way get's another buck from me.

Comment

could someone post a url to a news story about this? I would love to post a story about this on the bulletin board...but it's got to be a valid news source.
            ftm-ptb-rbp
            leather forever

Comment

Unionproud,

I'm with ya, brother. Money given for a specific reason to the United Way should be used for that purpose. I've got a real problem with how some of the charity groups are handling this whole deal. We (my wife and I) donate a portion of our checks to the United Way every pay period. I'm seriously considering not doing that any more, for several reasons.

That being said, I just wanted to make the point in my earlier remarks that the United Way isn't intentionally singling out these terror suspects to give them help...it just so happens that they gave a grant to a non-profit that, among other things, is giving legal advise to them.

I meant no disrespect to anyone.
              Bryan Beall

Comment

This is from the Neal Boortz website on Friday.

-----------------

GIVE TO THE TERRORIST OF YOUR CHOICE
                The National Legal and Policy Center says it is "a nonpartisan, nonprofit foundation monitoring union corruption and promoting ethics and accountability in government through research, education and legal action."  They claim that The September 11 Fund of the United Way of New York gave a grant of $171,000 to the Legal Aid Society.  The problem is that the Legal Aid Society is giving legal assistance to eight people detained in the investigation of the terrorist attacks.  In other words, money from the funds for victims might be used to defend some of the people who helped pull off the attacks.  Only in America. http://www.nlpc.org/media/2001/110801.htm http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.as...20011108e.html
                web page
                Bryan Beall

Comment

Silver City 4,

I know your with me bro, I had some dealings before with the united way and when you press them for answers on where your money goes they either get real upset or run you around in circles. I stick with charities that i know where the money goes, I have no doubt that the united way helps people but they dont help people according to who I think need it most. I dont think anyone took your answer as off the cuff or disrespectful, I know I didnt.

Comment

I'm done with United Way. Here's why: The United Way splits its money to all of the different organizations, right? Let's say the Boy Scouts of America gets a $20 million share. If I earmark my donation of $1000 to go to the BSA, they should receive $20 million plus $1000, right? WRONG! They reduce the BSA'a share by $1000. So the United Way can say (technically) that my money is going to the BSA when in reality, they're not giving them any "additional" funding. What a crock! I'll give my money directly to the organizations that I want to support from now on.

Comment

I had the pleasure of dealing with the united way recently while I was serving as a chairman of a subcommittee for Health & Safety programs for the local Red Cross. For years, we had offered First Aid and CPR classes at a reduced rate in order to draw bigger classes, train more people, and hopefully cultivate more support for the chapter. Well, the unitied way reared it's ugly head and sent us a letter DEMANDING that we do more to generate our own income and refusing to provide any additional support until we did this. With that threat, our hands were tied and we had to increase course fees. I was happy to see the end of my chairmanship since I have no use for the "tail wagging the dog" attitudes.

What the Red Cross did with the 9-11 funds was not the best, but it had good intentions. I feel that the united way does not have any intentions other than to line the pockets of their upper management!
                      Richard Nester
                      Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

THE UNITED WAY ARE A BUNCH OF SCAM ARTISTS. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU WERE ON A SCENE AT 3AM WORKING YOUR *** OFF AND SEEN THE UNITED WAY SHOW UP. OUR CITY MANAGER TOOK THE 9-11 TRADGEDY AS THE PERFECT OPPORTUNITY TO START HIS YEARLY UNITED WAY CAMPAIGN PITCH. NEEDLESS TO SAY HE IS A TOTAL "YOU FILL IN THE BLANK".
                        MY MONEY GOES TO THE SALVATION ARMY. THEY ARE THE ONES I SEE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT WITH DRINKS AND FOOD.

Comment

I for one am losing faith in all charities to put donated money where donors designate. On 9/12 I sent a "hefty" check to the IAFF thinking that for sure ALL the money would go to the widows and kids. I'm not sure that it will. I heard the IAFF International President tell O'Reilly on the "Factor"[Fox News] the other night that each fire family had received $10,000 each. That the IAFF had taken in $63,000,000.00 to date. 344 firefighters X $10,000. equalls $ 3.4 million. What is happening to the remaining almost $60,000,000.? Anybody know?
                          Thanks, Nozzlehog.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: ENG 6511 ]
                          Bob Compton
                          IACOJ-Proud
                          IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

Comment

Hmmm... on second thought maybe I'll just send that check to the UFA.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: NozzleHog ]

Comment

Not a flame, just a question:

Where have you sent donations following Sept 11?

I gave at a memorial for state firefighters and EMS to remember the fallen; and gave at a "fill the boot" coin drop in the town next door.

I'm feeling like the best place to send my donation these days, since I'm fairly certain it'll go to where it's headed, is to help the construction of a memorial statue on the grounds of the state Fire Training facility.

It's a sad, serious wake-up call when we're finding out what's happening "behind the scenes!"

stay safe,
                              Nik

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...