This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to call for help?

Right after the incidents on 9-11-01 occurred, many of us exercised restraint and used common sense by not running out to New York City and freelancing on the fireground. At least for me, I had assumed that when the time came that New York needed more hands, they would put out the call and I could then offer whatever help I could and volunteer to go there... as part of a coordinated effort.

With all the recent conflict between the city and their safety forces, I wish I knew how to get the word to the powers that be in New York City that they don't even need to pay for the manpower to clean up the debris AND see to it that they remove the bodies in a dignified manner.

How many of you on this forum are just like me? You want to go help, but you are just waiting to be asked. Just say the word New York City and I wouldn't be surprised to see a bucket brigade of a million volunteers in the fire service from around the world show up at ground zero. All you would need to do is supply the equipment to do the job and assign FDNY members to coordinate the scene and medical examiners to oversee the removal of remains. The Red Cross could open shelters with the releif monies that are in question to house and feed the volunteers... crews could be put together based on skills and locations to rotate the work force on a daily or weekly basis. We all have been trained in Incident Command just for a situation like this. Any firefighter can show up on such a scene, and very quickly learn their role, know who they answer to, and get right to work.

Worried about the dangerous conditions? Make a release form and I'll sign it. I am sure with that many firefighters, we can make the scene reasonably safe and I'll accept whatever risk we cannot eliminate.

How long will it take to finish the job if you had an almost unlimited supply of FREE manpower??? We realize it is New York's tragedy, but it is EVERYONE who was affected by it. Give us the chance to do our fair share to help fix it!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Count me in.

Comment

Like Bill Mirro of the UFFA, this is not just a NYC tragedy, our nation was attacked and our brothers and sisters were murdered.
      Count me in Richard! Let's Roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      See you on the big one
      Billy Reiter, 1st Lieutenant/Chaplain available 24 7

Comment

I went down to NYC when the County sent Ambulances and medics and when we got back we said as soon as they need us for anything we will go back. I agree that all NYC would have to do is say the word and they would have as much free manpower as they could use.
        Stay Safe and BRING THE BROTHERS HOME
        FDNY never will we forget

Comment

METAL VERY WELL PUT I ALONG WITH OTHERS FEEL THE SAME WAY.

Comment

I am with you guys! I am sure there are many more in Utah that would be there at a moments notice!

Stay safe,
            *Mark
            FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Comment

i think it`s an awesome idea and it just proves the worldwide brotherhood and how this tragidy brought us all together, but i don`t think they woould put out such a call for help.

Comment

I'd dig through the WTC rubble without a second thought! NYC would just have to say the word and ff's would flood the city!
                Probie Name: HurryUpMichelle!!

Comment

I know lots of firefighters from Atlantic Canada who would be there at a moments notice to help out.
                  "Life is not tried, it is merely survived, if you're standing outside the fire" - Garth Brooks

Comment

Say the word, I'm there.

Now that I've had a few moments to think, I just wanted to add.. I can understand the city being worried about safety and worker injuries. But like was said earlier, give ma waiver, I'll sign it-in blood if that's what it takes. I don't care about the city's money or responsibility of paying for whatever injuries I may receive doing this. All I want is to help bring my brothers home.

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: jedge168 ]
                    Jim Edge, Paramedic/Firefighter
                    Wilmington NC
                    [email protected]
                    In Memory and Honor of FDNY, NYPD, and NYC EMS 9/11/01

Comment

Works for me, just say when......
                      Guinness....a meal in a can!
                      IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Comment

They did ask for help. They asked us to come to New York and attend funerals. My local had a group up there attending services within three days. We've been up there ever since.

It's not glamorous and it's not glorious but it's what they asked us to do.

Comment

Originally posted by kippo:
                          They did ask for help. They asked us to come to New York and attend funerals. My local had a group up there attending services within three days. We've been up there ever since.

It's not glamorous and it's not glorious but it's what they asked us to do.
                          I realize that, and I commend you. My posting is in response to the City of New York wanting to limit the number of safety workers involved in the clean up in favor of allowing construction workers to do the job. The "riff" that caused the cancellation of the 11/18 memorial service.

The construction workers were "awarded" this job by bid, so the city is paying them to do this. My point is that we, as a united group of Brothers and Sisters, are willing and able to do the same job, probably faster, with an unlimited amount of manpower. The only costs would be for the FDNY members supervising the operation, the equipment needed, and the logisitical needs of the workers. This certainly would cost less than paying outside contractors to do the job, and it would leave the job where it belongs - WITH THE RESCUE WORKERS.

It would be my hope that such an effort by volunteers from around the world would calm the tensions between FDNY and the City of New York. FDNY would still be on the scene to remove their Brothers and Sisters, and we would not have to worry about a body being sent to a landfill in order to keep the job on schedule.
                          Richard Nester
                          Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

Just a dumb thought here, but after reading and watching the situation in NY over the past 2 weeks in regards to labor/management issues, can anyone actually believe that a bunch of volunteers (be they career or volunteer firefighters) would be accepted and welcomed to go to work at Ground Zero?

Read what the folks from Texas are doing by going to funerals and assisting families, thats help that really is appreciated.

While I know that every firefighter in the US and Canada would certainly help at the World Trade Center, this was a NY incident, there are NY firefighters buried and missing in the ruins, and the simplest issue here is that the FDNY firefighters want to recover their own people.

If we want to support them, the only thing we should be doing is to stand besides FDNY firefighters as they deliver this message. It is pretty simple.

A bunch of us (non-FDNY folks) will not help them by showing up ready to go to work. Those days are over, and this is a very emotional FDNY-only event.
                            Glenn Usdin, Fire Chief
                            Lancaster Township FD, PA

Comment

DITTO FOR ME!
                              A quote from Firefighter Timothy Stackpole, FDNY (borrowed from Bits & Pieces magazine)<br />"The greatest high you can get in life is by helping somebody."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X