This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on a drill

this tuesday I'm running a drill on salvage and overhaul and I would like to find some videos or something good to show and not just be a boring drill.please help

Do some salvage!... Have the members protect the station like they'd protect a building on fire. Cover an office, the day room, anything thats in the essentials book, but actually do it! I can't think of much more boring than a video on salvage, good luck!

Comment

pak-man,

AMEN to what Halligan84 said. I'm the training officer for my department and I can't think of a more boring subject to watch on video (except maybe for hose stretching, but that's a truckie way of looking at things).

Get out the salvage covers and practice the skill. Move stuff and cover it. For overhaul, find yourself a vacant house (or a house awaiting renovation/demolition) and "offer your services".

"Hands on" is the best training venue and it will keep your students interested. It will also provide your officers with a chance to practice their supervisory skills.

"Let's be careful out there"

Regards to all,
      Jim Boyle (aka 1261Truckie)

Comment

Hey Pak-Man,
        I agree, hands on is the only way to go! I've been a training officer in my department since 1990 and believe me when the lights go out to show a video so do your students. Ive had sucess at teaching students salvage in a number of ways. One is having them make a list of all the tools they may have to use for salvage and having them locate them on the apparatus. After they find them (which can take up a good chunk of time depending on who's there that shift) I have them explain what the tool can be used for,how to use it, any maintenance procedures, and in the case of power equipment (i.e. portable water pumps) how to start them,set them up,where the gas and oil go,etc.
        I also review all the basic salvage stuff out of the essentials manual.You know, the right way to fold tarps,how to make a catchall,how to make a chute,how to construct a stair runner,etc. I Write down each one of these tasks on a slip of paper and put them in a hat. I then have each FF draw a slip of paper. Whatevevr task they draw they have to complete,explaining each step they are taking. tahat way they actually become the "instructor" and it usually turns out to be a positive situation.
        After the students master the basic skills. I usually set up some type of scenario where they have to put it all together. The last one I did involved a garden hose hanging from the rafters of the truck room floor. the hose was turned on at a pretty steady rate. The students were instructed to somehow capture the mater and remove to the outside of the building(approx. 45' away). I gave themm no direction. They Constructed a chute using a ladder, tarp and pike poles. The chute diverted the water to a catchall. They set up a little electric pump in the catchall,attatched a garden hose, and the removed all the water to the outside. It doesn't really matter hoe it gets accomplished, the thing that I was looking for was how well they used the information given to them prior to the scenario.
        Hope this was of some help!!

Comment

Thanks everyone you really helped me out with this, these are some great ideas. Now I just need to find some overheads or something to show the step by step of folding and tarp stuff.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X