This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amkus, Hurst or something else

In our area, Amkus has become more prevalent than Hurst in recent years. Some departments are very set on Hurst's long standing service record. Others like the higher pressure, light weight systems of Amkus. I don't have any problems with Hurst, but I love the Amkus tool that our company carries.

Everyone has a different opinion, and I'm interested in the reasons why.

In my area, every department is different varying on the chief and their preferences. My department uses Homatro. I like them because of their light weight construction, and durability. We have the full set of tools, spreaders, rams, cutters, combi-tool, pedal cutter, porta-power, and hand pumps. They are are lighter than any other extrication tool I have used, and we have been using them for years. I have worked with Hurst before, and found them to be combersome, heavy, and take a lot more time to operate, and place into operation.

Comment

hurst all the way. we have the original set on our station back home that was bought in the 70`s and is still one of the best tools available.don`t get me wrong, i`ve been to some schools and have used other tools and i like holmatro`s tools but my preference is hurst.that`s also what we use at my current fire station.

Comment

Search through the "University of Extrication" forum on here. Use 'amkus', 'holmatro', or 'hurst' as keywords, for example.

They've been thoroughly discussed here.

My vote is for Amkus.

Comment

Check out TNT we did 5yrs. ago and everybody loves it.

Comment

Amkus

Comment

I'm a hurst man plain and simple, not going to argue about what may be better, I just like Hurst. Also Hurst is most prevelant in this area, in our county I know of only one agency that uses anything esle, and they use Holmatro. The new Hurst stuff is not any heavier than the others if you compare apples to apples, ie: 32" spreader to 32" spreader. not he Big old Hurst 32 compared to the small 20 something inch spreader of antoher manuf. BTW we still have the Big ol' 32 in front line service! Probably because we can't afford anything else, but hey it still gets the job done, the only failures I know of were power head problems, and one was with that antique 2 cycle power head that finally gave up and died!

Comment

American Rescue Tech - Genesis Tools are my choice.

Its a little different here in Northeast Wisconsin though, Mostly the Ambulance Services carry the tools and the fire dept members assist if needed (and trained). Mostly they either are gung ho and get in your way or stand back and dirrect traffic.

But back to the tools; Genesis by far is my tool of choice. They are more expensive though, so "lowest bidder depts" will usually never carry them. In side by side tests with TNT and Hurst they by far cut more and can do more. With the 180 cutter we cut the frame on a semi in half. it was also the only cutter that cut the A post on a school bus. they are in my opinion the best, and even though they are $$$ you get what you paid for.

to learn more see the web site: http://www.art4rescue.com/

also check out our site: http://rescue70.org/jaws.htm

------------------
                Barry Butrymowicz FF/EMT

The views expressed above in no way represent the views of Mountain Ambulance Service or Riverview Fire Department.

Remember if it is bleeding - bandage it, if it is on fire - put it out.
                and extricate when you have to.

Comment

Genesis is the Best. Also keep in mind NFPA 1936 testing. Why put a tool on a NFPA compliant Rig that didnt pass the tests.

Comment

There is a lot of Hurst over here but TNT is getting more popular. We went to TNT due to faster speed, $, to get away from that HURST oil as well as the hyd. hose set-up at the junction boxes. We have no regrets.

Comment

Our station is all Hurst. Has been a great tool in the past......

Comment

TNT all the way -- we replaced our Hurst tools with TNT last December. The tools are lighter, faster, and more powerful than anything Hurst could put on the market.

I think one of the best parts about TNT tools is their simo-pumps... It really is 2 pumps off one engine... Try to spread and cut at the same time with any other manufacturers tools, and you'll notice that they slow down when both tools are operating. Not the case with TNT tools. And for those of you not fortunate to see the C-25 Cobra or the S-100-41 from TNT... contact your local distributor for a demonstration.

Comment

We have a combination system with Hurst and Phoenix, using the Phoenix oil. Phoenix has a true simo-pump like TNT's. We didn't like the Hurst combo tool and by going to Phoenix we got a combo tool that we liked and could make the two systems work with each other. Yes, I know that Hurst says you can't do this, but we have had no problems.

Comment

I do like the fact that the Amkus cutter can be used on case hardened steel, unlike the Hurst O-cutter.

Comment

I have worked Hurst, Amkus, Porter Fergusun and Holmatro. The Holmatro is lighter weight and just a powerfull as any of the others. Its the slickest one runnning these days in my opinion.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X