X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAFF really screwed up

Quoted from Firehouse.com:

But a terse statement from the FDNY blamed the union for allowing politics to play a role in the announcement. The Department said it asked for the postponement due to concern for the families, not the events at Ground Zero over the past week.

"[The announcement] clearly shows that the absolute last priority of this union (the IAFF) is the families who are involved," the statement said. "We asked the union to postpone the event because a majority of the families let us know they clearly thought it was too soon to have a memorial service. Instead, the unions use it as an excuse to inflame and misinform once again. They should be ashamed of themelves."

...Close quote...

I am IAFF and we do great things here in our Local (2148). Yet, I really wonder about our International. Of all the times in history to be plugging politics into things! How quickly they forget the images that brought us all closer together on 9-11. I am disgusted with their slant on things. The people who incurred the loss requested the postponement. The IAFF would have the public believe that this is because of unresolved issues with the Mayor.

This whole mish-mash is just percolating into a big stinky mess.

My heartfelt condolences to those left behind. My hope is that we can provide the support needed where needed and not stoop to the IAFF level of response.

C Jensen
    PM/FF

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: BATT66RED ]

Comment

you read the IAFF statement...just what part do you have a problem with?

Comment

I'm with you, CJ. There's something wrong with our International. Those of us who spend hundreds of hours per year trying to keep our local strong are starting to wonder why so many of those hours are spent defending the IAFF. If Al Whitehead was still up there this would have been handled better.

Comment

Well put Craig!
          FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Comment

While I am not normally an IAFF apologist (although a proud member for nearly 30 years), you need to remember the history of the UFA and the IAFF. The per-capita amount the UFA pays to the International is probably about $50-60,000 per month, with the UFOA adding another $20,000 or so. The numbers are not exact, but probably close. That is a pretty good chunk of change.

It was an embarassment to the IAFF when the UFA left the International years ago. Al Whitehead and Vinnie Bollon were instrumental in getting UFA back into the fold. Many of the Jersey departments still do not belong to the IAFF, for a variety of reasons.

Harold Schaitberger is a savvy politician, and Vinnie Bollon is a very sharp guy and a past UFOA President. I think it is very unlikely that the IAFF is doing anything contrary to the wishes of Kevin Gallagher and Pete Gorman.

Comment

PLEASE DO NOT BLAME THE IAFF. The IAFF has been in my firehouse from DAY 1....
              We have only buried 1 of our 11 members of the CAVE. I feel sorry for my 10 other families that we have not found their bodies. I feel sorry we have to drag them to Memorial's all over….Because most are NOT ready and the one’s that are, are in support of the others.

ENGINE 40 LADDER 35 THE CAVEMEN wish to THANK THE IAFF FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT...WE ARE PROUD TO SAY WE ARE MEMBERS
              ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
              NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
              CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
              LT. John Ginley Engine 40
              FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
              FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
              FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
              FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
              FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
              FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
              FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
              FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
              FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
              "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
              *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

E40FDNYL35

Wow...your loss is heavy. I cannot imagine in one company......

I have been reading more and more about many of the 'angles' involved in memorial plans. There is so much more involved in all this that those of us so far away cannot really grasp. I was initially angry at IAFF, saddened at the cancellation. I am just plain sad now. The more I read about it all, the more I feel for the families left behind.

As for myself, I know I will not be able to attend any future memorial. Knowing this, all I can do is express my sincere support to E40FDNYL35 and others like him. I only wish I could stand before you and tell you face to face.

Comment

Politics are alive and well from the International through the offices of the mayor. Many individual Firefighters have already booked flights, hotels, taken vacation time, etc. and now they are being asked to sacrifice it. We could of had the Memorial without it being for the Mayor or the Commissioner; after all, I think we are smart enough to know that it was for our fallen brothers. Maybe someone shouldn't have been so hasty in announcing a Memorial in the first place. I've always mistrusted the politics of government, right now I'm disappointed in the politics of the IAFF leadership. (a 29 year member)

Comment

Since the FDNY has put out a statement saying that the IAFF is the bad guy aren't they just as guilty of starting and or fueling a political rivalry? The IAFF is a partner in the organization of this service not the dictator you guys have made them out to be. Oh ya, I hope when your in need of the Internationals assistance for a loan to take on your municipal government on a union issue (e.g. Wrongful dismissal, Health and safety issues, contract negotiations) or for legal advice or assistance that you make sure you tell them before you go asking for their support that you bash them when the decisions they make aren't in your best interests!!

Comment

By taking this stance, and releasing the policitcally charged statement, the IAFF has turned the cancelled memorial service and any future memorial service into a union political event.

I had originally wondered about the service being so soon, but now any service will be linked to this bickering between NYC and IAFF. Its a shame.
                      The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Comment

I hope we're not confusing the IAFF leadership with the IAFF. I am the IAFF. Most of the posts I have read here are from the IAFF. The IAFF leadership made some mistakes here. Cancelling the memorial wasn't the problem--that was the right thing to do. Scheduling a mass memorial before the recovery effort is complete was a mistake and the leadership of the IAFF made it. My local was in close contact with some of them while it was being planned. The story they told us was that they had been handed the baton and they were in charge. They ran down a bunch of reasons for why we had to have it right away. None of them had anything to do with the wishes of the families or the surviving fire fighters. We also heard about all of their problems--the tight timeline made it difficult to find a venue, they were concerned about the availability of transportation, would the president be able to free up enough time to come--all of which made me think the focus was in the wrong place.

I make mistakes; my people make mistakes. Honorable people admit their mistakes and try not to repeat them. Those who can't shouldn't be leading the IAFF.

Comment

I understand the reasons for cancellation but I'm still disappointed that it is postponed.
                          I'm still planning to fly in from Canada. If only to visit a firehall, say a prayer at Ground Zero, or possibly attend a funeral service. Perhaps some folks have lost sight of purpose, due to politics. Wasn't the idea to show support for the fallen, support for the FDNY, and some much-needed economic & moral support to New York City at this time?
                          I'm curious how many others also still intend to go?
                          Cheers,
                          Freddy K.
                          FTM-PTB-EGH

Comment

I hope the International doesn't screw up the distribution of the "FUND" to the Widows and Kids some of us gave big time too. I heard the IAFF President tell O'Rielly that they have dispersed $ 10,000.00 to each family to date. That's $4.4 million. Where is the other $60 million going? Anybody know?
                            Bob Compton
                            IACOJ-Proud
                            IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse