Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I sit here tonight, reading these replies I just wanted to reiterate and say a couple of things. I am not IAFF or understand the politics of the situation. I am an Assitant Chief of a paid-on-call Department who only wants to make these comments. Please remember that whatever inconveince you may have incurred you can stil go home and hug your kids and wife. I have recently started a new job, and knew that there was no way I could attend the memorial service for the greatest occupation in the world. I most certainly hope to attend once the date is annouced after the new year. So I think the firefighting community begs of you who have traded or taken time off or whatever sacrafice you have made think of those who DID make the ultimate one, and go to NY this weekend and support those you can. May all of us return home safley from our next alarm, wherever that may be. Thank you all for listening.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

To those people who seem to think they have wasted money on non refundable tickets. Please go to NY. Make sure you hit a few of the funerals that are not being populated by fire fighters. from what i can find, there's 4 to 5 a day. Oh, if you go on the week end there twice as many. I bet they could use a few bagpipe players too. If I had the opportunity to go there, I would to to ground zero and take a look around just to Re appreciate the enormity of the whole event, and remember how many PEOPLE are still inside there. Not JUST fire fighters.
      Did you think you were going to be inside the memorial at madison square garden? Not really a chance of that. It was for the familys and fire fighters.
      I guess, what im trying to say is...... If you've allready got the tickets... GO. Go and see. Go to funeral of a brother.(Theres probably more than you can handle). Meet that mans wife and kids and see if you dont go away from that experience a changed person. The official NYFD website states there is really a need for people to go to the individual funerals. THAT IS NOT A WASTE OF MONEY.
      If you BUTT holes are whining simply because you can not be a part of the biggest parade for the largest loss of fire fighting brothers in one single incident EVER. (Wich is what i really think) Dont Blame the IAFF.

My name is Jeff Hendricks. I support the IAFF. I support the NYFD. I dare you all with the Non refundable tickets to go any way and attend A funeral. If any of you do this. It would likely be a more profound experience.

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: BATT66RED ]

Comment

It saddens me that it has come to this.

I am not going to take sides as it will serve no purpose. Whatever the differences are between the involved groups should have been shelved for the upcoming service. As if the other day in NY wasn't enough, now we all have have to try to explain to the public why we can't even come together to honor our dead. Was it really that important to use this issue to make a political statement? Shame on everyone involved.

I am 3000 miles away from NY. I did not personally know any of those lost. Yet, I want to do my part to pay tribute to them.

I am keeping my schedule as planned. I will attend the services on Saturday and Monday that I had already planned to go to. I looked forward to them much more anyway. I hope everyone that was coming to NY follows through with there plans. At least we will be able to honor some of the dead.

If and when the "official" service is ever offered, many who were going on 11/18 will not attend as they will wonder if it will be cancelled again.

I wish everyone could step back from the canvas long enough to realize that you are not enemies. Sure, things could have been handled differently regarding required personel at Ground Zero, BUT, here we are.. are we going to let this destroy us or learn and move on.

I don't know anything about the City/FD relations in NY but, based on what I see and read, I honestly do not think the Mayor is against you. Hasn't he been supportive of FDNY for years? His job, although different, is difficult also.

Comment

Bravo Lyle, well said!

Can't we all just get along?

Let's not bicker about this. For those of you who have the tickets and the reservations, go honor the brothers and their families. Make your own statement that WE are not forgetting them, regardless of the problems that the union and the city are having.

Support the families, they need it the most.
          Guinness....a meal in a can!
          IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Comment

To all you guys bashing the union and making a big stink about the postponement and who's responsible for it, go back and read the announcements again - the bottom line is, the FDNY and the families of the fallen wanted the service postponed - we should respect their wishes. Why the IAFF chose to put a politcal 'spin' to their reasons for the postponement is beyond me. I totally agree with E229lt and FRED - don't forget what the memorial service is really about. It's unfortunate that some person or persons may have scheduled this too soon and now have realized that, but let's not use that for an excuse to fan the flames of internal bickering. I wasn't going to be able to attend the memorial due to a family commitment that weekend, but now maybe I will be able to attend when the service is re-scheduled. If I HAD purchased a non-refundable ticket for next weekend, I would probably go to NY anyway and attend some of the memorial services. (As someone else pointed out, that might even be more rewarding and meaningful than being a spectator/participant in a HUGE service).

Please, remember our brothers in NY and let's respect their wishes and do what we can to honor them in the best way possible - whenever that might be. As 'loo' said, there's a lot more going on here than most of us can begin to fathom.
            An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Comment

I just got back from Kevin Brackens Engine 40 Memorial Mass at St.Pat's. and saw this post.

First off…….THANK YOU TO ALL MY BROTHER who came out for the Bracken Family and Engine 40 Ladder 35. I saw Brothers from California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Florida, Illinois, Texas, Iowa, Alaska, Vermont, Washington St., Washington D.C., London, Germany, Up-State New York, and Long Island, and if I missed one please let me know BROTHERS. BECAUSE WE WANT TO THANK YOU!!!! With out your out pouring of you BROTHERHOOD I don’t know what we (Engine 40 Ladder35), would do.
              As I go to Memorial after Memorial and from Funeral too Funeral I see my BROTHERS from ALL OVER THE WORLD. THANK YOU AGAIN.

NOW no_name FF ……. MY NAME IS RAY PFEIFER ENGINE 40 you said “I feel sorry for everyone with a non-refundable ticket to NYC. Guess the IAFF wants to play politics more than they want to honor their brothers.”

POLITICS ARE YOU KIDDING ME …… WAKE THE **** UP!!!!!
              I have only buried 1 of our 11 members of the CAVE. I feel sorry for my 10 other families that we have not found their bodies. I feel sorry we have to drag them to Memorial's all over….Because most are not ready and the one’s that are, are in support of the others. If you have a problem with cash come to my firehouse 131 Amsterdam Ave. and I’ll give it to you….
              If the other BROTHERS want to come in for a Memorial or a Funeral that week we can use your HELP to HONOR THEM……
              Sorry I went off here…..
              And now I have to get ready to go to Capt.Patty Browns Memorial
              ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
              NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
              CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
              LT. John Ginley Engine 40
              FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
              FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
              FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
              FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
              FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
              FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
              FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
              FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
              FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
              "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
              *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

Sorry one more thing here...
                ENGINE 40 LADDER 35 THE CAVEMEN wish to THANK THE IAFF FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT...WE ARE PROUD TO SAY WE ARE MEMBERS
                ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
                NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
                LT. John Ginley Engine 40
                FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
                FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
                FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
                FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
                FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
                FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
                FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
                FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
                FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
                "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
                *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

I was and am still planning to go to this service whenever they have it, even if it is snowing and 20 below zero. Politics aside, we should take the time to honor and remember our Brothers who went in with no concern for their safety to help others in need just like we would do. We should not be bickering and fighting amongst ourselves. We should remember and honor our Brothers of the FDNY and focus our aggression at the people who murdered our Brothers and the citizens of New York and DC not at each other..

Stay Safe

Rick

these are my own opinions......
                  Rick
                  Ladder 1
                  Farmington NH

Comment

Originally posted by LT13:
                    It's unfortunate that it is turning out this way. Hopefuly cooler heads will prevail and things will get better. As for your comment NO NAME FF get a life, this is not the time or the place to have a ****ing match with the IAFF even an uninformed moron could figure out that it was not the IAFF that wanted to cut back the recovery effort. Keep your BS comments for other topics. Yes, and this is coming from a FF that is not part of the IAFF.
                    I wish you guys could make up your mind, was it cancelled because it was too soon for the widows or because you are ****ed at Giuliani?
                    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Comment

FOR THOSE WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT THERE LOST TICKETS, GET ON THE PLANE AND GO OUT AND MARCH WITH OUR BROTHERS. WE NEED TO MAKE THE PUBLIC AWARE THAT ALL THE TALK ABOUT HOW WE SHOULD CARE FOR OUR FIREFIGHTERS WILL IN A SHORT TIME FADE AND WE WILL BE, LIKE ALWAYS BE FIGHTIN FOR OUR RIGHTS.

Comment

I understand the frustration of all the guys who spent money and made arrangements to go to the service. 10 of 70 FFs in my dept were flying out, and I was going to cover for one of them so he could go. However, this inconvenience pales in comparison to the situation.
                        After the events of the last week, how could the rank and file of the FDNY, all those families and friends, and our Union officials, sit at a memorial service with the City Administration that won't let them recover the remains of their missing Brothers?
                        As for politics, the service was scheduled before the manpower cutbacks at the site. Who could have guessed that things would turn so ugly?
                        I think that so many of us are so desperate to do something, ANYTHING, to support the FDNY that WE forced the scheduling of this thing too soon.
                        All the guys with prepaid arrangements, please go to the individual funerals. That is where your Brothers need you.

Comment

Sept. 11. I'm in shock, dibelief. I felt like a lost child would upon realizing that his parents are no longer in sight. A week later I'm ****ed. I've served my country for nearly 20 years Military and 9 as a Firefighter now and I NEED to do something to help my brothers. Firefighters aren't supposed to just sit still. I feel helpless,useless. I needed this Memorial for my own personal closure. But until my brothers families are ready for theirs I'll do as I've always done. I'll be here for them. It's the only thing within my powers.
                          Ivan

Comment

First off Let me say this, I am a unionized Firefighter from Canada, and a proud member of the IAFF. Remember if you were hired into an unionized dept then maybe you need to keep that in your head. Look at what we would have without the IAFF. You may not like some of the IAFF opinions but you gotta stand united as a member always. Don't want to, then get out. I along with 29 other members of my dept have non-refundable tickets and the whole lot, "we are still going" there are plenty of funerals that still the brothers support. Stop bitching about the small stuff, and do the right thing. Be there as a BROTHER it is very simple to do. Fraternally a Brother from BC, Canada

Comment

Like most others, I was disappointed by the postponing of the memorial. Like over 100 others from my Department, I have purchased my airline tickets (non-refundable) and my hotel room in NYC. I certainly am upset by the inconvenience of the re-scheduling of the memorial. I do, however, stand behind the IAFF and their decision. I'm outraged that the city leaders of NYC have renegged on their promise to recover all of the bodies of the Firefighters and rescue workers. I will continue to go on my schedule trip and will honor the memory of the firefighers by attending the services that are scheduled while I'm there. I will also attend the unified memorial when it is rescheduled. All of us in this profession make enough money to be able to afford the cheap airfare, and while it is frustrating to have it rescheduled, it is more important that we stay united together and don't let our membership be divided by the terrorist actions which started all of this mess. God bless all my brothers and sisters out there. See ya in NYC.

Comment

You know, it seems like every time we in fire/rescue come up against a situation we cannot control we end up bashing each other. I have been in EMS for 15 years and still haven't figured that one out!

It seems to me that, regardless of any other possible motives, if the families and FDNY are not ready, the service needs to be postponed.

If already you've got tickets, go! As has been stated several times, they need uniformed personnel to attend the services scheduled.

Since there seems to be quite a few people in that boat, why not hold an informal memorial? Not a protest, just a show of support in their loss. Get everyone together and show them that we're here for them now, and will be there when they are ready. This is definitely not a time for politics!

This seems like a perfectly good forum to coordinate a meeting point. Just a thought.

God bless and watch over us all.

D/C Cindy Ramsey, EMT-Pnot

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...