Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Trade Center Wakes, Funerals & Memorial Services for Saturday 11/17/01

Battalion Chief Joseph Grzelak - Battalion 48 - Memorial Visitation/Service

Firefighter Eric Olsen - Ladder 15 - Memorial Service

Firefighter Leonard Ragaglia - Engine 54 - Memorial Service

Lieutenant Robert Nagel - Engine 58 - Memorial Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Battalion Chief
    Joseph Grzelak
    Battalion 48

Memorial Service

1000 hours
    Saturday, November 17, 2001

Saint Roch's Church
    602 Port Richmond Ave.
    Staten Island, New York
    (718) 442-4755

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firefighter
    Eric Olsen
    Ladder 15

Memorial Service

1030 hours

Messiah Lutheran Church
    195 Jefferson Blvd.
    Staten Island, NY 10312
    (718) 356-1050-52

Firefighter
    Leonard Ragaglia
    Engine 54

Memorial Service

1100 hours
    Blessed Sacrament Church
    1091 Forest Avenue
    Staten Island, New York 10310
    (718) 442-1581

Lieutenant
    Robert Nagel
    Engine 58

Memorial Service

1100 hours

St. Monica's Church
    413 East 79th St.
    (bet York & 1st Ave.)
    New York, NY
    (212) 288-6250
    Steve Monrad
    FF-PM
    City of Anacortes, WA
    IAFF Local 1537

Comment

Hey No_Name,
      This Christmas there will be over 300 FDNY widows and children without fathers sitting around the tree opening up presents. If there is still enough room due to your head being buried so far up it, why don't you shove those airline tickets right up your ***!!!
      Union Yes!!!- L-1395

Comment

I completely support my fellow firefighters in FDNY in their fight for our fallen brothers and if I have to change my plans a 100 times then I will do so. Each firefighter who was lost at the WTC deserves and should except no less than to be brought home by their brothers no matter how long it takes.
        and YES this is from a ROOKIE

Comment

I HOPE THEY RE-THINK THIS, WE ALL WANT TO COME AND SHOW OUR SUPPORT!
          I KNOW THAT EVERYONE MUST BE VERY UPSET ABOUT THIS, I FOR ONE WAS VERY PROUD TO BE
          COMING TO NY AND STAND SIDE BY SIDE WITH
          FIREFIGHTERS FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY IN A DAY SET ASIDE FOR HEALING AND REFLECTION.
          I HOPE THAT AS QUICK AND WITHOUT NOTICE
          THAT THIS WAS CANCELLED IT WILL BE REINSTATED. MAYBE WE SHOULD NOT CANCEL OUR
          PLANS JUST YET. ALSO I HOPE THAT POLITICS
          ARE PLAYING NO PART IN THIS.
          DINO T

Comment

Originally posted by georgia_ff243:

Hey Brother, I'm a union guy and am out hundreds of dollars along with my coworkers that were planning to honor our fallen brothers. The union IS responsible for this fiasco and should make retributions to everyone who lost money as a result of their rash judgement. Classic union move.
            Hey Brother, why don't you go anyway? Then your New York vacation won't be a total loss. I know there are some funerals and memorial services that will be held during your stay, why don't you pay your respects there instead?

The memorial is NOT about you, it's about the brothers and their families. Try to remember that.

If you don't like the union, quit!
            Living the dream...

Comment

I don't care about the money our department spent to fly three of us to New York. I think that the IAFF President has missed the whole purpose of the Memorial service. It is not there for him, it is not there to honor the Mayor or the Fire Commisioner. The Memorial is there for us to honor the memory of those that have fallen. All politics should be pushed aside and we should all stand together to show our respect to the memory and to the family of those that have fallen.

Comment

It's unfortunate that it is turning out this way. Hopefuly cooler heads will prevail and things will get better. As for your comment NO NAME FF get a life, this is not the time or the place to have a ****ing match with the IAFF even an uninformed moron could figure out that it was not the IAFF that wanted to cut back the recovery effort. Keep your BS comments for other topics. Yes, and this is coming from a FF that is not part of the IAFF.

Comment

wow... There seems to be a lot of emotion here, but there really is way more than 2 ways to see things. I think one of the biggest things we need to ask here is do the families really need more time, an if so then give it to them. This is one of the most important factors, but traditionally these types of services are held within a week or two and two months is an awful long time, at this rate why not just do it on the one year anniversary. I think that the way that this has been handled by the union however is in poor judgment, causing a lot of members to be bitter and feel used and disregarded. There are others outside of the New York City limits who have been emotionally affected by this and have been awaiting this service not for a VACATION as others have insultingly put it but as a healing event. In retrospect I am disappointed in the fighting going on out there and it is embarrassing as a professional, and to those who have airline tickets, they will work for you for a fee of $100, so I say that we show our respect at the services for the guys on the 17th and 19th.

Comment

First I would like to say that my prayers remain with the firefighters of New York and the families of those lost. I feel that it is a shame that the memorial service has been canceled for whatever reason. If the only reason for the cancellation was for respect of the wishes of family members I can appreciate that. However I cannot help but feel that this was more politically motivated. Several firefighters from our department have purchased non-refundable tickets including myself. As we are all aware public safety personnel do not have large amounts of disposable income to waste. I know firefighters who have purchased tickets and class a uniforms(because the IAFF web site said they had to have it to participate) just for this occasion alone. They have done this to pay respect to their brothers even though they cannot afford it. I have been a firefighter for over 20 years and in the past have been a member of the IAFF. I will not go into what the IAFF has or has not done in the past because this is not what this post is about. If the wishes of the families were such WHY did the IAFF pursue promoting the memorial?

Comment

Typical politics say one thing and do another..Mayor in Sept comments that we in NY are committed to the fact that we are going to dig down to the last brick to recover everyone. Yeah right just another F***** MUTT!!!!.. He comments safety as an issue is BS just an excuse because he sure didn't pull the FF's out on Sept 12 did he hell NO! That wouldn't have worked even if he tried. That excuse of his is a joke. Enough said. Now the real question for me is why a Memorial Service for FF' when the job isn't even done in recovering our Brother's. My belief and that is a Memorial Service is a stepping stone in the recovery process after the everything is over whether it be an act of war or act of terriorism. I see the latest actions by Mayor's office as a dollar issue....Disgusting and honestly it wants to make me cry. It makes no difference to make the pain staking piece by piece removal there or the piece by piece investigation the Feds are doing miles away. I support the Brother's from FDNY and that all of my Brother's lost deserve everything we have to bring them home to thier families PERIOD..We owe it to them.

GOD Bless FDNY and all of the lost Brother's.

Dave
                      HTFD
                      FTM PTB EGH RFB

Just 2 more cents worth, nevermind the union issue of who cancelled what because I certainly hope that that Brother and Sister's out there haven't already forgotten the real issue. We still have Brother's buried there and families that want them brought home.

Comment

Personaly I hate parades. I think people are losing sight of what this memorial service is all about. This isn't about a vacation or being on TV, remember wakes are for the living. All politics aside, if the NYFD and family are not ready,and I can't see how they are just yet. The news reports seem to justify this, then we don't go. I wanted to go on the 11th just as I wanted to go on the 18th. I'll go when they're ready.

Comment

I am a simple FF/Paramedic. If I were in the same situation as the FDNY, and I was digging to get the guys & gals from my fire department out to be able to bury them and give thier families peace of mind, & someone (I wouldn't care who) said I could no longer do it, I would have to tap on some teeth or some heads whatever I could reach. I would not be able to attend a memorial or reccommend that it take place no matter how many people are put out.My friends are in a dirty dark hole & we need to get them home to say good-bye, and give them the respect we would want given to us. Please don't leave them there, & don't leave me there if the tables are turned....Honor them like you said you would, be there when the time comes, but don't leave them in that hell hole!!!!!!

Comment

I was trying hard not to get emotional about this entire topic but it hard to after reading some of these comments. TO my fellow union brothers and sisters. Support the choices made by the FDNY Locals and the International. Be there when you can. If you can't go when they do have it, you WILL be represented by all of us. The families that lost a loved one will know your thoughts are with them.
                            To all other firefighters. This is not a union vs. volunteer fight. This is a time for us all to be firefighers!! We have to stand together. We ARE the ones that the kids want to be like. We are the ones that when you go down the street in the trucks all the people look at us with comfort knowing that we are there to protect them. Have you noticed the difference in the way people look at you since that awfull day? Thank them for there support modestly and go to work. Lets not give the people something negative to say about us. Be proud of yourselves for colecting MILLIONS of dollars to take care of these families.
                            One more thing and i will get off my soap box. The money that some of you have "wasted" on tickets, hotels, and what ever else. Think of this. You are out a few hundred dollars and i know that is a lot of money for some people including myself. Think of this though. Sons and daughter with no father or mother at home on Christmas morning. There is a city that has lost over 300 of there Bravest. So you don't get to go out a few nights, you cant take a weekend this winter with your husband or wife. At least you will be with them at home !!!!

Comment

My local has been sending groups of fire fighters to FDNY funerals continuously beginning the week after the WTC attack. I've asked each fire fighter we sent to look for other ways we could help and try to get information on the memorial service so that we could make plans. I debriefed everybody when they came back. The story I got from all of our guys was that the New York fire fighters they talked to said that they didn't want to talk about a memorial service until the last body was recovered. They were still telling us that when the IAFF announced Nov. 18 as the date.

I agree that the families and the fire fighters in New York weren't ready. The sad thing is that all you had to do to find that out was to ask the fire fighters and the families. I was 2000 miles away and I knew it was too soon. If this was supposed to be about the families and the fire fighters of New York, why didn't anybody listen to what they wanted? Why November 18? It's the weekend before Thanksgiving during the busiest travel period of the year. Why not wait until we get them all out even if it takes a year? Why drop a huge event on top of all of the raw emotions, tension and exhaustion?

Cancelling the memorial was the right thing to do under the circumstances. What I'm trying to understand is why it was scheduled this soon to begin with. I'm not sure that it has anything to do with the families of the fire fighters who died or the surviving fire fighters of FDNY. What's the rush? Why not wait until they're all out?

When something doesn't make sense its usually because you don't have all of the information. It looks to me like that is what is happening here. I think there are some folks involved with this that would like to keep the focus on placing blame for the cancellation and off of the reasoning behind scheduling the memorial this soon to start with.

Like everybody else, we offered FDNY all of our resources from the first day forward. All they ever asked us to do was send fire fighters to funerals. Three days later we had people attending funerals and we have had a contingent up there every day since. We'll keep sending them until we run out of money or run out of funerals because that is what the people who really matter in all of this asked us to do.

I'd love to be wrong here, but, whether it was collective bargaining, local NYC politics or somebody having TIA's, there was more behind the planning of this memorial service than the wishes of the families and the fire fighters. That must never happen again.

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: kippo ]

Comment

Respect the FDNY Brothers' wishes,whether it was a political thing to protest the recovery process or to give the families time or they wanted to wait to all of the brothers have been recovered. Remember WE are the IAFF. Let's stand strong and suck up your problems of tickets and time off, at least you saw your family today! A group of us went to NYC for funerals and memorials and we went for the families and that's it! And that's what it's all about. The Families of the 343 dads,husbands and sons that won't ever be coming home again. So if you have tickets go there and stand with the brothers of the FDNY and honor the families at the funerals and memorials. Look at the faces of the guys and the families and you'll figure it out! Those funerals are more important than any national memorial will ever be!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X