This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hollysprings8:
    This isn't union bashing, it's a forum to state opinions which may be anti union in nature. Most people who are anti union right now would probably feel the same no matter what happened. Just remember that the IAFF contributes to the democratic party and probably helped put Guliani in office with money and votes.

I didn't want to get into and arguement here but your statement about the IAFF is so far off base it makes you look foolish.
    Who do you think got the Line of Duty Death Benefit passed.Your local department or mayor??
    Without the IAFF and our locals where do you think most of us would be right now.If you want to bash the IAFF then you need to take up another profession pal!!!!
    And yeah I'm not happy about the cancellation but I'll get over it.I just wanted to pay tribute to those brave men that didn't come home that day.

Comment

My dad always told me never to let emotions get in the way of rational thought. Unfortunately today in America way to much action IS driven by emotion. This whole incident in NYC is getting out of hand. Every firefighter I know is miserable over the loss of all these brothers. Yes I'm IAFF too. However, the brawl that took place has somewhat tarnished the image of the FDNY. Beating on cops is NOT the way to get more support. I know for fact that many civilians in the metro NYC area are not happy about the brawl. They remain quiet but still unhappy. Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, Giuliani had good intentions that were taken out of context or taken advantage of to satisfy someone elses
      agenda. Did the UFA officers sit and discuss this with the Mayor before the big
      march or did they just lash out. Hey I realize that nerves are frayed and emotions are running high but maybe cooler heads should have prevailed. I don't have the answers to all this so I'm speculating. I don't want to see any fallen brothers end up in a land fill either but I also don't want to see any killed trying to recover the dead. Cancelling the memorial was a mistake in my humble opinion. Maybe the UFA and the IAFF should have tried to make things right with the Mayor in a way that would have been acceptable to all. On the other hand maybe the IAFF and the UFA leadership have their own agenda. In 24 years of union membership I have seen numerous cases where union leaders did not act in the best intrest of their membership but acted in their own best intrests. Not just in the IAFF but in other unions as well. Again there is some speculation here. At any rate I would not have been caught dead in a photo op with that Randi Weingarten who runs the NYC teachers union. I would have thought the UFA leadership would have had more class than to be photoed with a leftist " Bash/Hate/Blame America first" individual like her. I.M.O.

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Deputynick ]

Comment

Here's my two cents...

I am an IAFF member. I respect the union's efforts, and I respect the FDNY's position.

However, I really think that the recent events that have been organized by the union in NYC do nothing to help the situation.

In fact, I think the protests, the arrests, and now canceling the service will hurt the union and the FDNY.

Images of the FDNY fighting with NYPD on TV and now attacking the mayor will turn out to be a PR mistake.

Its sad. Everyone wants the best for the department, but it definitely appears that politics as usual are back in play in NYC.
        " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

Comment

I have my ticket bought and room reserved. Am I upset that the memorial is cancelled- you bet! But there is no reason to cancel. There are several memorials being held in NY on the 16, 17, and 19 for individuals. Our support would be greatly appreciated at these services as well.

I've read it many times here and it has been put so well, that the inconveniences and expenses we have been put through mean nothing. It's all about honoring our fallen brothers.

Keep your reservations and show your support.

Check out http://ufalocal94.org/funeral_dates.html

I found this on our State Council's website. http://www.wscff.org/pages/help.html

Steve
          IAFF #1537

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: FFPMMonrad ]

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: FFPMMonrad ]
          Steve Monrad
          FF-PM
          City of Anacortes, WA
          IAFF Local 1537

Comment

The following is from Firefighting.com:

The union cited "widespread resentment" over Mayor Rudy Giuliani's recent actions toward grief-stricken New York firefighters and the fallen firefighters' families as the reason for scuttling the service. A new date for the memorial service was not announced, but IAFF President Harold Schaitberger made it clear it won't be rescheduled until after Mayor-Elect Michael Bloomberg takes office in January.

“We’re postponing until we have a new city administration, a new mayor, and hopefully a new fire commissioner," Schaitberger told Firefighting.com. "We’ll then work with the new leadership to put together a memorial that can be held in the right environment and the right atmosphere."

------------------------------------------

I agree that it is too early for the friends and family of all the victims and rescue workers seeing how not everyone has been recovered, but it sure sounds like politics from the national organization. I don't have a problem with any of the locals or even the national organization. However, the postponement is sure coming off like it is politically based.
            IACOJ Agitator
            Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

I agree with John Kennedy and Fred its not about your own self involement. If you have ever dug a body out of the rubble you would know the feeling and emotion that our brothers In New York are going through. I personlly have been to the funerals and spoke with some of there members and they will let the world know when the time is right for this service. For those of you who believe politics is involed the chances are very great that there is some, but the majority of this postponement is the right thing to do
              IACOJ Membership 2002
              {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Comment

While yes I feel deeply for the families that lost fireman on sept 11. I do believe that we are all going to honor the families of those fireman, not the mayor or who ever else the fireman/IAFF have a beef with. I'm mad beyond belief that this is postponed. The money/time off and planning that not only I but THOUSANDS of fireman have put into this so we could be there. Has been wasted so the IAFF can make a political statement, that is wrong. I know that I was going to HONOR the families and the families only. Don't use me to make your statment.

Comment

EVERYONE HAS SUFFERED EXTRA PAIN AND HARDSHIP OVER THE PAST WEEK WITH THE UNBELIEVABLE DECISIONS THAT GULIANI MADE. THE FIREFIGHTERS WHO WERE COMING TO THE SERVICE FROM LONG DISTANCES I FELL SORRY FOR ALSO. I ONLY HOPE THE AIRLINES WORK WITH US ON THIS ONE. GOD BLESS FDNY AND GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!
                  bkgarner

Comment

If I really truly thought this cancellation was done with the best of intentions I would not have a problem with it. But I still have suspicions about the Union officers motives in both this and the protest/brawl/whatever you want to call it.

The protest was conducted a day or two after President Bush (no love loss between unions and most Republicans) was in town to throw out the first pitch and while wearing FDNY logo did not wear any IAFF logos.

Yesterday a Republican was elected mayor and today day the Union decides to cancel the memorial. So way is it now that they say the memorial is to soon for the victims families?

Several events are a bit to "coincidental" and it sounds like petty back biting politics to me.

I also think the memorial was planned to soon but that's another subject.
                    ----------------
                    Rest the souls of our fallen brothers and sisters.

Comment

You can say all you want about the Mayor but he was right about 1 thing, this situation is out of CONTROL! It's just this side of criminal that it has reduced itself to this.
                      Bob Compton
                      IACOJ-Proud
                      IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

Comment

It's hard to believe that the IAFF is really concerned about brotherhood. Thier "political agenda", which is what cancelling the NYC memorial must be, is short sighted to say the least! They obviously didn't consider the impact this would have on all of thier members including NYC.
                        Many of us have made special work,family and financial arrangements to attend this much needed service. There will be no closure for the families and brothers of thoose lost for an undetermined length of time. If and when a service is scheduled, there is no guarantee that the political climate will have then changed for the better!
                        A far better idea would have been to have the service and don't invite the politicians you have a problem with. You would have 50,000 members strong in support instead of the ever widening margin of thoose who disagree.
                        KEEP POLITICS AND MOURNING SEPERATE!!!!!!

Comment

fyre dude,

THAT WAS THE DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD AND WE ARE ALL A LITTLE MORE STUPID FOR HAVING READ IT. IF YOUR NOT A IAFF FIRE FIGHTER RESEARCH WHAT THE IAFF HAS DONE IN THE PAST WHAT THEY ARE DOING CURRENTLY AND WHAT THEY PLAN FOR THE FUTURE. IF YOU ARE A IAFF FIRE FIGHTER SHAME ON YOU FOR BEING SO CLUELESS.
                          YES I AM A PROFESSIONAL FIRE FIGHTER AND YES I AM IN THE UNION

Comment

WOW..alot of people saying they are there for the families...but crying when the families are saying we need more time...people i forgot who said it but dont cancel your plans..i bet there are at least 4 memorial services (modest estimate) that weekend go to NYC and pay your repects there!

ANd maybe a FDNY brother can correct me, because I am not totally sure of this, but the FDNY has thier own union emblem dont they? Not like most Locals that use the Internationals...I could be wrong here but if so it wouldnt of mattered if the President was wearing a IAFF label

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: John Kennedy ]

Comment

THANK YOU TRUCKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A memorial can be held at anytime. And it can be held with only one person. It's about remembering what the person, or people, was like, who they were and how they lived. It has nothing to do with how many people show up or how much you spend on a refundable ticket or a hotel room.

They say that there is no greater love than a man who will lay down his life for a friend. But isn't laying down a life for a stranger an act of even greater love?

This is how the FDNY and others of 9/11 should be remembered. Not through bickering and 'woe is me.'
                              Amy Ponder
                              Volunteer Fire Fighter/First Responder's Little Girl

Comment

Originally posted by firemonkey70:
                                DONT EVEN BLAME THE IAFF FOR THIS NO NAME.
                                Hey Brother, I'm a union guy and am out hundreds of dollars along with my coworkers that were planning to honor our fallen brothers. The union IS responsible for this fiasco and should make retributions to everyone who lost money as a result of their rash judgement. Classic union move.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X