Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry, I think I left my reading glasses at home - Did that say that they're just dumping the bodies with the rubble?

My dad's a Vollie and if he were in something like that, God help the man who stands between me and my Daddy! I'm sorry for what the families - both those of blood, and those of the heart - are going through. It's bad enough that all of these families have lost loved ones, but to not be able to lay them to rest... I'm at a loss for words.

Stay safe, Amy
    Amy Ponder
    Volunteer Fire Fighter/First Responder's Little Girl

Comment

I agree and support the decision. You people in your haste to union bash must have overlooked the line where the surviors requested this also. Can we forget about our petty problems and respect their wishes. We now see the mayor without his sheeps clothing on. We know the rank and file don't have any respect for the commis and now the mayor. Lets wait until the new mayor comes in (with a new commis)and hold the service in a more fitting time and decorum.
      Union Brother And Proud Of It
      As for No Name

Comment

WELL PUT LT.
        YES I AM A PROFESSIONAL FIRE FIGHTER AND YES I AM IN THE UNION

Comment

I wish the union could have found a better way to get their point across. I don't believe that the overwhelming majority of families would have wanted this. God bless all those who are still in the remains of the WTC bldg but that thing is still burning and chances are that not everyone will ever be found. If you disagree with this I would encourage you to shred your union card and stop contributing money to their dirty politics. It's funny how supportive the mayor has been and the first time he does something wrong they jump all over him. How does this punish the mayor??? People are just going to remember it as one thing among many over time that the union has screwed up.

Comment

i can truly understand the feelings of the FDNY. Their Mayor and Commissioner just don't seem to understand the feelings of the men in the trenches. I have heard the Commission Van Essen ?? is not the most popular guy in town. I know of at least 250 FF's from my department who have already made plans to attend the memorial service. Some of us are now eating the cost, especially the non-refundable airline tickets. Maybe the best way to make a point is to have 50 or 60 thousand fellow FF's supporting our FDNY brothers and not inviting the Mayor and the Commissioner to participate. If the Mayor-elect is welcome, by all means invite him. I truly hope this is not a political game being played out at the expense of so many FF's who if they could have would have found any way possible to come out and support our brothers of the FDNY within days of 9-11. Now we have a chance to come and show our respects in great numbers, now we can do something where we couldn't do it before. So many plans, chartered aircraft, busses and plans, out the window in the last minute. I pray that something can be worked out quickley. And I pray for the FDNY. God Bless You All.

Comment

How about the ones with non refundable ticket go anyway and on the 19th be standing at the mayor's office and fly him the high one.

Comment

To all,

343 Confirmed Dead and Missing Brothers, 343 Families without a husband, father, son, uncle, cousin, etc. and all most of us seem to be capable of is wailing and moaning about switched shifts and non-refundable plane tickets. No wonder the American Fire Service constantly gets the short end of the stick. We have a "wonderful capacity" to beat up on ourselves.

Look at this objectively, the mayor and the commissioner are playing games, maybe the union is engaging in politics but the bottom line is what is best for the families.

Quit moaning about the memorial. I'm sure it will be held at the right time, when EVERYONE is ready for it.

Jim Boyle (aka 1261Truckie)

Comment

Well Loo,
                  I was planning on making the trip. I understand the thought process. I guess we will see when the service is postponed until to see if I will be able to reschedule.
                  For the record, I feel if the families of the fallen think this is too soon, I think we should respect their wishes. I dont think this is a IAFF thing. E229lt said before friday that this is not yet carved in stone. I agree with you lt. lets stop stirring the pot and remember where the real focus should be.
                  Shawn M. Cecula
                  Firefighter
                  IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

OK correct me if I am wrong, but the main reason for postponing the ceremony was because the family and the FDNY asked because they felt it was too soon! The widows wishes should be honored! For me it was only a car ride to NYC for the people with tickets put this into perspective..You lost a couple hundred dollars on tickets rooms meals and beers, which most can make that money up in a week or so...The FDNY and the FDNY families have lost LIVES!!! Which no matter how much OT or side jobs they work they will never be able to bring those people back! Money is replaceable people aren't!
                    And for you who are turning this into a "UNION BASHING" forum hang your heads in shame because you dont know what it means to be a firefighter if all you are worried about is your little trip to NYC and the money you lost.

Comment

Well said, 1261Truckie.

I also have non-refundable plane tickets, and had to bust my *** to get the time off, but that's not what's important. What is important is that there shouldn't be a memorial until all of the brothers are either found or accounted for, and their families and FDNY brothers are ready for one.

I will be there when the memorial happens.
                      Living the dream...

Comment

This isn't union bashing, it's a forum to state opinions which may be anti union in nature. Most people who are anti union right now would probably feel the same no matter what happened.

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: hollysprings8 ]

Comment

First off this this has got to be tough for "our" folks in NY. They probably have thought about all of us and our plans even when the should't . I have one of those Non refunbadles too so you know I am gonna do....turn Nov 18th from a memorial to a protest. 50,000 at ground zero will be a powerful message I think. [email protected]#* that Mayor and if Bush gives him a job like he said he would he sucks too. FDNY ought to have the service, get the Union to help with the place and we will all beat Julionies *** if he shows up.
                          Just My Opinion

Comment

I am truly sickened by all that has happened i feel for all our brothers and famlies we need to stck together i the hard times god bless all of our brave and ill being praying for all.

Comment

Originally posted by hollysprings8:
                              This isn't union bashing, it's a forum to state opinions which may be anti union in nature. Most people who are anti union right now would probably feel the same no matter what happened. Just remember that the IAFF contributes to the democratic party and probably helped put Guliani in office with money and votes.
                              Hey vollie, Giuliani is a Republican.

Maybe you should do your homework before talking out of your ***.
                              Living the dream...

Comment

Thanks Tailboard, you beat me to the point. I just opened a chat room titled Memorial Service, come over and hash it out together.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X