This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me out here

It's time to get serious about our annual department christmas dinner. We give out the usual awards... firefighter of the year and top responder. My wife had an idea of giving out an award for the top responders wife. She gets to put up with interrupted family events, meals, dates, etc. (we're a volunteer dept.). What I'm looking for is a poem or the like for a firemans wife. Does anybody have any suggestions? and maybe where I can find it already on a plaque or award?
    Thanks and be safe, Frank
    Chief Frank Rizzio
    Pea Ridge Fire Dept.sigpic
    Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Here is one, hope it helps.

The table's set, the meal's prepared, our guests will soon arrive. My husband once more disappears with a hope of keeping a child alive. While waiting at home again alone, our plans having gone awry.
    My first impulse is merely to sit down and cry. But soon again I realize the importance of my life, when I agreed to take on the duties of being a fireman's wife. While there are many drawbacks, I'll take them in my stride. The gusting winds and raging flames may be his final fate, But with God's help I can remain my fireman's faithful mate.

Stay safe all my fellow Brothers and Sisters

Comment

We do the standards also how ever we honor all the significant others.

After all the members have been introduced and promotion cerimonies completed. We ask our spouses to stand and be recognized by applause. We then return to our seats with a gift of appreciation from the department for each one of them. We presented them over the years with an engraved plaque with the above poem. Special Candles, Gift Certificates for one of the top end salons.

The first dance of the night is a spousal dance.

So often we take them for granted. So often they tend our cuts and bruises. Massage the shoulder you strained. Stopped by the Station and helped prepare a meal after a big call. Stood by the window and watched the smoke billow across town praying for your safe return.

This is the time of year to truly honor these special people. Frank, your on the right track just take it one step further.

Comment

I RECOMEND THIS ONE IT MAKES NO REFERENCE TO CARREER OR VOLLIE FIRE FIGHTER AND YET HONORS THE WIFE INSTEAD OF THE PROFESSION.
        MY WIFE GOT THIS ONE FROM SOMEWHERE.

"RICH IS THE MAN
        REAPING HIS REWARDS IN LIFE
        WHO CHOSE TO BE
        THE OTHER HALF
        OF A FIRE FIGHTERS WIFE."

I WOULD ALSO HONOR ALL WIVES INSTEAD OF JUST THE TOP RESPONDERS WIFE
        YES I AM A PROFESSIONAL FIRE FIGHTER AND YES I AM IN THE UNION

Comment

OH AND WELL SAID CAP22
          YES I AM A PROFESSIONAL FIRE FIGHTER AND YES I AM IN THE UNION

Comment

I usually honor our wives with a big thank you and a standing applause from their spouses. But you people have got some good ideas, I'm going to put them to work, any other ideas would be great, thanks.
            Be safe, Frank

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: FSRIZZIO ]
            Chief Frank Rizzio
            Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Comment

Our Chief and President always thank our families and the spouses at our dinner. The one year they told me to thank my parents for allowing "their little girl" to joing the all male ranks of the fire dept. That was pretty cool...my dad was real proud when I told him about it.
              Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

A little something from my wife's perspective, as I imagine it. She's very understanding about the serious calls, but her patience wears a little thin on the dumb stuff. Thus this illustrious verse:

Pager beeping in my ear
                Husband running out of here
                Moron left his oven on
                Now my fireman has gone.

Fire's out in just a bit
                But at the station he will sit
                Brewing coffee, cutting up
                Sitting on his sorry butt.

Bed is cold, no man to warm it
                Enough to make a woman vomit!
                Wish he'd shake his booty home
                And not leave me all alone.

Someday it will all be worth it
                All the headaches, waits, and worries--
                When the weekends we finally see
                He gets to wash my car for free!
                “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
                ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

That's pretty hilarious Brian...but I don't think I'll use it.
                  Chief Frank Rizzio
                  Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Comment

Hey Chief, our department had a banquet for a long standing Fire Chief who was retiring. I was ask to read and present Appreciative plaques to him and his wife. I had no problem presenting his but when it came time to read her's, I looked at my pretty, supportive wife and mother of three (actually 4 if you count me) and lost it. Tears just flowed and I fought through it and got it done. But I was remembering her hugs when I got home from some difficult calls, like a Christmas day structure fire with her listening to fireground radio talk, on the home scanner, of the roof coming in while my buddy (Asst. Chief) and I are still in there.
                    There is a myth in our society that i would like to see go away. that is, that marriage is 50/50. That is pure crap! When your married, you are one person, if not it can go to hell in a hand basket. When I became a firefighter, she became one too!
                    I will locate the words on that plaque and get them too you if you want me too. They were awesome and true!

God Bless you and your family, BE CAREFUL!
                    Billy Reiter Thornville FD
                    See you on the big one!<br />Billy Reiter 1st Lieutenant/Chaplain available 24 7

Comment

Amen 41! the poem on the plaque would be great input if you can get it. This post may be helping alot more people than myself.
                      Thanks again, Frank

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: FSRIZZIO ]
                      Chief Frank Rizzio
                      Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Comment

Uh, not to be a sexist or anything, but, some of us are females.

How about a poem like this:

You are the rock that makes us stronger.
                        You make sacrifices every day.
                        You sit alone while we are in harms way.
                        You welcome us with open arms,
                        You hold us when we cry,
                        You watch us leave, never asking "why".

You know we might leave and never return.
                        You worry, but, never ask us to stay.
                        You wait, patient and true.

And if that fateful day comes,
                        And we answer our last call,
                        You are not alone.
                        For we are family, one and all.
                        Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

Comment

Firebear..thanks from one of the other females on this forum. My last boyfriend was not a ff and didn't get what I do or why, but he was understanding when I ran out during dinner, etc. It is very hard for our significant others to understand the family bond we as ffs have with each other. For some of us girl ffs it is even harder. I am the only girl currently on my fire dept. and that can cause big problems with the guys I date. So when I find a supportive guy that doesn't get jealous, I hold onto him with all my strength. God Bless those wives, husbands, gfs, bfs, and families out there that have to put up with us. They have the hardest job of all. Take care.
                          Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

point taken 235, female ff's can have spouses also, and they should have the same recognition. We just don't have any on our dept... yet. (check the edit above)
                            Chief Frank Rizzio
                            Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Comment

Hi Frank, the poem I had read is the same one that "northhfd068" posted. You can find it on the internet at The Roberts Co. firestore, then click on "prints". I sure hope this helps. If I find anything else I'll let you know.

Isaiah 43:2

Billy
                              See you on the big one!<br />Billy Reiter 1st Lieutenant/Chaplain available 24 7

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X