This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chase Drivers

I was watching The Bravest and saw an episode with FDNY. In it they had chase drivers following the rigs. I'm curious what chase drivers do. Can anybody tell me?

Thanks
    BKE
    BKE
    Proud to be an American.

"No animals were used in the posting of this thread. Two sticks of bubble gum and a hulahoop yes, animals no..."

bke,

FDNY does not allow non-FDNY personnel (journalists, cameraperson, etc.) to ride on the apparatus. As an accommodation for film crews, a vehicle is provided for the film crew to ride in enroute to an alarm.

"Lets be careful out there"

Regards to all,

Jim Boyle (aka 1261Truckie)

Comment

Ohhhh so thats why They have those.... Cool...that answered my question too....
      Andrew
      Firefighter/EMT
      New Jersey

Comment

Thanks for the info. I should have thought of that. Oh well.

BKE

---------------
        America dialed 9-1-1 and they responded...
        FDNY 09.11.01
        BKE
        Proud to be an American.

"No animals were used in the posting of this thread. Two sticks of bubble gum and a hulahoop yes, animals no..."

Comment

If they don't allow camera people on their apparatus, then why do they clearly show camera people climbing aboard the apparatus, and who is the guy holding the camera when they are interviewing people in the back of Rescue 2 enroute to a call?

I am not sure - but I would venture a guess that the chase vehicle is to transport the person displaced by the camera person, and to afford another angle for the camera.

But - I don't know -- Just making an educated guess -- but if you watch the episodes- you can see the camera people climbing aboard the apparatus.
          Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
          "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Comment

FF McDonald,

I thought of that later today too. I had taped it and watched it again.

BKE

----------------
            America dialed 9-1-1 and they responded...
            FDNY 09.11.01
            BKE
            Proud to be an American.

Comment

what a big mystery.... hehe
              Andrew
              Firefighter/EMT
              New Jersey

Comment

The chase car is used to carry the extra people from the film crew who don't fit in the rig. It is also better to have it driven by a member of the company off duty on overtime paid by the film crew who knows where he is going instead of a film crew guy who doesn't. Also better to have a uniformed member driving in case of an accident don't you think. in our case ( rescue 2 ) members of the company were used, what i have noticed though is that other departments used officers don't they make more than us already, give the guys the overtime.

Comment

Does FDNY have a film/video/photo unit for things similar to this? I know NYPD does. Are its members firefighters?

Comment

Bob -- Thanks for the clarification. I guess we heard it from the horses mouth....
                    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
                    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I'm learning as I go. Stay safe.

BKE
                      BKE
                      Proud to be an American.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X