This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senate Kills Collective Bargaining Effort

Just read the article and found a couple lines that made me kinda mad...

"Republicans distributed a memo during the debate calling the proposal ``a clear and avoidable danger'' that ``could lead to firefighter, police strikes during a terrorist attack.''

Anyone here ever think you would go on strike if a damn airplane crashed into your city? Me either.
    My comments posted here do not reflect the views of my department.

Just goes to show you how soon they forget about their "heroes". They pat you on the back one day and jam a knife in it the next. To suggest that any fire fighter would go on strike during a terrorist attack is absurd and nothing short of scare tactics in this time of national crisis! I am fortunate enough to be covered by collective bargaining and believe that all public safety personnel should be entitled to it.

Comment

Strike during a terrorist attack?!! Strike when there are people hurt and suffering? WTF? That would make us no better than the terrorists! What is wrong with those people?!

Comment

ALL I KNOW IS WE HERE HAVE BEEN BUSTING OUR BUTTS TRYING TO PRESSURE OUR POLITICIANS TO VOTE YES AND THEY SHOOT IT DOWN BECAUSE OF A LACK OF UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT THE BILL REALLY MEANS. HELL THEY MAKE THE LAWS AND YET THEY DONT UNDERSTAND THE NO STRIKE CLAUSES IN THE DAMN THINGS. BACK IN THE 60'S SOME COPS WENT ON STRIKE AND DESTROYED THE WHOLE THING FOR US 40 YEARS LATER. SO HERE WE SIT IN NC GROSSLY UNDERPAID AND IN A RIGHT TO WORK STATE WE ARE SCREWED.
        YES I AM A PROFESSIONAL FIRE FIGHTER AND YES I AM IN THE UNION

Comment

Being a former Union Associate and being from a Collective Bargaining State, you have my sympathy. In Ohio, Police and Fire are forbidden from holding a "strike" as part of our collective bargaining law. To my knowledge, this has never been a problem here.

Now, my friends, is the time you must muster the true political power of those in Public Safety. This includes working with the police and even the volunteers.

Remember that these are elected officials. Be sure to spread the word to EVERONE you know to vote against those who voted against you when the next election comes... don't let time fade the memories of this... keep copies of everything to bring up when election time comes.

In the meantime, send letters to your Senators and Representatives expressing your displeasure with this outcome. Do this as individuals and, when possible, do it as organizations. And more importantly, urge everyone you know to do the same. Everyone likes a fireman, and the politicians will wake up when they realize that you have more constituents as a group than they do as individuals. The squeeky wheel does get the grease... so get to work squeeking!
          Richard Nester
          Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

SO HERE WE SIT IN NC GROSSLY UNDERPAID AND IN A RIGHT TO WORK STATE WE ARE SCREWED

May I suggest then you stop bitching about what the United States Senate did and take the matter up with the North Carolina State Legislature?
            IACOJ Canine Officer
            20/50

Comment

The true colors of our elected officials is coming through.

I live in a "Right to Work" state and we do not have the right to bargain over wage, benefit, safety or any other issue for that matter.

The scare tactics that the Republican leadership used make me want to hurl. The fact that the legislation would specifically prohibit striking notwithstanding, I find it reprehensible that Senators from my state (McCain and Kyl) would dishonor the men and women who put their lives on the line every day by suggesting we would turn our backs on our duty in a time of crisis.

McCain has been making much political hay from being seen at Ground Zero and in other public venues ostensibly to show support for the emergency workers.

What outrageous hypocricy.

I hope the voters in all these Republican strongholds (such as Arizona) see through their blind partisanship and oust the bastards in the next election.

I know how I will vote.

Dave Manning
              Flagstaff Fire Department

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: AZ FIRE/MEDIC/HMT ]
              Dave Manning
              IAFF Local 1505 VP
              PFFA District 1 Trustee

Comment

Boy, is this a crock of S***. Its amazing all the lies the Rebulican party will tell when it comes to this issue. Most states have laws forbidding public employees from striking, so thats a bogus issue! And striking during a major disaster?! What an insult!
                Someone needs to explain something to me: Why is it that those that think our country should be a "free market" society when it comes to commerce, have a problem when it comes to the same issue in regards to the labor force?
                Buncha damned hypocrites!!!!

Comment

I must admit that if this is true that alot of "Americans" need to have a change of scene. Like on their butts and back to their homes! However, I think I need to hear the complete story on this one. I have learned that what partisian politicians and the media tell me needs to be taken with several tons of salt. If anyone can get a copy of these memos let me know!

Be Safe!
                  Firefighter/NREMT-B/Hazmat Tech
                  To the Lord Jesus Christ: Thanks for providing a career where we can make a difference.

Comment

HEH... you might not want to send a letter to your senator..... I don't think they would be to quick to open it

try an email instead

most news organizations have a forum like this Try posting a msg there.
                    or if you want to get a little more creative setup a webpage
                    [FDBS]Wray

Comment

I'm embarassed to say that one of my state's Senators, Phil Gramm, led the charge against cloture on the Daschle Amendment. I'd like to say how happy we will be to be rid of him (he's probably not running for another term) but Dallas Mayor Ron Kirk is the front runner to replace him. Kirk has fought Dallas fire fighters on every single issue since he took office. The Dallas Local will love to be rid of him. They are trying to keep the IAFF from backing him but nobody is listening. There are several other Democrats running against Kirk who have supported labor and fire fighters. The IAFF needs to listen to the Dallas boys and back somebody else. Why get rid of Gramm and replace him with somebody worse.

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: kippo ]

Comment

I am sooo disappointed in the republicans and the democratic senators who actually believed the propoganda generated by those who obviously do not respect the men and women of the career fire service. This cowardly act reflects the nature of their hearts. I guess the ole grinch has nothing on them.
                        We are addressing our state laws here in NC that prohibit collective bargaining. Believe it or not the national battle would be easier won than our state battle. The caste system is alive and well here.

Keep the faith brothers and sisters-we will win!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X