X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Akron Saberjet

Hi there,

Had anyone used the Akron Saberjet multipurpose nozzle? Is it as versitile as they claim it to be?
    Stay Safe - Sleep with a Firefighter

Myself and a few others were able to get a hold of sabre jet for a 1 3/4" and a 2 1/2" nozzle. We decided that for a hand line the 2 1/2" nozzle worked the best. Gave us great versatility and options that we at the nozzle could choose on the go. We did not like the combined fog and solid stream function. Not very good reach and fog pattern was not very tight. But all in all we liked it. And have suggested it to are up command staff. The 1 3/4" was alright but I guess that in my area we are sold on the fog nozzles more. Hope that helps. Have you used it? And if so how did you like it.

Comment

Hi,

Nope, I haven't used it. I am working for a petrochemical refinery and we use the older Akron fog nozzles which is fine for what we do. (flame bending and isolation of pressure fed fires - both gas and liquid). When we do need reach for cooling purposes we make use of either ground or fixed monitors. Was just wondering whether the saberjet wouldn't be the answer to end the controversy between solid bore and fog nozzle - best of two worlds type of thing.

Be good.
      Stay Safe - Sleep with a Firefighter

Comment

Not had a chance to use it, but have had one in my hand. It will take some getting used to and I would be afraid to make the wrong move with the thing in a fire, reverting back to the old habits with the combinations nozzles. I think it is funny that Akron is billing this as something new, when our 1956 Engine had an old Navy Nozzle that was a combinations fog/straight stream nozzle...
        Richard Nester
        Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

since a combination nozzel pressure is 100, and a smoothe bore is 50, what pressure is the saber jet supposed to operate at?

Comment

Yes I used it about a month ago in a fire. Its seemed every 10 ft. I crawled the fog would turn on if I rubbed it on the floor. and I didn't like having to turn the fog on and off the way it is. I forgot about how it worked when I was in there (caught up in thrill) but it is a good idea and the smooth bore works great. knocks down a lot of fire.

Comment

We just received one this week at the department I work for. Not had a chance to use it on a fire, but did train with it one day. So far everyone likes it, but it is hard to get use to. Will let you know more when I get to use it in a fire.

Comment

Just tried one last night at drill. I ordered a 2 1/2" with 1" bore. I plan on using it for a blitz line on our daytime pumper. Seemed to work well last night. It has good reach and the fog stream holds pattern well. When you use both the fog pattern does suffer. Overall I think it will work well. Only problem that I do see is making sure you train on the operation of the fog pattern and how to make sure its off . I could see where it could be left on and cause great damage and injury.
                "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
                (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Comment

Bat66red has good ???

When you are in fog at 100psi and you go to SB...the reaction force will be tremendous unless you have Pump operator throttle back. In MY OPINION....it is JUNK...takes two different actions to flow the SB and Fog.... Poor attempt at a nozzle....

Why not consider a TFT Mid-Matic (dual pressure nozzle and accomplish the same thing by a 1/4 turn of the tip and get good reach and great velocity even in the low pressure setting. 100' of 1 3/4 at 150PSI Pump pressure will flow just over 200GPM...

Firefighter430......before you make that purchase.....consider this.... Look at the TFT Blitzfire as a blitz nozzle. It is good for offensive attack as well as defensive or exposure protection. It weigh about 25 lbs and friction loss is just 18 lbs. On a 3" line you can flow 500GPM and one person can stretch the 200' line and have water flowing in 90 seconds or less. What a bang for your buck. How many people will it take to put that 2 1/2" daberjet in service and manage it effectively?????

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: captstanm1 ]
                  09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                  ------------------------------
                  IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                  "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                  BMI Investigator
                  The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Why limit ourselves to 200gpm with the 1.75" or 350gpm for the blitz attack?

My humble opinion - great idea for Akron, sales should be super. Not so good idea for us, its use really limits our flows.
                    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Comment

Mongo!!! long time no see good buddy. I'll tell you up front I really like Akron stuff, after testing nozzles and appliances I think their quality is the best. Now do I like the saber?, well... maybe. I have some concerns on the smooth bore end of things, taper and length are very important to the stream. I've used a nozzle with a long gradual taper, and it was better than a tip that had an aggressive taper even with a stream straightener. (A stub tip compared to a regular tip would be a good example). Now, and this is my opinion, (but I'm right) I believe that there are combination nozzles that give up fog stream quality in order to enhance their straight stream performance. Some would even have you believe that their straight stream is as good as a solid stream, (they're not). I think in this case the opposite is true, that some solid bore quality is given up. Now if anyone can pull this off, it's probably going to be Akron. However right now, there are smooth bores and there are fogs, and except for break-aparts or maybe a navy all purpose, they're not the same.

Comment

Thanks Blacksheep, good to see you too! I've been spending the last few months in an unscientific study to determine which nozzle puts out the fire better, one time we take an an LP auto, the next a smoothbore.

I've found that there really isn't much difference except we have more options the auto (e.g. flow range).

What are we doing wrong?
                        It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Comment

hey mongo.....am i blury or did you just agree with me???

Blacksheep....I am telling you...you guys in St. Pete should try the TFT Automatics dual pressure nozzle. Lots of hitting power and you get a great stream in the straight stream position... It is solid enough that you can even get a pitot reading in it...try it! And the Blitzfire...well..... there is a 500GPm capability that can be achieved by one firefighter on a 3" line for exterior operations..... Who else can top that. And...even on a 3"....if you use the lightwieght hose...you can hit and advance the Blitzfire. Seminole has gone one further (Cal Lewis) has done some testing and found that on a 2" line the Blitzfire will deliver about 350GPM at 100PSI nozzle pressure.....and....even easier to hit and advance with it. They are considering use in High rise applications....Necessary personnel to accomplish: 2

Stay safe

Oh Yea....I still think the saberjet is gonna hurt someone...too complicated..... and overrated....

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: captstanm1 ]
                          09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                          IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                          "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                          BMI Investigator
                          The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Tried 'em don't like em. As far as that Dept. you mentioned, unless they've changed it recently they still have a standing order that forbids them from top venting 1 story single family dwellings. And they like tft's.......hhhmmmmmm
                            By the way,I went through the academy with Cal.

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: BLACKSHEEP-1 ]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X