X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

Good day.
    I've had an account for these boards for a few months I think now, but this is my first post.

Anyways, to the point of this...I'm 17, and my city has no, Junior FF or anything similar. So I've been asking different people alot of questions, and I found out they will be recuiting this spring. I turn 18 this spring also. However, I don't have any training yet, because I'm still in Highschool. I'm hoping to start a Fire Saftey college course next semester, but I'll still be in Highschool, so the imetables might conflict.
    I'm off track again... what I want to know is, if i turn 18 before the recruiting starts, should I still apply for a volunteer position even though I don't have any training? Is it worth a try or worth the experience of going through the recruiting process?

Everyone's opinion encouraged. Thanks, Ram

Try joining an area FD or perhaps see if they can start an explorer-type program with the scouts.

Comment

Talk wit some mebers of your local fire dept. If thier a volunteer company the'll most likely be willing to helps you out, if thier career their recurtment will be more structrued and you would have to meet thier agenda. Most career depts. won't hire you with out a H.S. degree, if you have it by that time and want to be a career Firefighter, take every test that comes along. Weather its paid or volunteer, it will probaly be the best decision in your life. Good Luck.

Comment

That is a good idea to talk to some poeple who are in your area, about the firefighting responsibilities! Good Luck!
        Firefighters are beneficial to every community with the wealth of information they have!

They don't get enough praise, for the information and skills they know! It could save your life one day!!!!!

Comment

Most departments have a membership committee that you can address. Our dept. allows juniors at age 16. Check around, you may find that there is more available than you thought. Good luck.
          Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

Usually it's "on the job training" -- the Dept. sponsors the training for you and you're on probation for a period of time.
            "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
            -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

Thanks for replying.

HCTROUBLE25 : I asked a few people about the age thing, and I was told that you have to be 18. Reading on here, it seems most other cities you can get involved alot easier. I asked about juniors/explorers, I asked about ride alongs, I asked about doing a CO-OP (i was declined for this semester, but was told that there is a chance next semester I could get the CO-OP.) I eve asked about going to the location where they train so I could see what is done there and hear what has to be said, but I was told that I can't even do that.

I hate the feeling of being behind, and reading on here, other places have people younger than me allowed to get involved. It's a frustrating feeling.

Thanks again for the replies. Ram

Comment

Ram, I know it can be very frustrating for you but let me give you some advice. As someone who worked EMS in that fair city for 14 years (still do part-time), a vollie firefighter for 5 just to the South of you and now working full time as an FPO I know the system quite well. First off, go out and get your First Aid and CPR certificates. The more qualifications you can bring with you the better. Second, if you live near a volunteer station, then find out when their training nights are and go visit the hall at that time. Let them get to know you, volunteer to help out with the Fire Prevention duties (even if it means dressing up as Sparky!)As for the full time city service, I hate to burst your bubble, but at 18, with no experience, no education, and no "life experience", you don't stand much of a chance......YET. Don't be discouraged. Take your courses, volunteer where you can and get some time under your belt, show up with something to offer them, there will be thousands applying for those jobs, make yourself stand out.
                Hope that helps and good luck!
                IACOJ

Comment

LadyCapn : Thanks for the reply. Do you have an e-mail address so I could e-mail you? (i still have some questions, and some new questions now too.)

Thanks again, Ram

Comment

Ram the key is VOllie Vollie Vollie. the fire service thrives on voluteer professionals they are the backbone so when you get a chance join a volunteer dept. Then work your way up!! I grew up in this great service My dad My brother I was rolling hose by 3yrs old!! My dept. does'nt have an official Jr dept. but when we get a App. from someone 14-17 thats what they become! I was a Jr/ My brother was and My dad also but he was a Jr in miami-dade.. So join a volunteer Co. and that should get you in!!!
                    TC.379

Comment

Ram,

I sent you an email, just respond to it with whatever questions you have.

IACOJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X