This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisiana Station Mascot Nearly Killed

To the owners of Smokey.........I wish all the best in his recovery. I am positive that those responsible for this will "GET THERES"

"The fidelity of a dog is a precious gift demanding no less binding moral responsibility than the friendship of a human being." -Condrad Lorenz

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: WebTeam ]
    Smile....it ain't all that bad!!!!!!!

What's with the sarcasm? Without the details you would have no clue how cruel the assailant(s) were. It's heartbreaking stuff to read, but I think people need to know what really happened. Maybe reading the details will inspire someone to come forward with information about the crime. It may also serve as a warning for other people to be more cautious about the security of their pets knowing this guy is out there.

Best of luck to Smokey. I hope he hasn't lost his trust in all humans because of this.

Comment

Well, asthe former owner of a three-legged dog (Booboo, 1987-2001, born a dog, died a gentleman) I can tell you that dogs carry 60% of their body weight on their front legs and that the long term effects of his amputation will probbly be moderate to severe arthritis in the remaining back leg and a severe inability to scratch the one ear. Other than that, he should get around pretty well, with the possible exception of stairs and jumping in the back of the car--both easly remidied with a 1" plywood ramp.

Althea
      Althea Forhan
      FDNY 343:"Forever your power and strength stays with me"

Comment

It breaks my heart to think someone would do this to an animal especially at this time when firefighters are being looked upon in a different aspect (finally, I might add). I hope they catch the abusers. A similar incident happened at the old College Park firehouse, about 10 years ago. Their mascot died of rat poisoning.
        "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
        -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

I just spoke to a member of the 9 Mile Pt. VFC. Being an owner of two Dalmatians myself, I could not help but contact them to see if they needed financial assistance with the vet's bills. The have not as of this time received a bill, but they anticipate a large one. I asked about sending a check, they were extremely pleased that I wanted to help. If anyone else wants to help, here is the address:
          9 Mile Pt VFC
          1024 Oak Ave
          9 Mile Pt La.

Make checks payable to the 9 Mile Pt VFC.

By the way, Sparky walked today, went outside for a bit to "check things out."
          FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB

Comment

There's only one scum sucking lowlife who would beat an animal, let alone a firehouse mascot...pardon the pun, but it would be a MUTT

Firehouse mascots are jakes on 4 legs with furry coats!

FTM-PTB (including the mascots!)
            ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
            Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

I'm very disappointed to find that within the space of about 2 weeks this forum has featured two very disturbing stories out of Louisiana (FF/arsonists in Tangipahoa Parish, and now this). Hopefully you will not judge us all based upon the actions of these losers.
              Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
              Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
              Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
              — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

Oops, my mistake....it was St. Tammany Parish, not Tangipahoa. My sincerest apologies to the brothers in Tangipahoa Parish...Next time I will check the details FIRST........
                Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
                Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
                Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
                — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

This kind of animal cruelty is inexcusable. I hope that if they are able to find these people they are truly punished, not just slapped on the wrists. As someone who treats my 3 dogs like they are my children I am disgusted, as a human being I am more than a little concerned.

Animal cruelty is an early sign of even worse behavior to come... Look at the early years of your famous mass/serial murderers.

This should not be taken lightly.
                  Susan Lounsbury
                  Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
                  Griffith Volunteer FD

Comment

Althea forgot to mention spinal arthritis and compressed disks. Raised feeding dishes, a ramp for vehicle access (you can also get a special harness designed to allow an adult to lift them by shoulders and hips), a warm doghouse and a cozy bed will all help. When it does set in, there's doggie Relafen.

Our dog, Boo, lived 10 happy years on 3 legs. And he was a gentleman. Treated me better than my ex did!

Comment

I'm with Gonzo, four legged Jakes with furry coats. My dogs are like my children. I hope they find the offenders and an appropriate punishment is applied. I have some bricks they could use..... Best of luck to Smokey

ftm-ptB (especially the 4 legged, they can't protect themselves)

Comment

Again, what Gonzo said...

When the scumbag who committed this act is found, forget animal cruelty charges... perhaps a charge of assault on a public safety official might be more in order...

Remember the brothers... FDNY 9/11/01

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

I.A.C.O.J. for LIFE!

Comment

No offense taken Dwayne/PF-10 about the Tangi Parish FFs thought I was going to have to have some sharp word w/ you at first then I read your post stating you r mistake. Good thing I read every post. I do really hope yall wont judge onthe actions of a few stupid *** that make good ole Louisana look like a bad place because it really isn't.
                          LADIES LOVE ME.
                          FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

Comment

I AM HEARTBROKEN TO LEARN OF SMOKEY'S MISFORTUNE. TO THE MEMBERS OF THE 9 MILE POINT VFC, HANG IN THERE! WHAT SMOKEY NEEDS NOW IS HIS FRIENDS AT THE STATION. I HAVE 3 DALMATIANS MYSELF AND I PLAN ON SENDING A DONATION TO 9 MILE POINT VFS TO HELP WITH SMOKEYS BILL. AND TO THE IDIOT THAT DID THIS, ONE DAY YOU WILL GET YOURS

TUCK

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X