X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• capt311
    replied
    well 5 guy's in my department have fdny memorial stickers on there helmets including my self the hell with looking uniform it shows pride and respect for the for the work you do as a firefighter and respect for our fallen fdny brothers. there are even stickers on our trucks. your chief has to take a reality check and just maybe he will remember where he came from

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: capt311 ]

Leave a comment:

• Chief Reason
    replied
    Sconfire:
    I just ordered sew-on patches that look just like your decal. Are you selling patches too, or did I order mine from someone else with that same design? Just wondering. Neat sticker, though.
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Chief Reason
    replied
    HiHo, pak-man:
    Chief Reason here. I understand that you guys are having a sticker controversy. Maybe just a short confab with the chief-something like "Chief, the guys want to put a small remembrance of 9-11-01 on our helmets. Do we have your support?"-would have staved off this unpleasant turn of events. Notice that I didn't say, "permission". It's easy to say "no" if you are asking for permission. It's alot tougher to say "no", if you are being asked to "support" the men. Anyway, we are a volunteer department in Illinois. I ordered the stickers for the helmets and they will stay on PERMANENTLY. I also allow the others to put other stickers on their helmets as long as they don't cover up the essential ones and are in good taste. "No fear" stickers are ok but no Calvins peeing on a fire. I feel that it lets them personalize their gear a little and it doesn't hurt a damn thing.
    I just wanted to let you know that whitehats are not all the same. Some of us can make good decisions and contribute positive efforts to the ever-changing roles of our fire departments. If your chief can explain to me how wearing a memorial sticker on a helmet has anything to do with the effectiveness of the department, I would be glad to listen. If you have his email, I would be glad to drop him a line in your support. I find it commendable that you and yours are remembering your fallen brothers and sisters in NYC. I find it shameful that your chief doesn't support that.
    And just so you know, my position is elected each year and I have been chief for fifteen years. I feel good about that, because prior to my term, a chief was appointed for life or until he got PO'd and quit. I love my guys and I love what I do. If your chief won't compromise, decorate your personal clothing, vehicles, etc. He can't take that away from you. You're good people; don't let him change that.
    Stay safe.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Dunlap
    replied
    I see nothing wrong with honoring those that made the Supreme Sacrifice @ W.T.C. Our department even went as far to purchase decals alot like the one sconfire demonstrated. It is the FDNY Emblem with The American Flag back-grounded with "Remembering our Fallen Heros" "September 11, 2001" in Borders around the emblem. I t looks pretty sharp. We bought them and put them on the trucks between the doors on the cabs. They measure about 6" X 6" and do stand-out. We will not be removing these decals -- they are a permeinent addition to our equipment.

Leave a comment:

• sconfire
    replied
    Just for everyones information, this is the helmet sticker that is being discussed.

I have about 500 left.

Grant Mishoe www.sconfire.com

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: sconfire ]

Leave a comment:

• Josh Drouard
    replied
    What a shame.......at our department our officers saw the decal Ihad purchasrd and at an officers meeting bought one for everyones helmet to be put in the same place !! We must remember our brothers !!

Leave a comment:

• sconfire
    replied
    Pak-Man,
    Let me know how many you need to outfit your department and I will send them to you at no cost! The only thing I ask is for some pictures with you guys wearing them! Do we have a deal? Let me know and I will send them to you.

Leave a comment:

• fireman george
    replied
    A picture of one of our ladder trucks with a memorial FDNY across the front was featured in one of the slide shows the Sunday after WTC. Two weeks ago, out comes a notice to remove such from all App and PPE. A FF riding in charge became concerned and removed the FDNY from the front of the truck. Most companies have complied. It saddens me that those in positions of authority so quickly forget. The notice also said they were considering a magnetic memorial to FDNY for the rigs. I guess that way they figured they could put it on or remove it depending on who they want to impress. Best part is that all but a few of our apparatus are aluminum bodied.
    And these guys were smart enough to get promoted 4 to 5 times? I guess to a chief it is just a job.

Leave a comment:

• frontlinesoldier
    replied
    Our township manager ordered ALL stickers/decals removed from our helmets 2 days before 9/11....that was to include AMERICAN FLAGS , SHAMROCKS, anything that meant anything to us. I've yet to see a decal removed since...as a matter of fact...I'm starting to see more decals. On 9/11, I went to our local uniform supply company and had them sew an American Flag on all my station shirts (Yes..we dont have them on our uniforms..thank you very much manager) When I showed up to work ("not uniform") I made it clear that for the flag to come off my shoulder, she would have to rip my arm out of its socket first.

Update....She is buying flags for all station wear!

Leave a comment:

• NozzleHog
    replied
    I'd just quietly continue to wear the sticker...don't make a big deal out of it. If he's stupid enough, let him make it a big deal then you go into protest mode. Oh yeah, then vote him out at the next election. Talk about choosing the wrong battle to fight. This chief must be an idiot.

If you're a vollie department what's he gonna do to you, suspend half the membership? Take away your birthday?

Chief: Relax, pal. There's a saying..."Don't sweat the small stuff." Ever hear of it?

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: NozzleHog ]

Leave a comment:

• CHARLESTON
    replied
    FYI: After reading this forum tonight, I called and spoke with Captain Grant Mishoe (owner of www.sconfire.com) who sold you the stickers. He has PLENTY left and is willing to help you if you are wanting to get some more (so everyone in your department will have them).

He advised to e-mail him directly at [email protected] or visit our site at www.sconfire.com.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• FP&LS Guy
    replied
    While I understand the thoughts and feelings behind the stickers (and I am waiting for mine as I type this) you must remember that you are representing more then just yourself and your personnal feelings when you wear the uniform. Most departments require permission PRIOR top adding items to the uniform/protective clothing/helmts. Maybe if this was done first, rather then have the chief have to say something and the guy give him attitude .....

At some point we will have to stop using 9-11-01 as an excuse to do whatever we feel is appropriate. But .... we must never forget either.

Leave a comment:

• FFD#30
    replied
    We ran into the same problem, however we came up with the compromise with our chief to keep them on till the last brother is found.

Stay Safe

Leave a comment:

• firemedic19077
    replied
    Sounds like he is rearranging deck chairs on the titantic!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• pak-man
    replied
    In our department chief is a 12 year term. 6 diferent company's. so you spend 2 years at 9-5 and eventually move up to 9. total of 12 years. by this time these cjiefs forget where tey came from and who put them in this position. and the joke is there are no course requirements to be an officer or chief, just one year as captain. nice isn't. so any idiot can be chief. I would like to put it in the paper but I sure something would happen to me as being brought up on charges, they love doing that. The last guy that told the chief he didn't know what he was doing got brought up on charges.

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: pak-man ]

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X