This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bourke eye protection

Can anyone tell me why bourke eye protection is OSHA approved and not NFPA. I can not find any info anywhere. Thanks and stay safe!

Well, I looked up the requirements in NFPA 1971, 2000 edition, and it is some really, really technical and specific requirements for the faceshield/goggle component. Section 4-2.7 specifies that, with the helmet deployed on an Alderson 50th-percentile male headform, the faceshied component shall provide the following field of vision when measured from the center of the eye: (1)A dihedral(?) angle of at least 85 degrees (2)An upper dihedral angle of at least 10 degrees (3)A lower dihedral angle of at least 40 degrees. (Sorry 'bout the long-winded technical mumbo-jumbo, I tried to paraphrase, but I wanted to give you a flavor of what the stated requirements are.) My guess is that the lower dihedral angle is where the bourkes fall short.(Webster says a dihedral angle is the figure formed by 2 intersecting planes) Since the bourkes don't come down over the face very far, that angle to the center of the eye is probably not steep enough. I don't have ANSI Z87.1 (Which is what OSHA references), but I'd bet the specifications in that are not as stringent as the ones in NFPA 1971.

Hope that was of some help!
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Comment

Technical mumbo-jumbo aside, I was under the impression that ANY helmet-mounted eye protection is coinsidered to be "secondary" eye protection, and that you still need goggles or approved safety glasses to be compliant, no matter what you have on your helmet.

Our department is currently considering going to a Cairns 1010, and it is being marketed to us with no shield or Bourkes, only a pair of goggles. We're being told that with just the goggles it is NFPA compliant. I doubt that MSA/Cairns would try to pass off this as being true unless it was.

On that note, LA City has never had any face shields at all (flip-down or Bourkes) on their helmets, just goggles. I used to think they looked funny with no shield, but it seems like they had it right all along.

My own experience is that flip-down shields just get dirty and scratched and soot-stained to the point you can't see through them, then they end up not getting flipped down at all and then you might as well not have one. I use safety glasses for anything that I need eye protection for, (and if my shield is down, it's because someone else flipped it down for me)! That or goggles are the way to go.

However, the Bourkes really look cool and are a must-have, just for the look, on a traditional helmet! Ha!

Firebraun

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Firebraun ]
      Fire service survival tips:
      1) Cook at 350...
      2) Pump at 150...
      3) When in doubt, isolate and deny entry...
      4) When in trouble, claim lack of adult supervision.

Comment

ESS Goggles has a good writeup.
        http://www.essgoggles.com/nfpa.html

/Jeff

Comment

Thanks for the good link Jeff. The bottom line is at the bottom (literally) of all the "technical mumbo-jumbo."

I took the liberty of copying it here:

///<
          1) Goggles that meet ANSI Z87.1 and NFPA 1971-2000 standards,

OR

2) Faceshields that meet NFPA 1971-2000, AND goggles meeting ANSI Z87.1>>>

So, if you use goggles that meet the criteria of choice 1, it doesn't matter if you have a flip-down shield, Bourkes, or any shield at all for that matter.

FB
          Fire service survival tips:
          1) Cook at 350...
          2) Pump at 150...
          3) When in doubt, isolate and deny entry...
          4) When in trouble, claim lack of adult supervision.

Comment

Thanks guys we have the Sam Houston and the modern face sheilds don't look right to me and because of the design of the helmet will not fully come down (makes me wonder if it is compliant??). Chief stated that we can take them off and replace with goggle (Look gay to me). I asked him about the bourkes and he told me to find out why they are OSHA compliant and not NFPA compliant. Thanks for the help!!!!!!

Comment

Houston with face shield IS COMPLIANT as issued by Cairns.Bourkes are not considered eye protection in Maine and unless you have goggles Maine DOL (Dept. of Labor)is issuing Depts. some pretty hefty fines.T.C.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X