Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest need in the Fire Service Today?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest need in the Fire Service Today?

Hi, my name is Jeff Forester. I am a student at Milwaukee Area Technical College majoring in Fire Science. I have to do a paper for class, finding out what other firefighters think is, "the greatest need in the fire service today". I already have a lot of the training, money, and staffing covered. If any one has some other idea's this would be a great help. If you could leave your name, rank, and department, this would also be appreciated.
    thanks
    Jeff Forester

Just my opinion, but what I honestly believe the fire service needs more than anything is "community support." Without the support of your community, you're not going to have money, training, or staffing, possibly not even a department.

Mike Redshaw
    Chief
    Purdy Fire Department
    Purdy, Missouri

Comment

More input in relation to national building codes. I'm tired of sitting back, handcuffed, watching a building go up "to code" that I know is going to come down under fire load.

Lt. E-229
      FDNY

Comment

1) manpower

2) Community Support

Although, I believe #2 effects #1 on both bringing in new members and retaining members. Also, I have seen members leave from a lack of community support. So maybe #2 should be #1...

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Adze ]
        IACOJ Agitator
        Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

1. Training
          2. High Quality PPE

Comment

I would definitely say community support and stricter building codes. Both of these are difficult to attain.

As for community support, I would say that it weighs heavily on the demographics of the area that you protect. No matter how many community and fire prevention programs that you are involved in, some people just don't care unless it is their **** that is burning up or their relative that is choking or having a heart attack. I know many of us have heard, "Yall need to be quicker when I call 911! All my dope almost burned up!" "****, yall are some worthless mutha f*uckers!" About 5 years ago, one of our houses was close for 6 months for renovations, and guess how many people call to inquire about where the firemen were? Zero!

As for building codes, they are being compromised so badly so things can be built cheaper. Just go visit a new construction site and ask the contractor about the safety of the building.
            "Hey man, nothin' I can do about it. It's up to code."

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: FireStick ]

Comment

Hmmm.... What do we need.....

Manpower. Some areas are having a hard time recruiting new members.

Better PPE.

More funding.

More funding.

Comment

I have to agree with E229lt, but I would say we need to do more in the way of prevention rather that suppression - Why do we sit back and do nothing while 80% of our fire deaths in this country are in residential occupancies and those buildings have the LEAST stringent code requirements? That alone is proof enough that building and fire codes are essential for protection of life and property. Why can't we convince our politicians to require residential sprinkler systems when it only costs about 1% more than building without them and will provide exponentially greater fire safety!!
                An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Comment

Besides the things you listed, (money,staffing, etc) I would say dependable comunication (radios that work in & out of bldgs.) and proper accountability system.

Comment

I will go with more local (community and local government) support. With this all of the other needs can be met...
                    Keep Safe!

Comment

Community support?
                      This was interesting reading diffirent areas of need. I am speaking from the angle of a carrer firefighter in a city of 20,000 to 25,000 and a small unincorperated rural area of contract fire service. Of corse man power is an ongoing problem for us as for most. Approx. 3000 calls by this years end. Fire/ALS amb.

I do not necessarily see community support a problem. But Community awarness is. Awarness of our job, needs both equipment and man power. In my personal opinion citizens in our area would support many diffirent approaches to funding improved Fire Service.

We need to find better ways to educate the people we serve. Both in prevention and communicating our needs as a service.

I think there is a constant redefinition of what the fire service is. Some may see this diffirently but think about it. How many yall come fires do we have these days? Over all number of fires are declining for most. Every day you find a new type of call that we are responding on. We are the fall guy for what ever the public can not or does not know how to take care of.

I have rambled a bit. But Community awarness would be at the top of the list for me.
                      Even in the light of 9-11. Many area citizens are aware we are here and that we take risks. But still have no idea what we need and there is indeed such a lack of resources.

Comment

I would have to chime in there right along with BFD847. But I would perhaps focus more on our local governments. Whoever is the Authority Having Jurisdiction over us is. I know it is our responsibility to educate these people but as any teacher would tell you its tough to teach someone that doesn't wantto listen to what you have to say. They seem willing to applaude our efforts and for the most part fund our basic needs. But do they truely understand our jobs. I'd say not. Only by getting them to understand the difficulties and dangers of the jobs we do can we ever expect them to fund us to the level necessary to be prepared for all the duties they in turn expect from us. They can then aid in educating the community when they are asked to justify the spending of people's tax dollars.
                        I should note that every suggestion on this page is a very valid one. Seems the point is..the needs of todays Fire Service are many and are changing everyday.
                        I shall fear no evil, for I am a Firefighter

Comment

TRUE LEADERS !

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse