This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bubbles,

I am only questioning how using money donated to the "liberty fund" which was advertised as going to the relief of the Sept. 11 charity, for purposes such as upgrading nationwide blood storage and teaching tolerance world wide. That has nothing to do with Sept. 11
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Comment

I have not done the exhaustive background check that others have done, but having read some of the early posts, I couldn't help feeling a bit sad for Josie. Maybe I'm more sensative than she (assuming, always dangerous!) is, but it seemed like some of them were getting close to being personal. Josie, I'm a Minnesota FF (thus my forum name), and it's possible you've come in the middle of the night to one of our fires to find shelter for a dsiplaced family, or, more importantly (just kidding), providing food so we ffs can stuff our faces with hotdogs at 3 AM. I know the Red Cross has it's problems that i hope are addressed, and I appreciate the willingness to pass on concerns to the national office. But I also want to say thanks to you and your colleagues for your work when you're needed.

Comment

There are 2 organizations that I refuse to give any money to Red Cross and the United Way. They must both be run by the same advertisement group. They play on a big event to get money then shell the majority or that out to smaller, less funded operations. As far as the red cross around here goes, you have to go to them they won't come to you. I have never seen a red cross worker at a structure fire. All my donations went straight to the widows and childrens fund, that way I know it was used as I intended it to be.
        When the defecation hits the oscillation I'll be there.

Comment

Ok one opinion.If I have an opinion that is based in fact and you dont agree with it,what give anyone the right to say I am not being open?Bubbles get over it.I had heard on a reputable news program that the red cross would do this to the fund.We will dole it out to other uses.Well **** on that! If I want to donate,like the others,I donate to a place where ALL FUNDS go to whatever cause I am donating too.
          Who advertised?I dont get that comment.
          Josie,no doubt your branch of the Red Cross is doing good but you know tehre are some bad apples in the bunch(not yours but around the country)We had a disaster drill where teh provided lunch and learned what their role was in an airplane crash.Well the fired(yes fired) clothes up into the trees at a height of 30 plus feet to simulate what we may encounter.They were not asked back for a few years.
          Now we all have opinions lets base them in fact and that way no one can argue with them.In my opinion it is time for an adult beverage see you out there

Comment

After countless days and countless hours at the site, I can think of no other volunteer organization that has done more than the Red Cross.

24 hours a day food, crisis counseling, rehab areas...you name it, they have been there. If there are some members who receive a salary to see that these people are mobilized and equipted, they are worth every penny.

Families have been cut checks as needed when they request help. There are MANY funds out there to be put on the shame board but not this one. Their smiles, a hand on our shoulder or an ear to hear our thoughts, They have been there 24/7 and never, ever, looked bored, tired or disgusted with what they are doing.

To all of you who set up shop at the Marriot Financial Center, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. You made comfortable, you made us eat our veggies and you even did the dishes. It's like having Mom at your side to help the hurt go away.

NOW LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The AMERICAN RED CROSS has been DOING THE RIGHT THING before and after 911. I would like to THANK them for all there efforts.
              ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
              NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
              CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
              LT. John Ginley Engine 40
              FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
              FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
              FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
              FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
              FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
              FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
              FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
              FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
              FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
              "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
              *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

Aside from the Red Cross raising funds for the victims, many cities around North America did a boot drive from citizens who could not really afford to give, but did and mass amounts of cash was personally delivered to FDNY. They say funds may reach 70 or 80 million, to be given to the victims and their families.
                The Federal death benefit for each firefighter is 250 thousand,pension money, private insurance benefit,etc,etc. Looks like they will be well looked after. When is enough enough. God bless the victims and their families.

Comment

Who is this Josie? Joined the forum the day this topic was posted and only posted to this topic save one post. Seems too coincidental to me, you decide.
                  As far as the Red Croos goes, the ground troops (volunteer) are very dedicated but the organization is a very big business. Expect the same from them as you would any other large business.
                  They are flush with new cash and expend it in areas that further thier bottom line. This is a one shot opportunity, so what if they make a few people mad by redistrubing donations. They still have their normal donor base and remain a non-profit organization.
                  Bottom line, this is vintage Red Cross, so remember it, pass this along to others and only contribute to organizations that you trust.
                  "It's not surprising, but it's a shame"

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts"
                  -A. Einstein

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
                  - Plato -

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Josie035:
                    Through its 1,000-plus chapters around the country, the Red Cross will expand Community Outreach Services, to include promoting tolerance; providing healing outreach; and expanding international humanitarian law efforts. We have so far expended $11.6 million for this service.

When I heard that the director of the Red Cross had suddenly turned in her "resignation", I knew something was up. Well what was up is crap like this expenditure above: 11 million bucks that is NOT getting into the hands of families of fallen FFs, EMS workers, Police, or other WTC victims. I was so furioius when I heard about the "diversion of funds", I could hardly see straight. And this is just a small part of the Red Cross SCAM that's going on.

I think donors have been duped big time, and they should collectively, file suit against the RC to demand a refund if 100% of their donations aren't going to disaster relief fund. And the clowns who run the RC should be locked up for their opportunism.

I heard that Giuliani manages some fund, which is set up to give 100% of its money to the Families. Is this true??? What is the name, address, etc??

Other than that, is there another venue (FF Union perhaps??) through which one can make a donation that would benefit a specific family that has a specific and urgent need????

"May God Bless your fallen Brothers and Sisters, and watch over you day and night."

Rob Riley
                    St. Louis

Comment

Someone in an earlier post brought up the question "Who is a victim??" when it comes to dispersement of relief funds. Well, after listening to news reports throughout the week, it seems that a "Victim" is now defined as anybody who in the most remote, round-about, connect-the-dots way, has suffered as a result of the 9-11 attack on our country.

So now we have these non-profit agencies, all with their own agenda, making a grab for some of the cash. For example, I heard some guy on NPR, a social worker from Boston, rattling off an entire list of groups (gay/lesbian, homeless shelters, substance abuse support, etc., etc.,) to which he was attempting to divert disaster relief funds.

This is just pure MADNESS!!!!

Rob Riley

Comment

I understand the responses from the FDNY Brothers, and I agree. The ground troops do an outstanding job, and have nothing at all to do with the financial mis-management of the Red Cross, so ragging on them serves no purpose. On the other hand, how can anyone justify multiple millions of dollars per year for a handful of top executives? That is a disgrace, plain and simple, and brings into question the integrity and values of the people overseeing the distribution of donated funds. The issue is where are the funds given for the rescue efforts and victims being spent, not how well the ground workers or the Red Cross as a whole perform. I, among others, am getting a little tired of having our profession or this attack used by every bullcrap artist out there to make a buck, get elected or get laid, so I guess the tolerence levels are a little low. We should try to fix the problems within the management, not blame the people who are honestly trying to make a difference, same as we are.

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: D Kelly ]

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: D Kelly ]

Comment

After reading all these post, I just had to get something off my chest. I don't agree with how the Red Cross is handling the 9-11 fund, but I can tell you, as far as the "ground troops" for the Red Cross, you can't find any better people.
                          I have seen them feed,clothe, and provide shelter for burned out families. I've seen them at floods in our area, grass and wildland fires, providing food and drink to our firefighters,etc. All this with one simple phone call, any hour of the day. They are always there when we need them.
                          I just wanted the "ground troops" to understand that they are appreciated greatly and I hate that some of the "uppers" of the Red Cross can bring shame to these great people.

Comment

I honestly can't believe people here would talk **** on the Red Cross. That disguist me. To the person who send you have to call them, they wont come to you or whatever, Thats BS. I live in a small town and we had a bad flood last year and there were active that night finding places for those people to stay and clothes for them too. I think Finally the red cross i getting the donations they deserve. I better not here anyone say anything bad about the salvation army, if it wasn't for them, i wouldn't of ate in New York. Night~

Comment

go to HTTP://www.foxnews.com click on the shows and go to the RILEY reports, he has had people on the news that say RED CROCKS arent going to give the People the intended money even though the people donating said to give it to the Disaster Victums. Bill O reliy says the red cross has stated they will not appear or the other disaster services for not helping they all said they are just too busy. This is a bunch or Cra- and the CONGRESS which gave the RED CROSS a national Foundation the congreesman need to be hauled over the fire too, for letting the red cross run AMOCK

Mark

Comment

America... what a wonderful country. Go back and read this entire string, take out a puke bag and have at it.

Look at what the terrorists have now done. Not only have they put us on the defensive and rocked our financial world, they even have us distrusting our most basic charitable organizations. I doubt they could have planned for that to happen in their wildest dreams. But, yet it has. Organizations like the Red Cross are the very foundation of how this country feels about itself and those who are in need. If we start attacking such groups openly, how are we ever going to be able to trust ANYONE?

No group is perfect, and all will have to make decisions that are unpopular. Regardless of where the money was "intended" to go, you can be assured that it did go to someplace where it was needed.

So, if you want to continue squabbling about this topic, go ahead. You're not helping the big effort by wasting your energies on this when there are bigger fish in the sea.

Let's put this to bed and just let it happen. There really isn't much we can do to change the outcome now, especially since a lot of the funds have already been dispersed.

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: MetalMedic ]
                                Richard Nester
                                Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X