This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Josie035:

part of the money is being spent on making sure we have the equipment necessary to keep the blood in useable and quality condition..that is necessary...

Josie
    Then maybe "you" should have told people that the money was going to things
    totally unrelated to the WTC disaster.
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Comment

This is from the Red Cross web page:

"Preserving America's Spirit: The Liberty Fund
      We have created The Liberty Fund as a designated disaster relief fund separate and distinct from the domestic Disaster Relief Fund and the International Relief Fund. The Liberty Fund will support the immediate and emerging efforts of the American Red Cross to alleviate human suffering brought on by the attacks of September 11. All donations received since September 11, 2001 will be placed in this disaster relief fund. "

Now they say the donations "will support the immediate and emerging efforts of the American Red Cross to alleviate human suffering brought on by the attacks of September 11. "

But this does not say that the donations are going to the victims. While there are legitimate other disaster related costs (such as food and shelter for firefighters at scene), updating the blood supply equipment and telecommunications is not related to this disaster. The Red Cross is "cashing in" on this disaster.

I know McDonalds and Mobil Gas stations have been collecting for the Red Cross with signs that said the $$ would benefit the people affected by the WTC/Pentagon disasters. I hope the Red Cross honors those promises.
      The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Comment

Oh, btw, my vote is

CROOKS!

Comment

once more....then i will wait until i am addressed or if i see something that should be addressed:

As of October 26, the Red Cross had spent more than $121 million to provide ongoing disaster relief to the nation following the events of September 11. So far, have spent dollars on the following categories of service:

Immediate disaster relief in the disaster-affected areas, which includes assistance such as food, emotional and spiritual counseling to survivors, families of those lost, rescue and recovery workers and others in need. On Mass Care (sheltering and feeding) and Family Assistance alone, so far we've already spent about $56.7 million.

The Family Gift Program, which provides immediate cash assistance to cover financial expenses of families who lost a breadwinner. So far, we've provided nearly $40 million to those in need. We anticipate many more cases to be opened.

For the many families of foreign nations who perished in the attacks, the Red Cross will be providing assistance through the International Family Gift Program. We have so far expended $300,000 for this service.

Another priority for the Red Cross is ensuring blood readiness and establishing a Strategic Blood Reserve. We have so far expended 11.6 million for this service.

As members of the military are deployed around the world, the American Red Cross will provide Armed Forces Emergency Services work, which includes around-the-clock emergency communication and support for military families. We have so far expended $200,000 for this service.

Through its 1,000-plus chapters around the country, the Red Cross will expand Community Outreach Services, to include promoting tolerance; providing healing outreach; and expanding international humanitarian law efforts. We have so far expended $11.6 million for this service. This money is going to help support public education on "what to do" when faced with new types of threats (like anthrax), expanding the Masters of Disaster program to include educating children on new types of threats and opening and supporting compassionate centers across the country for people to grieve and heal.

We have so far expended $1.6 million for other indirect service costs. Like the costs associated with providing service delivery-fuel for emergency response vehicles and opening and supporting the 800 number. Auditing and accounting is also included in this category, along with operation support surrounding the Disaster Operation Center.

let me know if you want any further information...

Josie

Comment

Another priority for the Red Cross is ensuring blood readiness and establishing a Strategic Blood Reserve. We have so far expended 11.6 million for this service.
            People didn't give money for this. This is UNRELATED to the WTC disaster, this is an upgrade in the Red Cross' equipment which was not CAUSED by the WTC/Pentagon disaster.

As members of the military are deployed around the world, the American Red Cross will provide Armed Forces Emergency Services work, which includes around-the-clock emergency communication and support for military families. We have so far expended $200,000 for this service.
            People didn't give money for this. This is UNRELATED to the WTC disaster, this is an upgrade in the Red Cross' equipment which was not CAUSED by the WTC/Pentagon disaster.

Through its 1,000-plus chapters around the country, the Red Cross will expand Community Outreach Services, to include promoting tolerance; providing healing outreach; and expanding international humanitarian law efforts. We have so far expended $11.6 million for this service. This money is going to help support public education on "what to do" when faced with new types of threats (like anthrax), expanding the Masters of Disaster program to include educating children on new types of threats and opening and supporting compassionate centers across the country for people to grieve and heal.

Comment

(i sent this earlier but it didn't work)

i will wait to be addressed to reply any further or until i see a post that needs to be addressed...

As of October 26, the Red Cross had spent more than $121 million to provide ongoing disaster relief to the nation following the events of September 11. So far, have spent dollars on the following categories of service:

Immediate disaster relief in the disaster-affected areas, which includes assistance such as food, emotional and spiritual counseling to survivors, families of those lost, rescue and recovery workers and others in need. On Mass Care (sheltering and feeding) and Family Assistance alone, so far we've already spent about $56.7 million.

The Family Gift Program, which provides immediate cash assistance to cover financial expenses of families who lost a breadwinner. So far, we've provided nearly $40 million to those in need. We anticipate many more cases to be opened.

For the many families of foreign nations who perished in the attacks, the Red Cross will be providing assistance through the International Family Gift Program. We have so far expended $300,000 for this service.

We have so far expended $1.6 million for other indirect service costs. Like the costs associated with providing service delivery-fuel for emergency response vehicles and opening and supporting the 800 number. Auditing and accounting is also included in this category, along with operation support surrounding the Disaster Operation Center.

Josie

Comment

no_name_FF:

people DID give money to preserve the blood they gave...people gave money, time, blood, sweat and tears...how would you feel if you took off work to go give blood and they threw it away?...those people still down there digging away may need some of that blood...isn't it good to know they would have it if need be?..because we took the measures necessary to make sure they had it?

as far as the liberty fund goes...there are many things this covers..INCLUDING but not limited to, giving money directly to the families affected...we are there to help the ems/firefighters/police and everyone who gives their time to help in this disaster...this all costs money and people who want to help in ALL areas gave money...the families DESERVE to get help...monetarily, emotionally, physically and spritutally...if you want your money to go directly to the families then state that...if you want to help in an area that is needed...then do not specify...it is up to every person to decide how they want to help...but i will tell you this, that the people i personally sent to new york to help did this on their own time...they were not paid for doing this...they have been witness to many difficult things but were very glad to be there...and they needed financial help to get there and to be fed, sheltered, supported...they were well trained in this effort...

we have to look at all the areas involved here...the families are the big concern..yes...but please understand that it takes money to get people to help the families...to feed the familes and all the workers...to shelter everyone...to put clothing on those people who lost everything...

and if we do not educate people in tolerance...like was posted...then this could happen again and again...we need to mitigate these problems...stop them before they hit or lessen the effects...

there are many areas affected here...and red cross deals with all of them to help everyone...

Josie

Comment

I had no idea that no one knew about this. I still think the Red Cross needs an overhaul. Please don't think that I am being heartless, I'm not, but when I send money to help the people in NY/DC, that is where the money should go. Not to upgrade equipment or to buy turkey's for a family that is not in my community. I donate to organizations in my own community for the needy we have. That money for the 9-11 tragedy should go there, NO WHERE ELSE.
                  Craig Walker

Union Strong...Union Proud

An Irishman is the only person in the world who would walk over 12 naked women to get to a bottle of Stout.

Comment

Make up your own mind:
                    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...ws%2Dheadlines
                    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,...373871,00.html
                    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/wews/20.../938340_1.html
                    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2001...edcross_2.html

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/2001...red_cross.html

Do some quick math. Assuming two things, one is that RC is giving $300,000,000 to families and there were 5,000 deaths nationwide, that's $60,000 per family. If the full $547,000,000 was used, thats $109,000 per family.

Comment

no_name_FF:

people DID give money to preserve the blood they gave...people gave money, time, blood, sweat and tears...how would you feel if you took off work to go give blood and they threw it away?...those people still down there digging away may need some of that blood...isn't it good to know they would have it if need be?..because we took the measures necessary to make sure they had it?
                      Show me one person who gave a MONETARY donation to the Red Cross or Liberty Fund who earmarked the $$ for blood supply....

Fact is, you can't. I understand the sacrafice that people made with giving blood, but when you give cash, charge or check for one purpose and it goes for something else, that's a shame.

as far as the liberty fund goes...there are many things this covers..INCLUDING but not limited to, giving money directly to the families affected...we are there to help the ems/firefighters/police and everyone who gives their time to help in this disaster...this all costs money and people who want to help in ALL areas gave money...the families DESERVE to get help...monetarily, emotionally, physically and spritutally...if you want your money to go directly to the families then state that...if you want to help in an area that is needed...then do not specify...it is up to every person to decide how they want to help...but i will tell you this, that the people i personally sent to new york to help did this on their own time...they were not paid for doing this...they have been witness to many difficult things but were very glad to be there...and they needed financial help to get there and to be fed, sheltered, supported...they were well trained in this effort....
                      What about the Liberty fund $$ that are going to teach "tolerance" and "humanity" in Texas (no offense to Texas, just needed to pick a far away State)???? Did people give for this? NO! They gave to help the "victims" of the WTC/Pentagon tragedies. The Red Cross was very very very secret with their plans to use the $$$ elsewhere.

we have to look at all the areas involved here...the families are the big concern..yes...but please understand that it takes money to get people to help the families...to feed the familes and all the workers...to shelter everyone...to put clothing on those people who lost everything...
                      That is what the money was given for. There are many other funds that are going to the victims and the victims only, not some opportunistic charity that just figured out a way to fund all their projects by not informing unsuspecting donors.

and if we do not educate people in tolerance...like was posted...then this could happen again and again...we need to mitigate these problems...stop them before they hit or lessen the effects...
                      Teaching tolerance is going to stop attacks like the Sept. 11 ones?????

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!!

Do you think that any of the firefighters on this board are going to buy that load of CRAP?

Get a clue.

there are many areas affected here...and red cross deals with all of them to help everyone...

Josie
                      Yes they do. They get people to give to help the victims and then use the money on all sorts of other projects. The blood is not helping the victims. Teaching tolerance is not helping the victims. $200,000 on "administrative expenses" is not helping the victims.

People gave to help the victims of the disasters. NOT to fund the Red Cross' operating budget for the year. When you raised $340 million last year, I'm sure the $200-300 million you conned people out of this year will make for some great formal dinners!!!!

Comment

i have not been to one dinner, been given one penny...but i have given many many hours...many tears...everything i have to help those in need...I AM THERE to help those who need help...day or night...i work in a very small chapter...we all work very hard to be there for anyone who needs help no matter when or how...all we do is GIVE...we take not one thing...

maybe you could send your opinions and frustrations to National...let them know how you feel...let them know what you think should be happening...they need to hear what is on your minds...

i am a cog in the system...i am a worker...i make important decisions for my chapter only...and you can bet that every single penny donated to my chapter is accepted with respect and given to the area that it is requested...we do not get govt monies...we have to raise the money ourselves...to help our community!...we do not get a salary...we do not get any money from the relief fund...we pass that along and still need to find money to put people in hotels at 3:00 a.m....feed a family of 6 for a week...put clothes on the backs of all of those people...give them toiletries for the time they are away...help find a place to put their dog...find further assistance for them that we cannot give...we do all that!...and more...that is why we depend on the generosity of others...so we can be there...to put down all of us is only going to hurt the people in the community who desperately need help...

like i said, you should speak your mind...but keep in mind...what you say and how you say it and the affects it will have in the future to someone who may need our help...

I AM THERE BECAUSE HELP CAN'T WAIT....

Josie

Comment

i have not been to one dinner, been given one penny...but i have given many many hours...many tears...everything i have to help those in need...I AM THERE to help those who need help...day or night...i work in a very small chapter...we all work very hard to be there for anyone who needs help no matter when or how...all we do is GIVE...we take not one thing...
                          How much does Red Cross take for adminstrative costs?

Comment

Josie:

No one is insulting you, or attacking you. I understand that you believe in the Red Cross and what they stand for and that you simply volunteer to help to provide care to victims of disasters. But the Red Cross made some serious mistakes in this case. They did not fully indicate where the monies would go - I personally donated $300 to the fund thinking it would go to a family of a fallen firefighter and it did not. That ****es me off quite frankly. Understand where we are coming from....please. We are firefighters in here, this could have happened to any of us, or to any of those we love - coworkers, family members, etc. in the fire service. We are angry, YES, we are outraged, YES, and we have a right to be, YES! The Red Cross needs to address where the money went specifically..and I don't mean "equipment for keeping blood good", I mean SPECIFICALLY. I want to know what organizations got money, or if it went to 100 families of firefighters, or if it went to buy shoes for some kid in China. I want complete knowledge of the money and where it went. Can I get this by contacting "National"? If not, then why are they withholding information from the American public that provided the money to them in the first place. It all sounds a little fishy to me....I wanted my money to go to a firefighters family, not to pay for equipment that preserves blood..can't this be done in area hospitals and in State blood facilities that already have this equipment on hand instead of buying all new equipment for the Red Cross that will only sit in a closet until the next disaster arises?
                            Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

Josie, please don't take any of this personally. There's a lot of frustration because all of us as individuals are so helpless. There was literally nothing most of us could do except donate blood or money.

If (and only if) your preliminary breakdown from the national office is accurate, then someone at national should be publicly horsewhipped. The decision to use donated disaster funds for other purposes - regardless of how good those purposes might be - was a horrible decision. It's one that will haunt the Red Cross for years if it's not fixed.

The national office should get on the ball and explain the who, what, where and how before the rumor mill gets any more cranked up.

For what it's worth, in our area the Red Cross comes whenever it's called, provides prompt, courteous help to those in need and never, never has been one to seek out the media. Josie, keep up the good work. Do what you can to get the national to respond to these postings.
                              Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

Comment

My bottom line on this, and I'm sure I have a lot of support on this board, is that when people give money that they expect and are led to believe will be going to a certain relief effort, it is wrong to take this money and use it for other things.

If Red Cross waited two years and said "hey, we gave away $xxx and no one else applied, so we are doing this stuff" I don't think that anyone would mind.

What I have a problem with (and I imagine others here do too) is the Red Cross creating a special fund for the Sept. 11 disasters and then spending that money on things that are unrelated to Sept. 11 and are part of the Red Cross' regular mission.

That is just wrong.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X