This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about doors

I work in a 144 Room hotel (7 stories) And the Management keeps pne of the stairwell doors at the top of the building locked.( you need a key to get out) The other stairwell is open, I personally see a Problem with this. Does anyone else have any comments, Thoughts, Suggestions?
    C.M. Baker
    Georgia

Well since i have nothing better to do i figured id reply, (sleep would be nice though). Im a safety science major at IUP and my professor knows everything about safety codes, i mean everything. Ill ask him thursday in class, im sure it will bring up a good discussion

Comment

Hi Charlie,

From your question, I'm not sure whether you mean the door in one of the stairs is locked to prevent egress into the stair or locked to prevent re-entry into the building or locked to prevent access to the roof. If it is locked to prevent egress from one of the occupied floors, then there is definitely a problem - that would be a code violation no matter where you are. However, if it is locked to prevent access to the roof or to prevent re-entry into the building, then it may or may not be a problem depending on the code requirements in your jurisdiction. I believe that Georgia uses the Standard Buiding Code and I'm not familiar with the requirements set forth in that code. Here in Maryland, we use the BOCA Building Code (soon to be changed to the IBC) and NFPA 101 Life Safety Code. Since access to the roof is not normally considered an exit route, that would not present a problem, and locking the doors against re-entry into the building is permissible with certain specific arrangements. Best bet is to find out what the specific code requirements for your area are.
      An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X