This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 30 years, I'm in style

My wife was just reading how it seems everyone on the planet is wearing FDNY shirts, hats and whatever. She put the paper down, looked at me and said, "well, you're finally stylish."

Guess I've been out of style for the past 22 years Wore my first FDNY t-shirt when I was five and never really stopped! Some of my shirts look like swiss cheese I've worn them so much. Take care E229lt
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

Luft,thirty year guys are allways in style,just the newbies don't know what that style is.It's the grace(or smarts) of experience,and damn don't it look good on us! Hehe T.C.

Comment

Hey Loo, she hit it right on the head.

My wife doesn't complain anymore when I walk out the door with my Levi 560's on and my Bayonne Ladder 3 shirt. You know how many times I have heard, "Don't you have anything else in that closet to wear besides blue jeans and a fire shirt!?" over the past 6 years of marriage.

Take care and be safe Loo.

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: FitzBFDT2 ]

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: FitzBFDT2 ]
        Kevin M. Fitzhenry
        Captain, Rescue Company 1
        City of Bayonne (NJ) Fire Department

Comment

FD shirts will always be "in" in my book. I've been on a mission ever since I joined the FD to collect as many as possible. You can never have too many FD shirts
          HELL YEAH!!!
          The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

Comment

Ya know I have only 4 polo shirts, about 7 Wrangler brushpopers, jeans and a heaping load of fire t-shirts
            still looking for more fdny's though besides it's hot as hell down here ya gotta have a t-shirt on!

Comment

If I had one...I would be wearing it..... Only thing I have been wearing (well....pants also....hehehehehe) is a shirt with the IAFF emblem on front with a black band through it and a picture of the brothers raisingthe flag on the back... Any idea who they were and their riding assignment???

E229....LKet me hear from you brother!
              09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
              ------------------------------
              IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
              "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
              BMI Investigator
              ------------------------------
              The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

<<
                Firefighters from Engine 255 and Ladder 157 in Brooklyn had been digging in the rubble for survivors for six grueling hours, when they got the call to immediately evacuate.

Firefighter Dan McWilliams from Ladder 157 headed out with the rest of his crew. It was then that the 35-year-old firefighter spotted a flag flying from a yacht docked behind the World Financial Center. He made his way to the boat, rolled the flag up around its pole to be sure it didn't touch the ground, and carried the pole back to the evacuation area.

As McWilliams passed his buddy and fellow 157 firefighter George Johnson, he slapped him on the shoulder. "Gimme a hand, will ya, George?"

"I knew exactly what he was doing," Johnson, 36, said.

Then Billy Eisengrein of Rescue 2, another Brooklyn fire company, and McWilliams' childhood friend from Staten Island, jumped in, "You need a hand?"

The three firefighters quickly found a perfect spot -- a single flagpole anchored in the rubble about 20 feet off the ground on West Street.

They climbed a makeshift ramp so they could easily raise the flag in its new home. It was at that moment that Record photographer Thomas E. Franklin spotted the three from a distance.>>>

Comment

I bought my wife our departments new jacket a year ago. I think she may have worn it a couple times. Now that it's cooler, she's been wearing it all the time. She even ask to wear one of my FD t-shirts the other day. Believe me, she looks alot better in one of my t-shirts than I do and I'd let her wear one to bed.
                  Thanks E229lt for letting us in on the details of the American Flag raising at the hallow ground. Ooorah to Brothers McWilliams, Johnson, and Eisengrein!

Got your back!
                  See you on the big one!<br />Billy Reiter 1st Lieutenant/Chaplain available 24 7

Comment

Is the yacht owner still looking for his flag?

Thanks Loo

Comment

Nice to see that after all the years firefighters are finally stylish. Too bad it took so many brothers to die to do it.

Comment

Thanks Loo,
                        I know a couple of other guys that would like to know the story behind that picture.
                        And I personally think we firefighters have always been in style it just took the world a little longer to realize it.
                        Shawn M. Cecula
                        Firefighter
                        IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

E229, you scared the water out of me when I saw the header of "After 30 years, I'm finally in style"

I thought you were gonna tell us leisure suits were coming back....I got rid of mine 22 years ago.

That being said, my FDNY cap is on everyday. Funny thing is since Sept. 11, not a single person has asked what it means. Before then, everytime I wore it, checkers in the grocery line, people I met on the street and such had to ask what it meant. I'd tell them and then they say "well why doesn't it just say NYFD?"

"Hey, I don't know, its a NY thing" I tell 'em.

I hurt and pray for you guys and your fallen everyday.

William
                          It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Comment

My wife's usually surprised when I'm NOT wearing a fire shirt.
                            Chief Frank Rizzio
                            Pea Ridge Fire Dept.sigpic
                            Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Comment

Gotta agree....I've accumulated a decent collection of FDNY "stuff" over the years. I've always worn my now stylish FDNY Hat (it's a definately worn well over the years and owes me nothing) and the various shirts I've picked up. Much like Mongo, I'm no longer having to explain what FDNY means, and I'm as proud as ever to wear my FDNY stuff as my little way to support the Brothers who have gone on before us, as well as the ones left behind to carry on.

You all are in our thoughts and prayers.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X