This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retire the FDNY unit #'s???

Ok, there's more important things going on right now, like finding any possible people still alive. But something to consider in the weeks and months to come... A lot of apparatus needs to be replaced. Should the FDNY follow the lead of the sports world and "retire" those company #'s that had LODD's forever and re-number the new units as a tribute to all those who gave their lives to help all those innocent people?? Just a thought we were kicking around at the station after a call tonight but if a Yankee or Met can have a uniform # put on a wall forever because they can catch or hit a ball good then why cant these Engine and Ladder #'s be retired as well? Again there's more important things right now, but something to consider, and hopefully never, EVER, have to consider ever again..... Just my 2 cents and I'll get off my soap box now. Of course if it meant all the injuries and deaths never happened they could have ALL the units #'s, unfortunatley that won't happen.
    Edwardsville Emergency Services, Station 10. Home to the 11 Engine, 15 Rescue (Triple Nickel), 113 Truck (Albatross), 14 Ambulance, 15 Ambulance.
    We came, we saw, WE KICKED IT'S A $$!!!

As very unfortunate as it may be, a member's death, especially in the line of duty,at a fire,or rescue,is part of the Company's history and legacy.........To retire those numbers would be turning your backs on those who have fought so hard, and GIVEN so much in honor of thier company.

Your Company is your family...and even though it is only (?) a number on the side of a truck you don't own.....it is Yours and your Brothers till retirement or death.

God Speed Brothers
    FTM - PTB

Comment

These souls will be on the wall of honor so dropping company numbers is kinda I dont know how to say this but I guess wrong(?)Those companies are identified by their numbers and are proud of them.I mean what would we call Rescue 4?They have been hit hard with the Fathers Day tragedy(seems like a million years ago)and now losing more members.
      We should do what FDNY has done for years.Place these members on the wall of honor and place a plauqe at whatever they decide to build at 1 WTC.
      But this is just something to talk about here to break the tension for now.Tributes will be made once all our brothers and sisters are recovered.

Comment

Not to sound insensitive... NO! Just because a ball player's number was retired doesn't make it right to... if you'll excuse me... take a unit out of service, which is essentially what you are doing.
        What, if a person dies his family should change their name???... Take their NAME out of service???
        Their BADGE numbers WILL be retired.
        I can think of no better tribute to our brothers and sisters than to have their units LIVE ON!
        And yeah, I think it's too early to even contemplate.

Comment

Does anyone know where to find a list of the FDNY companies that have missing personnel?

(Like a run sheet showing what units were on scene before the collapse?)

Comment

I agree...dont retire them.....a memorial on site and their names forever etched in stone...

Mic13...hang in there....they will let us know the bad news soon enough.

51 truck....I have friend there and was relieved to know he was on light duty..God bless you guys... As the president said today..."we hear you...the world hears you"

God bless you all in your loss
            09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
            ------------------------------
            IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
            "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
            BMI Investigator
            The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Absolutely not. You are your company and the company is you. The memories of these brave individuals will live on through the company itself and the members who staff them now and into the future. A company number is family and it is pride and held close to the heart.

Comment

No.
                If you look at the history of FDNY, many companies already have gone through multiple company numbers...other companies have closed.

i.e. Brooklyn Engine 29 became Engine 129 of the Metropolitan Fire Department and later became Engine 229. Engine 29 Manhattan was disbanded. There was never another Engine 129 organized other than 29/129/229. (Hope E229lt doesn't mind me using his company for an example!)

Anyway, I don't think anyone would really notice the "retired" numbers as different from disbanded companies or never used numbers
                IACOJ Canine Officer
                20/50

Comment

It sounds like a nice tribute, but out of the ashes, debris, and losses, the company will arise. Many have gone before and more will go in the future. Don't retire the company. Let the company continue on as a tribute to the members and as a tribute that we as Americans will not be put out of commission by the horrible act that caused of family members to depart.

Comment

Granted we're just a little crap hole town and something like that scale would NEVER be able to happen here just for the simple fact we're to small to ever have anything that big happen here. I'd DEFINATLY want things started new, sort of like a symbolic phoenix rising from the ashes and starting new. History of our companies or no history (and my grandfather and great grandfather were both members of the company I am now a member of so I'd be loosing a lot of history on a personal note if it did happen). In time enough history can be made. But it was just a thought we kicked around the other night... I never did say it was a GOOD thought... I do see the point in keeping things the same as they were though.....

I also want to state this was posted in what is an emotional time for all of us and was intended as a tribute and in no way is intended as an insult to any person or history past, presant, or future of the FDNY or anywhere else for that matter... If anyone has been offended or upset by this suggestion I apologise. Maybe the topic should just be deleted to prevent anybody else getting upset over the idea???

[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: One13Truck ]
                    Edwardsville Emergency Services, Station 10. Home to the 11 Engine, 15 Rescue (Triple Nickel), 113 Truck (Albatross), 14 Ambulance, 15 Ambulance.
                    We came, we saw, WE KICKED IT'S A $$!!!

Comment

Just because people may disagree, it in no way reflects poorly on the respect that was intended by the suggestion. A baseball/football/hockey player becomes associated with a number when he becomes a "great-one". All the members of the engine, ladder and rescue companies are associated with those numbers, both those who have died, and those who are still alive and pouring out their souls during the long operations underway in New York. By continuing these companies, they will serve as a tribute to the dedication of ALL the members, and a living memorial to those who have died. What a great honor to serve on these companies, and know that you are assuming the responsibility for upholding the highest of traditions.

Our thoughts go out to all the victims, the rescuers and all those effected by these events. God Bless America.
                      Tom
                      The Fire Service ... where there is a right way, a wrong way, the Chief's way, the Deputy's way, the Captain's way, the Lieutenant's way ....

Comment

One13Truck,
                        Your idea, based on what is done in other areas was a good one. But when it comes to fire companies and firefighters, it's like some of the other guys said we are known by our companies.
                        How many times do you associate some one by his/her company numbers.
                        1261Truckie

Comment

one13truck

No disrespect was meant by anyone who disagreed. I applaud your thoughts and respect your urge to honor our brothers and sisters....
                          09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                          IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                          "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                          BMI Investigator
                          The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Mic13,

Check www.nyfd.com for a list of FDNY members still unaccounted for. There are two lists, one for FF and one for Officers. The lists give name, unit, and batallion.

The lists are long.

My thoughts and prayers are with all members of the FDNY. Stand Tall.

Jim

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X